Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you think of the Columbus Alive?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion What do you think of the Columbus Alive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

How many people think the Alive sucks ever since the Dispatch took it over? It started out pretty stodgy, but for a while it was beating out TOP as the “hip” alternative paper. Nowdays I don’t even bother to pick it up –particularly considering the fact that they dropped the world’s best advice column, Savage Love.

lifeliberty
    Participant

it’s not doing so bad

Ndcent

I agree the Alive has gotten far more sucky since Dispatch got hold of it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s a link to a bunch of first impressions back when the ownership changed:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4414

Paul
    Participant

I thought it sucked before.

It’s pretty much impossible to navigate now and all it has is fluff articles.

The Hegemo

Yeah, I don’t even bother to pick it up anymore unless I’m eating alone in a restaurant or something and just need something to read.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I haven’t picked it up the last two weeks. anymore I pick one up when I run out of paper to spread under the litter boxes.

Paul
    Participant

The Hegemo wrote Yeah, I don’t even bother to pick it up anymore unless I’m eating alone in a restaurant or something and just need something to read.

I would rather eat alone than with Columbus Alive! as my companion.

Schoolboy
    Participant

all i have ever actually read it for, was to see what was on the calander.

it doesn’t seem so different to me. while i would agree that there are more “fluff” articles, that some what makes it more legit to me. simply because a lot of what i read before felt like friend’s helping out friends. perhaps i am wrong, but that was a general opinion that seemed to be shared. by of course those not getting any write ups :lol:

always greatly enjoy the food issue, but i have not had the time to read it. actually, all of the issues that have the best of’s i enjoy. if for nothing more than to dissagree with some of it, or to find new places to visit in the city.

honavery

It wasn’t great before, but I agree, it does suck now. [sarcasm]I particularly enjoyed their restaurant review of Applebees a few months back.[/sarcasm]

Savage Love was fantastic though before. Can you read that online anywhere?

gsmittynd

I think both Alive and The Other Paper have royaly sucked as of late. I am just waiting for the first issue of the Columbus Underground paper to be published.

The Hegemo

honavery wrote

Savage Love was fantastic though before. Can you read that online anywhere?

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove

mellotron
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote I haven’t picked it up the last two weeks. anymore I pick one up when I run out of paper to spread under the litter boxes.

Ha! We painted recently, and having Alive right outside our building was very helpful!

shroud
    Participant

kitoba wrote How many people think the Alive sucks ever since the Dispatch took it over? It started out pretty stodgy, but for a while it was beating out TOP as the “hip” alternative paper. Nowdays I don’t even bother to pick it up –particularly considering the fact that they dropped the world’s best advice column, Savage Love.

Honestly, it serves the same purpose for me which it always did – something to kill time reading if I happen to be hanging out somewhere that had some copies of it laying around. Paper publications are even more out of the loop for me than TV news… though they can be good about collecting event information, for the most part the Internet serves all those needs.

As for “Savage Love”, if you are looking for a copy of it in print around town, I think it’s in Outlook Weekly these days…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Paul wrote I would rather eat alone than with Columbus Alive! as my companion.

I nominate this for “Best Quote of the Day”. Cracked me up.

gsmittynd wrote I think both Alive and The Other Paper have royaly sucked as of late. I am just waiting for the first issue of the Columbus Underground paper to be published.

Uhm… why would we want to take a step backwards? :lol:

Honestly, I think the Alive is alright. I think they have good intentions with their product, Dispatch ownership or not. Sure, there are more ads (some of which feel out of place with what the readership/demographic is supposed to be) and some of the articles are a bit fluffy, but who cares? I don’t think anyone picking it up is expecting hard-hitting journalism. It’s an entertainment weekly, and they do a pretty decent job of covering that.

My only big complaint is that the newspaper ink rubs off too easily and their back-page ads are usually a pretty dark/black one, so I always feel like I need to wash my hands immediately after reading it. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: