Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ideas needed for new Vegetarian Diner concept

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Ideas needed for new Vegetarian Diner concept

This topic contains 177 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sarahb 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
  • Author

sarahb
    Participant

This post is inspired partially by bristol’s awesome thread last week and all the great feedback cu gave.

You may have heard that, me and jennie of pattycake bakery and rad dog tawd are in the process of opening a vegetarian diner. Our concept is an all day breakfast diner with a few dinner specials in the evening. we are looking for input on what columbus would want from a veg diner.

What would you want to see in a diner?

What would you like to see on the menu?

Where do you think would be an ideal location?

Do you have any name suggestions?

just wanting to start some dialog on what columbus would like to see.

Tenzo
    Participant

sarahb wrote >>
    This post is inspired partially by bristol’s awesome thread last week and all the great feedback cu gave.
    You may have heard that, me and jennie of pattycake bakery and rad dog tawd are in the process of opening a vegetarian diner. Our concept is an all day breakfast diner with a few dinner specials in the evening. we are looking for input on what columbus would want from a veg diner.
    What would you want to see in a diner?
    What would you like to see on the menu?
    Where do you think would be an ideal location?
    Do you have any name suggestions?
    just wanting to start some dialog on what columbus would like to see.

A nice big dry aged, prime porterhouse steak.
    So I don’t think I’m in your demographic

Hael

brothermarcus
    Participant

it would be neat, if this is going to be a “diner”, for it to somewhat resemble an old-school diner in some menu aspects…

– really good chili, sticks to your ribs in the winter.
    – bagels, serious bagels (The New York bagel contains salt and malt and is boiled in water prior to baking in a standard oven. The resulting New York bagel is puffy with a moist crust)
    – burgers, sandwiches (various), fries, lots of grilled things.
    – homestyle sides like baked beans, slaw, etc…
    – rad dogs, of course
    – breakfast anytime you are open (pancakes, biscuits and gravy, etc…)
    – late night hours
    – strong black coffee, killer cherry pie
    – homestyle dinner specials that don’t take more than 2 minutes for waitstaff to explain.

/edit – almost forgot pickles, big juicy pickles… the more the merrier.

joev
    Participant

I would love to see a vegetarian restaurant that’s not overtly vegetarian – just like Rad Dog and Pattycake. The food tastes great and happens to not contain animal products. I’m not a big breakfast person even when meat/dairy is involved, so I’m more drawn to the dinner specials idea. Though some cultures eat veg dishes for breakfast, so maybe borrow from them – like foole m damas from Egypt, yogurt and honey from Greece, etc.

I think you could really hit an unfilled niche if you cooked food with seasonally available local produce as a diner. Maybe take some non typical dishes from different cuisines – in the summer, a Turkish-style eggplant stew would be great. In the spring, a dish with favas, etc. In winter, a Korean-style dish with lots of pickled vegetables. Nice thing is that these are mostly easy to produce in large batches in advance.

I am not a Vegetarian AT ALL. The first and last time I went was with my then girlfriend and all I remember is a spattering of potatoes, mushrooms and lot’s of spice. I left hungry and we went for a steak after dinner for me.

That being said, you need to have some crossover items. Something maybe between 100% vegetarian and 100% rare beef. Then I would come and so would my vegetarian friends.

Brant
    Participant

Oatmeal, grits, porridge. Stuff like that.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

A kick ass bloody mary. Not from a GFS premade mix.

Biggest suggestion: Don’t let Chrissie Hynde get involved, so you don’t have quotes like “World Peace Begins in the Kitchen” on your menu.

Roland
    Participant

A diner must have pies.

I’d be happy with the standard breakfast fare: eggs, hash, toast, biscuits, gravy, etc. Perhaps you guys could come up with a vegan bacon or sausage alternative?

On a side note, remember that good, prompt service is just as important as the food.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Bristol Bar wrote >>
    I am not a Vegetarian AT ALL. The first and last time I went was with my then girlfriend and all I remember is a spattering of potatoes, mushrooms and lot’s of spice. I left hungry and we went for a steak after dinner for me.
    That being said, you need to have some crossover items. Something maybe between 100% vegetarian and 100% rare beef. Then I would come and so would my vegetarian friends.

The problem with that would be crossover of cooking items. I know that I don’t like to use the same cooking utensils that were used to cook meat. That said, you really SHOULD try the vegetarian dining thing again. Go someplace like Dragonfly or something like that where the people really know what they’re doing instead of just having some non-meat items on the menu, usually just a salad. I’m not a little guy and I’m never hungry after a good vegetarian meal.

To the topic, I have been dying for a good place to get soup and salad downtown.

surber17
    Participant

Please put this downtown. OH, the old Soup Man’s place on High and Broad would be great!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I agree, market it as locally-supplied and let the menu change with seasonal availability. MMmmmm, Ohio maple syrup on Clifton Mill pancakes, maybe some Amish jelly on the side, or hash browns from Ohio potatoes…

Offer some vegan items, too.

AmyD
    Participant

i think they are going for all-veg, right? i love tofu-rancheros, and yes, great pie and coffee. some kind of fried potato hash too. and banana whoopie pies always on the menu

sarahb
    Participant

so i am hearing old time diner feel, pies, soups, hash browns.

Roland, you are totally right, good service is very important.

2 people have suggested a downtown location. what does everyone else think about location?

these suggestions are great so far! thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.