Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

AmyD said:
    I think this might be off-topic, but of everyone who works at home, what do you do with your kids during the summer? We struggle with this every year. The ones needing care are now 8 and 10. We usually get a sitter for a couple days a week, but they (the sitters) end up lazy by the end of the summer. I sometimes think I should force them to fend for themselves during the day, but then they’d be inside all day. They can get their own meals and stuff. Just wanted to get your opinion on that.

What about a day camp somewhere? That was what we did during the summers. I think we went nearly the whole time we were off of school.

murfmurphy said:
    What about a day camp somewhere? That was what we did during the summers. I think we went nearly the whole time we were off of school.

Yeah, those can be great during the summer. When I was in high school, I worked as a day camp counselor for one of the elementary schools in the district that had a summer day camp program. Great job. I had the older girls (just graduated 4 – 6 grade). There were periods in the day, just like school. In each period, we’d go to activities together (arts and crafts, archery, etc), or I’d organize activities (usually sports, taught them double dutch jump roping, etc). If kids needed summer school classes, they’d go to whatever classes they needed and rejoin us in other periods. I hope programs like this still exist.

Holy crap! I just realized, my girls are in their 30’s now!

–correction: some are in their 40’s! I still see them as elementary school kids. The age difference between high school and elementary school is big at that time. I have friends that are younger than that, now. But anyway…wow, time flies…

AmyD
    Participant

Thanks you guys. I get all nervous about camps for some reason.

rus
    rus
    Participant

AmyD said:

I hear Crystal Lake is nice.

TaraK
    Participant

rus said:
    Think he was asking if she changed her mind about having kids.

I assumed the same, Rus. But I’m okay with any promotion of emergency contraceptives as well.

rus
    rus
    Participant

TaraK said:
    I assumed the same, Rus. But I’m okay with any promotion of emergency contraceptives as well.

Sure, but that’s a whole other thing.

derm
    derm
    Participant

AmyD said:

We bit the bullet and went down to one full time and one part time to be home with kids. Cost was us having a small house, cooking at home, used vehicles.

On a camp note, I recommend Thurber camp for a nice one downtown that is safe and fun.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Thought this might fit in with the discussion:
    via press release:
    Columbus State’s Child Development Center to close

Columbus State Community College’s Child Development Center will close permanently on June 15, 2013. The center provides daycare and early education for about 80 children, age 6 weeks to 5 years.

Columbus State will reallocate the center’s finances and space to advancing the college’s core educational mission.

“We are very proud of the Child Development Center’s quality work with children of students, employees and the community. Nevertheless, our limited financial and space resources compel us to focus our assets on helping students achieve their academic goals and addressing Central Ohio’s workforce needs,” said Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Terri Gehr. “We will invite child care centers in our Columbus Campus neighborhood to welcome the parents and children we have served into their care.”

Columbus State established the Child Development Center in 1995. It is licensed by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Columbus State’s Early Childhood Development academic program, which trains students to work in the early education field, remains a priority. “We will be working with our faculty to be certain they can serve greater numbers of Columbus State students and to ensure that the students are prepared to meet the region’s workforce needs in child care facilities across Central Ohio,” said Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. Jack Cooley. “We look forward to expanding our partnerships for practicums and other student experiences with child care centers in our region.”

Future use of the space currently occupied by the Child Development Center will be determined in the college’s master planning, which is in process.

###

Columbus State Community College – Child Development Center – Background

Reason for Closing

The Child Development Center will close on June 15, 2013. The rapidly changing financial landscape in higher education compels the college to focus its financial and space resources on its core mission of helping students achieve their academic goals and addressing the region’s workforce needs. The college currently serves over 25,000 students.

The financial and space resources currently devoted to the Child Development Center will be reallocated to advance the college’s core educational mission.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

@AmyD, we need a working moms collective, one day a week each mom hosts everyone’s kids and then you would have four days of the week to work in total peace. :)

StormKing
    Participant

From http://www.marketwatch.com
    The numbers on child care’s skyrocketing costs
    Child-care spending up 70% since 1985

Parents across the U.S. know all about the tough finances of family life. Families with working mothers and young children have seen child-care payments, adjusted for inflation, rise 70% over a quarter of a century, according to a recent government report. Families with employed mothers and kids under 15 that paid for child care spent an average of $143 per week in 2011, up from $84 per week in 1985, according to the Census report. Those weekly sums are in constant 2011 dollars.

Despite the gain in families’ payments, child-care workers aren’t raking in the dough. The real median wage for a full-time child-care worker in 2011 was $19,098, slightly down from $19,680 in 1990.

— Ruth Mantell

ricospaz
    Participant

We pay $600 a week for a 12 month old. our ‘Sitter’ is great, just down the street from our house. That’s for 5 full days too. If we have another I think we might change careers to spend more time around em.

Jman4ever
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    We pay $600 a week for a 12 month old. our ‘Sitter’ is great, just down the street from our house. That’s for 5 full days too. If we have another I think we might change careers to spend more time around em.

600 a week? Holy crap. That’s 30k per year.

tell me that’s your monthly.

ricospaz
    Participant

Jman4ever said:
    600 a week? Holy crap. That’s 30k per year.

tell me that’s your monthly.

haha glad you caught that. yes $600 a month!

TaraK
    Participant

ricospaz (and others who use private sitters), how did you find him/her?

Jman4ever
    Participant

TaraK said:
    ricospaz (and others who use private sitters), how did you find him/her?

I use a neighbor.
    Who oddly enough sat a friends daughters about 20 years prior.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO