Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Author

Patch
    Participant

TaraK said:
    THREAD REVIVAL!!!

I’d like to hear from folks who are entering this arena now. I’m curious about costs for folks who use part-time child care. How often do you use it? How much?

And for those using traditional daycare, have the prices gone up/down in the last two years in Columbus?

We pay approx. $1,000/month for full time daycare, I think that is pretty much the going rate for kids over the age of 1.

St. Mary’s takes kids over the age of 3…

mrpoppinzs

Jeez, how do people afford kids these days? It looks like we not only need affordable health care, but affordable childcare to boot.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

We pay about $525 per month for 2 kids and 2 1/2 days. That is with an in home provider that we started with when our first was born.

TaraK
    Participant

murfmurphy said:
    We pay about $525 per month for 2 kids and 2 1/2 days. That is with an in home provider that we started with when our first was born.

How did you find the provider?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

We found her on Craigslist. I’ll be honest and say she was a miracle find at the time that we were searching. Hopefully everyone can find someone who works for them as well as she does for us.

JackieC
    Participant

$1270 a month for a 22 month old :(

We are incredibly happy with where we are at and had been enrolled into two different daycares before, and toured many more (cheaper places) but we could tell why the others were cheaper.

If you cannot find someone who does it out of their home that you trust I think 1000-1300 for full-time care is about average for a good place.

zp945
    Participant

Where are you at, that you like so much?

JackieC
    Participant

Bright Horizons downtown

Toured everyplace. Went high-end for the first two kids at a downtown Bright Horizons (I hope not the same one as JackieC). Once they got us, they raised the price 5% every year*, and charged weird extra fees ($50-100 per kid) for random re-enrollments throughout the year.

On kiddo #3, we finally found City Kids on Marconi. Very loving. Never does the gouging thing with money. Not cheap ($62.50 per day for part time) -but it’s better than our experiences elsewhere.

*So, by the time you have a four year old, the prices have increased 20%. Impressive.

JackieC
    Participant

I’m guessing it’s the same one, we just had our first experience with the enrollment fee I am not very happy about it.

We checked out City Kids but did not get a good vibe after talking to them. A lot of time spend in bouncers it seemed for the infant room. We wouldn’t have minded but we said our daughter hates the bouncer and we would rather them be engaged with her more often than not, they said “She’ll get used to it.” So we decided nay.

Other cheaper places tended to be dirty, disorganized or relied on rolling a tv in front of the kids everyday for an hour or so. We have nothing against tv, just wanted her to only watch tv at home.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

$830/month for a 4 year old, 3 days per week at a relatively “high end” commercial day care / preschool.

$450/month for an infant, 3 days per week at an in home child care provider.

howatzer
    Participant

TaraK said:
    Luckily, I don’t plan to have no babies anywho.

Plan B?

Patch
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Plan B?

The pill?

Wow.

That’s a bit over the line.

AmyD
    Participant

I think this might be off-topic, but of everyone who works at home, what do you do with your kids during the summer? We struggle with this every year. The ones needing care are now 8 and 10. We usually get a sitter for a couple days a week, but they (the sitters) end up lazy by the end of the summer. I sometimes think I should force them to fend for themselves during the day, but then they’d be inside all day. They can get their own meals and stuff. Just wanted to get your opinion on that.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Patch said:
    The pill?

Wow.

That’s a bit over the line.

Think he was asking if she changed her mind about having kids.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO