Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 147 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

@osulew
    – That’s a lot of interest! He loan payments are 20% of her take home pay on a 30-year plan. Grrr. She works for a federally qualified health center, and some professionals she works with get their loans paid back a certain $$/year, but she’s not eligible for some reason. But I’m proud of her for saving the world, and if it means we have to cut elsewhere to have kids, that’s what we’ll do.
    Where’s that student loan reform package at? Obama – we need some help!

Well you don’t HAVE to pay the interest…don’t hafta pay nuthin while they’re deferred if you don’t want. I consolidated mine at like 2.4% so my interest is nearly nuthin.

Obamacare changed that.
    No hardship deferment
    6.5% interest
    They have 25 year plans now

Where is all that piles of doctor money I kept hearing about?

joev
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

@osulew
    – That’s a lot of interest! He loan payments are 20% of her take home pay on a 30-year plan. Grrr. She works for a federally qualified health center , and some professionals she works with get their loans paid back a certain $$/year, but she’s not eligible for some reason. But I’m proud of her for saving the world, and if it means we have to cut elsewhere to have kids, that’s what we’ll do.
    Where’s that student loan reform package at? Obama – we need some help!

Well you don’t HAVE to pay the interest…don’t hafta pay nuthin while they’re deferred if you don’t want. I consolidated mine at like 2.4% so my interest is nearly nuthin.

Obamacare changed that.
    No hardship deferment
    6.5% interest
    They have 25 year plans now
    Where is all that piles of doctor money I kept hearing about?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Deferrment and forbearance are two different things. I’m on my direct loan servicing website, and I see an option for deferrment request and for forbearance request still active and useable…
    And the repayment plans I’m seeing here are anywhere from 10-30 yrs…

lifeliberty
    Participant

I think you can pay interest only, but that gets you nowhere. It’s definitely a good thing to pay down debt before having children, because children will only add to it. You are always going to have debt. Right now I have a Mortgage(next 25 yrs) and student loans(i think paid off by the time I’m 40) don’t let debt stop you from having kids, I’d be an old man if I waited that long. you can always downsize and move to a worse neighborhood, you might cut your rent in half thus providing you with childcare money and enough left over to glassblock the basement windows, instal steel doors and iron grates over the windows! You could be living the dream!

rus
    rus
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

rus wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    (joke question)what the best part about having a baby?

Free protein?

Paging rus to the “Jonathan Swift Childcare Roundtable Discussion and Luncheon”

What, I’m the only one who read ‘Hannibal’ for the recipes? =)

TaraK
    Participant

Not to derail, but here’s a question:

To parents (potential and current), what can your non-parenting friends to help you out financially? Babysitting?

Kerry

My daughter goes to Indianola Children’s center, I love it. They are equipped to accept toddlers (18 months – 36 months) & Pre-schoolers (3-5yrs). The toddler rate is $44/day with slight discounts if you are full time and pre-school is $42/day they provide snacks and drinks, you must send a lunch if your child is there for lunch time. You can also work co-op hours (volunteering for a variety of tasks from cleaning to website design) to discount your tuition.

I also checked into City Kids in the Arena District this time last year, $62/day for infant/baby care I believe was their rate.

She went to a home day care until she was 18 months, I paid $40/day for about 9 hours of care. My sitter provided all snacks, meals, milk and juice.

I’ve also done childcare swap with another family, that worked out well for a while.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I think it would be hard to wait until you have everything, you could eventually put it off forever waiting for the right time. good luck!

Yeah, raising a child (or two) is one of those things that you can never fully plan for, and something that you can’t completely anticipate knowing what you’re going to need in advance. I guess it could be comparable to packing a suitcase for a trip where you don’t know exactly where you’re going or how long you’ll be gone. ;) Just have to do the best you can to prepare and sometimes wing it the rest of the way.

When we got pregnant the first time I was in the process of jumping ship on my old day job to go into full-time entrepreneurial mode and we ended up ready to buy a house shortly after having Desi. To boot, neither Anne or I have parents who live anywhere near us (but a lot of good friends) so we didn’t have anyone to easily fall back on either. We probably could have had a more logical course of action, but we figured that we’d work everything out in the end. So far so good. ;)

Obviously, everyone’s path is different, and there are a lot of important choices to make. I really wish there were an easier or cheaper answer to the big childcare question that looms over the decision for so many people, but I don’t think there is one.

dirtgirl
    Participant

We pay an obscene amount to have a nanny come to our house ($12/hour) but it allows me to work and get to the gym and doctor appointments without dragging twin toddlers with me. We are in a position to afford it, but I have no idea how a single parent or person just starting out in a career could handle it, even at a daycare center. Rates at the center in my office building run $1900 a month for two infants so that’s probably a non-starter for anyone making < $70K.

I think a lot of people wind up at unlicensed in-home care where who knows what your kids are eating or if they exercise or are left in front of a TV all day long (I worry about this myself with a nanny).

I won’t make a political statement except to say it’s a shame.

berdawn

dirtgirl wrote >>
    We pay an obscene amount to have a nanny come to our house ($12/hour) but it allows me to work and get to the gym and doctor appointments without dragging twin toddlers with me. We are in a position to afford it, but I have no idea how a single parent or person just starting out in a career could handle it, even at a daycare center. Rates at the center in my office building run $1900 a month for two infants so that’s probably a non-starter for anyone making < $70K.
    I think a lot of people wind up at unlicensed in-home care where who knows what your kids are eating or if they exercise or are left in front of a TV all day long (I worry about this myself with a nanny).
    I won’t make a political statement except to say it’s a shame.

$12/hour an hour is obscene? fuck me, how much do you pay your plumber or your pilates instructor…I mean, it’s not like there is anything more valuable than your CHILDREN.

Walker wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I think it would be hard to wait until you have everything, you could eventually put it off forever waiting for the right time. good luck!

Yeah, raising a child (or two) is one of those things that you can never fully plan for, and something that you can’t completely anticipate knowing what you’re going to need in advance. I guess it could be comparable to packing a suitcase for a trip where you don’t know exactly where you’re going or how long you’ll be gone. ;) Just have to do the best you can to prepare and sometimes wing it the rest of the way.

Agreed, I was thinking of quite a few points on this topic. But, to sum it all up, my family, the one with me as the daddy,is by far the best part of my life. Friends, career, hobbies, pets, homes, bourbon; have absolutely no value when compared. I know so effing corny.

Looking back I would have started sooner.
    Reproduction is awesome.

DonnaTate

TaraK wrote >>
    Not to derail, but here’s a question:
    To parents (potential and current), what can your non-parenting friends to help you out financially? Babysitting?

Friends who volunteer to babysit is always nice, but as a new mother, here’s what makes that difficult for me. 1) When your friends are babysitting, they can’t join you for dinner or a movie :(
    2) My son is going through stranger anxiety, and that doesn’t just apply to strangers. It pretty much applies to anyone who isn’t mommy or daddy. The last time we had friends watch him, he woke up and screamed for an hour before finally falling back asleep. It’s one thing to listen to your own child cry, but to subject someone else to hysterics (especially a friend) is a tough thing to do. The guilt I feel for that probably won’t go away any time soon.

One thing I’ve found to be helpful is when friends let me know about yard sales or consignment shops that have things I might need. Most of the things I’ve purchased for my son have been secondhand, and it’s saved a great deal of money.

DonnaTate

When we were young, my father decided to work 3rd shift so someone would always be home with us. It was difficult on my parents, but it also saved them a lot of money in childcare.

I’m lucky enough to be able to care for my son myself, but if I couldn’t, I don’t think childcare is something I would skimp on. If I have to rely on other people to care for the most important person in my life, I want to make sure he’s getting the best care possible. That said, my solution would be to reallocate my monthly budget to accommodate the expense.

As parents you could consider breastfeeding and using cloth diapers to help keep your other baby related expenses low. It won’t completely offset the cost of childcare, but it can save roughly $200 a month and every little bit helps! They make all-in-one, one-size cloth diapers that are a great value. You could spend as little as $360 to diaper your child through potty training.
    Once the baby starts eating solids, making their food instead of buying food by the jar will also save money (not to mention it being better for them). Like I said in my previous post, buying used is a great idea.
    For non-baby related expenses, there’s a lot you can do to cut back. I know everyone loves their iPhones, but for a third of the monthly cost you can get a cell plan that gives you unlimited talk and text. You can cut back on your entertainment expenses – get a Netflix account instead of going to the movies. Cook dinner together instead of going to restaurants, and if you’re going to restaurants you can use websites like restaurants.com, fudha, and groupon to save a ton of money. Turn the thermostat up a few degrees in the summer and down a few degrees in the winter. It saves a significant amount of money. Cancel your cable package. You can watch pretty much anything you want online with sites like hulu, and it’s free. I could go on, but this is starting to turn into a novel, and I think the idea is pretty clear….pull from other monthly expenses that aren’t as important as childcare :)

dsigner
    Participant

Too much… About $250/wk. Although I do find it cheap compared to doggie day care being $125/wk or so from what I understand. The ratio is better. They feed my kid. And every so often she comes home with art projects. My dog never came home with an art project from doggie day care.

TaraK
    Participant

THREAD REVIVAL!!!

I’d like to hear from folks who are entering this arena now. I’m curious about costs for folks who use part-time child care. How often do you use it? How much?

And for those using traditional daycare, have the prices gone up/down in the last two years in Columbus?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.