Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Oh. Em. Gee. How on EARTH do people afford this?
    Pets are looking better all the time.

I know I kind of want to trade my kid in for a puppy. No I am only playing I love my little boy.

But I save all year as much as possible for summer. Get a second job if needed. I wish I had friends or family I could leave my son with man that would be awesome.

I used to babysit/nanny for a long time. It was usually about 10$ an hour.
    If you can have it at your home, you could always require light assistance (laundry, cleaning, preparing meals.)
    I don’t think 350$ a week is unreasonable. A babysitter is taking on the responsibilities of your child’s wellbeing.

I used to babysit/nanny for a long time. It was usually about 10$ an hour.
    If you can have it at your home, you could always require light assistance (laundry, cleaning, preparing meals.)
    I don’t think 350$ a week is unreasonable. A babysitter is taking on the responsibilities of your child’s wellbeing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TaraK wrote >>

Whenever you hear someone say that “having kids is expensive” what they actually mean is “daycare is expensive”.

If you can somehow get around shelling out for daycare, having kids really isn’t all that pricey. (For the first few years anyway). ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve heard that college is even more expensive than daycare, but I find that hard to believe…

jennyw
    Participant

Yep, I used to have a coworker with three young kids. After the third one was born, he realized he needed to make just $100 a month to do better financially than he and his wife would by sending them all to childcare, so he became a stay at home dad.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i don’t know how people afford day care, either. wow.

when I was in late high school/early college i used to do a ton of babysitting; i got paid $8-$12 an hour, but i would also do light housework – fold laundry, vacuum, dishes, etc. sometimes I would also take the kids out of the house and go to the movies or COSI or the zoo so that the parents could just chill in the house alone.

It almost makes more sense to pay an individual to come stay with the kids for $350/week!

With the state of the workforce these days, I would think you could find a recent college graduate to help you out for a year at $300-$350/week, and still request that they do light housework. Especially if you offered added benefits, such as gym membership, meals, use of car, etc.

TaraK
    Participant

Yeah, I’m realizing what perks my parents had. When we were growing up, we lived next door to our grandparents and on a road lined with about 20 relatives. Unlimited free childcare, 24/7. They never saw us; we just ran up and down the road.

Luckily, I don’t plan to have no babies anywho.

Nonetheless, I feel for those who want/have them. Man. What a difficult thing to haveo sacrifice THAT MUCH for childcare.

racheltb
    Participant

I have friends who have their kids at Indianola Children’s Center and North Broadway. Both get rave reviews. Also, if either of you has an OSU connection the OSU childcare center is supposed to be fantastic. OSU and NB both have long (like multi year) waiting lists, so you might want to consider putting your name in soon. Crazy, I know, to not have even conceived and put your name on a daycare waiting list!

One of my friend’s in home nanny is starting a daycare. I think her rate will be similar to what my friend is paying now, $1000/mo. for two kids. The nanny is amazing and I know her in-home daycare will be the same.

I have another friend who runs a daycare in her home currently. It’s a very family friendly place. Last time I sent my daughter there part time it was $8/hr I think.

Message me if you want names and phone numbers.

Staying home makes me crazy but the thought of spending so much money for a sitter makes me even crazier.

Tenzo
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

Pets still borrow the keys to the car.

But at least they dont text while driving.
    No thumbs!!!

TaraK
    Participant

Tenzo, your dog looks like the Marlon Brando in The Godfather in your avatar. Dunno why. Maybe flower garden = tomato garden?

Tenzo
    Participant

That’s because he has flowers in his mouth rather than marbles.
    We didn’t know it but when we would walk away he would eat the flower petals.

Lakee911
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

No thumbs!!!

Who is that behind the dog? ;)

Here is my ‘kid’:

He’s only 13mos old, but I don’t think twice about leaving him alone all day…sometimes overnight too. Who needs child care? ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lakee911 wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

No thumbs!!!

Who is that behind the dog? ;)
    Here is my ‘kid’:

He’s only 13mos old, but I don’t think twice about leaving him alone all day…sometimes overnight too. Who needs child care? ;)

Our oldest cat is about 16-he hasn’t asked for the car keys yet, but he was diagnosed with diabetes over a year ago. Insulin every 12 hours. If we travel, somebody else (friend, neighbor or professional pet-sitter) has to shoot him up. Kids aren’t the lowest maintenance creatures, but pets can require more than you bargain for, too…

rus
    rus
    Participant

0Angle wrote >>
    Our oldest cat is about 16-he hasn’t asked for the car keys yet, but he was diagnosed with diabetes over a year ago. Insulin every 12 hours. If we travel, somebody else (friend, neighbor or professional pet-sitter) has to shoot him up. Kids aren’t the lowest maintenance creatures, but pets can require more than you bargain for, too…

Had more than a few vet bills for my little ones. They’re on their own prescription diets ( with the occasional break for beef brisket like last night ).

You’re right; the little ones can be pricey.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: