Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

not sure. i thought it was on east broad, but i am having trouble remembering.

you might see if you could get on the waiting list for cscc:
    http://www.cscc.edu/CDC/index.shtml

jennyw
    Participant

I’m not a parent myself, but my mom works for Action for Children, a nonprofit that focuses some of its work on helping connect parents with childcare. You can find all sorts of info on providers, what to look for when choosing a provider, financial assistance, etc. here.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

The Mother’s Helper on Spring and Hamilton is $213 a week. $852 a month. That’s for a new baby.

jillg
    Participant

Our kid currently goes to the YMCA Hilltop Educare Center on W. Broad, just west of Franklinton/I70. We have been really happy with it, and as a state employee I get a slight discount. Now that she’s a toddler, we pay $200 per week. As an infant, I think it was $225 a week. They have an excellent rating from ODJFS. However, with another kid on the way, we’re about to become SITCOMs (Single Income Two Children Oppressive Mortgage–just learned this term recently) because we’ve decided that both of us working away from home while paying for two kids in daycare is just too much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, we checked into daycare. There, I discovered the paradox of it being too expensive, but the staff was so underpaid that we weren’t going to let them watch OUR kid. I found that if I worked only part-time, mainly Friday and Saturday, we could find a relative or friend to babysit one day a week (about $50) Once my youngest starts kindergarten (2&1/2 years, but who’s keeping track) I won’t have an excuse to be on a message board @ 3:00 in the afternoon…

TaraK
    Participant

Oh. Em. Gee. How on EARTH do people afford this?

Pets are looking better all the time.

rus
    rus
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

<===== wags knowingly.

Twixlen
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

Dude. I know! A coworker figured out they actually LOSE money during the summer when all three of their kids are in daycare, with both of them working – cost of daycare vs one salary; not all the other costs associated with getting to work and being at work. He *just* finished school and she has the kind of career that you can’t drop out of and easily hop back in – so they make it work, knowing it’s “temporary”.

I don’t know how folks do it.

Lakee911
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

My kitty is my kiddie. :)

Mercurius
    Participant

rus
    rus
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

And a fine looking couch scratcher you’ve got there!

berdawn

Lakee911 wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

I love my fur-babies! (they still need more dental care than I ever imagined but no college fund)

Nate

I’m in the same boat on this. We looked into daycare options for when my wife goes back to work. The cheapest facility we found that passed our criteria was a little over $800 a month. The most expensive one we visited was $1000 a month not including food, diapers, etc.

We have some hard decisions in the near future since we both work full-time. At this point it would actually be better for us, financially, to have one of us work a different shift or work part time (even for minimum wage) and save the $800+ a month. Having family/friends in the area can really be helpful and save you a ton of money if you can cut the daycare down to at least part time.

Tenzo
    Participant

We pay $11 for a half hour walk

Twixlen
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    We pay $11 for a half hour walk

Confession: I pay $20 one day a week for Doggie Daycare.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER