Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What do you pay for child care?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What do you pay for child care?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking. My wife and I are thinking about having kids soon, but before we do, we’d like to figure out exactly what we would be on the hook for in terms of child care. We both work, and neither of us has an option to telecommute, quit, or go to a part time schedule. We don’t have family around to watch kids, so it would have to be day care. We’re thinking we’re not really interested so much in in-home day care.

Also, are there any good centers near downtown?

All you lucky folks who have flexible schedules, work from home or have family nearby, please spare me the comment. I’m happy for you, I really am, and wish we were in your boat, but I couldn’t stand to read through a thread full of people who don’t pay for childcare.

My brother pays $350/week and claims it a bargain. Sounds expensive to me.

joev
    Participant

Bristol Bar wrote >>
    My brother pays $350/week and claims it a bargain. Sounds expensive to me.

I’m not sure how a non-bank-executive is supposed to afford that.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

$350/week, $70/day or $10/hr sounds about right actually.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’ve heard it is around 70 a day. but that is only until kids get into school. so it won’t be forever, and the wife will take a few month maternity off, if not a year. Daycare is expensive. cheaper route was that my brother found one of his neighbors that watches other kids in the neighborhood.

they have childcare in the RIFFE building.

page 4 of this http://oba.ohio.gov/pdfs/riffetenanthandbook.pdf

My 2-year old goes to the daycare that’s in the STRS building downtown, on E Broad. When he was an infant the rate was about $250 a week. Now that he’s a toddler I pay $235, and the preschool rate is $210. There are several other child care centers in the area but I only looked at and picked this one. I love it!

oops

misskitty
    Participant

While my son is in school we do latch key for before and after school care it runs 70 bucks a week.
    But during the summer when there is no school it’s about 250-300 a week that is a deal. I have seen it cost way more then that in the Columbus Area.
    Daycare is not cheap quite honestly the cost kills me
    Now I am thinking about summer that is about three weeks away :sad face:

chaptal
    Participant

Summer day camp is going to be running us about $175 a week.

We pay $5/hr with a neighbor

Drop off at 7 pick up at 6, $55

Lakee911
    Participant

Gorsh..sounds pricey! Now I know why my neighbors moved to Delaware (from Clintonville) for free child-care.

joev
    Participant

Addendum to the question: What do you do to afford child care?

misskitty
    Participant

And for people that don’t know the Franklin County ODJFS runs a program called “Title XX” it offers assistance in paying for child care through providers that accept it and are certified to do so.
    However ,they go off of gross pay and don’t take into account bills to live cost like you think they would the anyway max income for a family of two is 1822 per month gross pay. For a family of three it’s 2289
    Yea they cater to people with lots of kids and no work.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I priced one downtown about a year ago, for two days a week, 1yr old was $550 a month.

joev
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    I priced one downtown about a year ago, for two days a week, 1yr old was $550 a month.

Which one was that? That sounds like a winner on price!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO