Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What are these poles being installed downtown?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion What are these poles being installed downtown?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Randy Bowman:

Staff believes this is a wifi transmitter being installed by a private company to provide subscription wireless broadband.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker said:
    Via Randy Bowman:

Staff believes this is a wifi transmitter being installed by a private company to provide subscription wireless broadband.

well that’s easy enough to verify. anyone down in the area with a wifi signal analyzer?

Patch
    Participant

Maybe they are a wireless companies antennas? I know they were being discussed in Cincy a few years back where there were multiple small poles about the height of street lights.

Any idea how many there are? Distance apart?

NerosNeptune said:
    Tin Foil cancellation thought amplifiers

I love this.

sph1978
    Participant

I work near High and State so I just walked over there. Didn’t see markings of any type on it, pulled out my phone to see if I could get a wi-fi signal from it and two different Time Warner cable signals came up….coulda just been from the surrounding buildings though.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Time Warner provides free WiFi for the Scioto Mile just half a block over.

This doesn’t look anything like the WiFi routers in Dublin
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.081625,-83.122166&spn=0.00504,0.009398&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.081625,-83.122166&panoid=WTPrjd7VHFpUndGc0O7rLg&cbp=12,167.28,,1,-13.02

sph1978
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    Time Warner provides free WiFi for the Scioto Mile just half a block over.

This doesn’t look anything like the WiFi routers in Dublin

the top of the pole looks similar to this though: http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/06/portlands_wifi_network_coming.html so the transmitter idea sounds correct.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hey now you can walk along the sidewalk, face in the phone and texting to someone about how you have great tower signal, and walk right into the tower itself.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Or into oncoming traffic….

(cue the 7 page bitch fest)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Or into oncoming traffic….

(cue the 7 page bitch fest)

(predominately perpetuated by you)

Pro Se
    Participant

Randy’s explanation makes sense. There is one on High Street adjacent to the Greek Orthodox Church as well. A worker explained a couple of weeks ago that the High Street road work leading to the new pole at that location was for new fiber optics, which explains the broadband use…

bman
    Participant

They are a form of wireless network repeaters to increase cell strength along High St. In lieu of using towers. A very large cellular company is doing this project. True!

No T

Great! More crap in the way on the sidewalk. Columbus is horrible for signage, posts, boxes, bus shelters, and miscellania obstructions on the sidewalk.

jOHnH
    Participant

Also one on the corner of Nationwide and Front

bman
    Participant

No T said:
    Great! More crap in the way on the sidewalk. Columbus is horrible for signage, posts, boxes, bus shelters, and miscellania obstructions on the sidewalk.

So no to towers in the urban areas and now no to building or pole mounted repeaters, I guess that means good strong 4G service isn’t wanted in the urban areas?

Graybeak
    Participant

bman said:
    So no to towers in the urban areas and now no to building or pole mounted repeaters, I guess that means good strong 4G service isn’t wanted in the urban areas?

No, people will walk from their home, to their job to the park to a bar then back home, they can use dial up there.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: