Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What are the best ways to protect community gardens from vandalism and theft ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion What are the best ways to protect community gardens from vandalism and theft ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

I lose 25% of my stuff to deer, bunnies and humans. It gets a little worse every year. Grandview put up signs eventually as we would see people drive up, load bags with the crops others grew and then leave. I think ours might be different than the OP’s as we rent our plots from the city as opposed to anyone being able to work it.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Great article in the NY Times this last week on the very subject, they had good suggestions about signs and sharing/getting over it. Turns out in the City most garden thieves are little old ethnic types. I have lots of immigrants work over my plot, but most if not all have asked permission.

groundrules
    Participant

maybe you need to dig up your gun library idea again. garden militia.

How about an electric cattle fence. That would defiantly get their attention.

johnwirtz
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast said:
    In the Muslim/Islamic world – they would cut your hand off for stealing a pepper, in China they would shoot you on sight (no trial, no questions, end of story) maybe that is the fear we need to instill in these thieves! Current system is not working and it starts at home with the parents, etc!

I was going to suggest snipers

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

In the Muslim/Islamic world – they would cut your hand off for stealing a pepper, in China they would shoot you on sight (no trial, no questions, end of story) maybe that is the fear we need to instill in these thieves!

Yes, we really need to learn from China and Sharia Law, clearly they’ve got their act together.

The bottom line is that if there were severe repurcussions people would think twice about stealing – not married to a solution other than punishing people, who have no respect for property or other people’s hard work.

And for all you texters read about what they do in 90% of the world to people, who steal or damage other people’s property – it ain’t pretty. We need to get back to basics – if you steal IT HURTS – and it’s not NO BIG DEAL. You get tired of people messing with your shit and the lack of respect it represents! And yes in most of the Middle East including Sunni Saudi Arabia they catch you stealing a loaf of bread or stealing a green pepper off a cart at the market they will cut your hand off – not a lot of theft or vandlism there either…imho

“Yes, we really need to learn from China and Sharia Law, clearly they’ve got their act together.” Yes, and we are loosing ours!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

You are a crazy person.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

I had this idea to put taggers and copper theives in a cage and do scioto river dunks… Klue can you get the ball rolling on that? Thanks!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hey if part of the problem is “ethnic” people taking without participating, maybe consider multi-lingual signage saying something like You Could Participate In This Garden.

Twixlen
    Participant

Stake out some hungry bears. It’ll make crop gathering/working a little tricky for the owners, but worth it to keep out the thieves.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

make sure to starve the bears first. oh yeah and put rat poison on the vegetables..

SusanB
    Participant

Landmines and/or punji sticks.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Build a guard tower. Insert juices from ruined vegies into water balloons. Maybe some urine. Fill rest of water balloons with water. Form a garden watch.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: