Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What and why do you buy local?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What and why do you buy local?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I don’t generally buy local except for when pearl ally is up and running. I only knew about it because I work downtown. And I only shopped there because it was convenient.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I try to buy everything I can locally. When I can’t, I don’t sweat it, but just make a mental note. If there’s something I buy frequently that I can’t find locally, I’ll either try to get someone to make it, make it myself, or stop buying it, unless it’s something impossible like vanilla or bananas or whatnot.

I hear what Roland is saying about the change in shopping habits. It used to be, I’d go get a bunch of crap, and at the end of the week throw a lot of it away. Now I carefully buy the best of what’s in season, at a seasonal/bulk price, and plan my meals around the perishables. Keep my condiments and dry goods stocked up, and at the end of the week, I’ve eaten well, and… the fridge is EMPTY. Like tumbleweed empty. Less waste!

Haha, Bear, “fondling thumbscrews contemplatively”.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I find that I’m making that same change in shopping habits. I’m buying a ton of fresh produce, but no more than I can eat in a week before it goes bad. I’m keeping stuff like beans, rice, grains, and pasta in stock and have a growing arsenal of seasonings and condiments to whip up nearly anything. Other than tofu, I’m trying to get into the mindset that if it’s ok in my fridge for a month and still looks like it did when I brought it home, I might not should be puttin it in mah face. My pantry looks as if I might be planning for a world black bean shortage…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    I find that I’m making that same change in shopping habits. I’m buying a ton of fresh produce, but no more than I can eat in a week before it goes bad. I’m keeping stuff like beans, rice, grains, and pasta in stock and have a growing arsenal of seasonings and condiments to whip up nearly anything. Other than tofu, I’m trying to get into the mindset that if it’s ok in my fridge for a month and still looks like it did when I brought it home, I might not should be puttin it in mah face. My pantry looks as if I might be planning for a world black bean shortage…

Yep.

Even worse since I realized that when I am cooking the heck out of some black beans, the cooking water will dye things a beautiful periwinkle blue.

“Hey mom, I dyed your Christmas card in these burritos, now let’s eat them.”

I also tend to not buy as much meat unless it’s cured or frozen, just so I don’t have that Sherman dilemma. You know, having my out-of-house activities curtailed by the sell-by date on the meat in my fridge :)

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Grrrrrrrrrl…I gotta go home and cook this gahhhhdamn meat. Kroger had ribs buy one get one and I got 15 pounds thawin up in mah sink! ;)

derm
    derm
    Participant

jenlauren wrote >>
    Mostly food, including a split half of beef every year. I would love some suggestions on farmers for pork, lamb and poultry. My chest freezer is sadly empty right now.
    For me, I find that overall it is less expensive and tastes batter. I buy in bulk from the farmers market, add that to what I grow on my own and I end up doing a lot of freezing and canning.
    I always prefer to support local business owners when I can, even when that means that what I am buying isn’t locally made. At least some of the profit stays in the community. And to me that is what buying local is about. Keeping as much money on your local ecomony which in turn spurs growth.

Here is the best resource to find whatever you want, just type in the name under product search.

http://www.oeffa.org/search-geg.php

drew
    Participant

To the question of what, my answer is – whatever is better for being local. This is most evident in food products, though occasionally non-food related products spring to mind – certainly so when customization is a part of the purchase (cough Skreened cough).

To the question of why – well, because whatever is being purchased is better for being local. Envrionmental concerns are a consideration, though, to be honest, rarely a significant one. Relative to foodstuffs, it’s easy – the local options almost always taste better for not having been ‘engineered’ for transport.

Probably worth noting that the concept of ‘local’ should ideally include both the producer and the retailer. Undoubtedly the ‘purest’ version of the local approach is the purchase of local products directly from the producer, but the purchase of local products from non-local retailers as well as the purchase of non-local products from local retailers are, at minimum, valuable to keep in mind when thinking about keeping our dollars in the local economy.

groundrules
    Participant

Music. records, CDs, band merch, rock posters. I got a lotta t-shirts from right around here.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

My kitchen uses pottery crocks from Robinson Ransbottom in Roseville, technology from 200 years ago.

groundrules
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    My kitchen uses pottery crocks from Robinson Ransbottom in Roseville, technology from 200 years ago.

word. I’ve got a bunch of porcelain stuff for the kitchen from this artist:
    http://www.peachblowpottery.com/

rus
    rus
    Participant

libby wrote >>
    It’s not just buying meat and produce locally, I believe that it’s important to buy from our independent local stores who have invested their capital to make our communities thrive. Check out http://www.350project.net What 3 independently owned businesses would you miss if they disappeared?

First, I think the link is supposed to be:
    http://www.the350project.net

Second, given the Columbus list:

Columbus
    Buckeye Benefit Consulting LLC
    Columbus MarketPlace
    Fortner Upholstering
    Girls Wear Pearls
    Hedy Regal Designs
    Heritage Ohio
    Lisa Diemer Agency/American Family Ins.
    McSheffery Nutrition
    Rainbow Hot Tubs and Spas, Inc.
    Reinvent Retail
    Suzy Said

I don’t think I’d miss any of them; never heard of them.

groundrules
    Participant

Oh yeah, CBC Columbus Pale Ale.

I make the “it’s not local but…” disclaimer on these threads because this is *Colubmus* Underground and its mission is in some way tied to advocating for the city and therefore the business owners located here. And yes, I do think some posters are kind of militant and I preemptively defend my opinions sometimes :) More reasons I buy local when possible:

1. Keep money in the Central Ohio economy, creating jobs, etc.
    2. Contempt for lots of big corporate practices (environmental & social)
    3. It tastes better and often is of higher quality (wood crafted Amish toys vs. made-in-China plastic junk)
    4. The environmental impact is lower
    5. I can talk to the people who produced/grew whatever I’m buying/eating and ask questions that are important to me
    6. Transparent supply chain (safer for me, safer for workers involved in making product)

That being said, I often feel cornered into shopping at chain/large stores because local products can be expensive – particularly clothing and household items. But the more we all buy local, the cheaper it gets to do so.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Sugarplumclarey, I hear that. I just do my best. If someone doesn’t like it, they can buy whatever they want and get off my back :)

It’s for the joy of doing it, not because anyone’s said I’m “supposed to”.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

I support local food/art for ethical/quality/value issues as well as the importance of relationships and social connections. Its the same reason I “collect” my friends art as opposed to a famous or nationally recognized name. It has more intrinsic meaning, connection and is ultimately more rewarding on a number of levels. There also something about the character of those who identify with “buy local” that I respect and admire.

Consider the following: For those who buy and have purchased local art – We artists/crafters give back to the community that supports us. Through partnering with Friends of Goodale Park, we raised almost $3000 in 2008 through the sale of woodturnings made from trees within the park. Subscribing to “Buy local” BUILDS local. Honestly, its the people that support local art/craft/food that made that possible. Couchfire is another good example of a group that builds/enables art and local community: Liz Lessner, Haikuhelp, Wild Goose, the list is endless…

I love it…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: