Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

This topic contains 82 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author

WJT
    Participant

It’s disappointing they are showing a building directly west of COSI on axis with the COSI entry. I thought that was reserved for a outdoor paver plaza which could have been a really nice urban feature. I like that it is not a mess of ‘this and that’ and yet is not a blank canvas of grass as Columbus Commons.

The park is also underwhelming. Here’s a park right outside a science and technology center and it looks as if it belongs in a royal garden. I was expecting something a little more edgy…

I actually like the park-I don’t think you want to overdo it. Maybe some slight tweaks closer to the COSI building itself with a little more ‘edgy’ stuff.

But I completely agree that the area west of the entrance between Rush Alley and State Street should be a plaza to bring the openness of the park directly into high density development. And that could be the place for some amazing art pieces. (I realize that the other parts of the rendering may just be filler and not much thought was put into them), but I also do not like the blocking to the south either-that should be partially open at least to create sort of a park connection over to the river and the bridges and then to Bicentennial Park across the river.

With the open area in front of the new Vets, it would kind of create a circuit from one side of the Scioto to the other and kind of help tie in the Peninsula as part of downtown itself. So many people think it is East Franklinton and it is not-that does not start until the railroad bridges.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

My guess is any real, new museums won’t truly materialize until mid century.

I’ll take that bet.

As for this park: It, like a few other public spaces in town, could use a dramatic sculpture or statue.

The park at the corner of High and Nationwide; Columbus Commons; the riverfront; and now this–especially this, considering the art to come.

chuckd1410
    chuckd1410
    Participant

It’s outside COSI. Why not something amazing for kids like Maggie Daley in Chicago?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

It’s outside COSI. Why not something amazing for kids like Maggie Daley in Chicago?

This would be awesome. I agree the plans for the park look very boring. Plus with all the greenspace planned for the peninsula you have to give people something to do. You can only stare at so many open grassy fields.

heresthecasey
    Participant

This would be awesome. I agree the plans for the park look very boring. Plus with all the greenspace planned for the peninsula you have to give people something to do. You can only stare at so many open grassy fields.

+1

As much as I love the new Scioto Greenways, there really does need to be more happening down there than just empty grass lawns.

For example, the previous version of Battelle Park had in its heyday a cafe, a boat rental, the santa maria, picnic table seating, restrooms, a fountain, a children’s art/sculpture park, and various memorials. The current iteration is downright barren in comparison, and retains basically only the firefighters’ memorial…

I’d love to see something like an annual program set up that would add a new public art piece, or amenity to the riverfront/downtown parks every year – sculpture, playground, exercise equipment, etc. It would really liven up the space and provide more of a utility to visitors.

Additionally, getting vendors to set up down there during the summer would also go a long way – people selling food, drinks, ice cream, balloons, renting boats, etc, etc.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Could not agree more with the above.

Food/drink options, recreational options, art–those are hopefully pieces that the powers to be have considered incorporating.

(The deer art is good. The launching areas for kayaks/canoes are good. But need more.)

As it stands, Milestone, the neighboring fountains, and COSI are the only non-park draws to the riverfront, and COSI really doesn’t count since it does not engage the riverfront at all in its current form. Building a cafe/restaurant in glass on the river-facing side could be a nice complement.

The improvements in place are terrific. But the progress must continue.

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chuckd1410 wrote:</div>

Yeah, the park looks pretty boring.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Isn’t the plan to have development on some of this space? If so, maybe you don’t want to get too crazy in phase 1 on the green space.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

As much as I love the new Scioto Greenways, there really does need to be more happening down there than just empty grass lawns.

You realize that’s a riparian flood reserve zone, right? It’s designed to be completely inundated with water and mud every few years.

Mike88
    Participant

You realize that’s a riparian flood reserve zone, right? It’s designed to be completely inundated with water and mud every few years.

That is an important point to bear in mind, but I still think the idea of adding to the space overtime can still hold.

I am a huge fan of the Scioto Deer as well and feel that adding hidden gems like those along bike trails and parks would fun “Easter eggs” for the city. As well I have always felt that as the State capital we should be honoring great and famous Ohioans all over town and monuments and memorials made of stone and metal could generate itnerest and pry handle a bit of mud and water without too much trouble.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I am a huge fan of the Scioto Deer as well and feel that adding hidden gems like those along bike trails and parks would fun “Easter eggs” for the city.

I walk over the Rich St. bridge all the time on my lunch walks. Everyone is always taking cell phone pictures of themselves with that deer, presumably to post on social media. And there’s a great view of Columbus in the background. If you ask me that was an extremely clever marketing ploy by the Columbus tourism office.

OSURob
    Participant

I like what Cincinnati has done to their waterfront. A mix of fountains, cool looking workout equipment, and a climbing wall.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

I don’t get the disdain for green space. I have been intentionally working the greenbelt into my running route and still am amazed by the experience. I see no major reason why we need to clutter up open space with objects every 15-feet.

I’ve never felt the masses lounging around Goodale Park on the weekend need much else to prompt them to enjoy the park. The greenbelt has splash fountains at Northbank and Bicentennial. The Bicentennial Stage is available for music. The upper promenade still has the swings. There are the deer and a some other sculptures near the fire memorial on the west along with the new lighting on the COSI stairs. In short, it is a really nice park, but no Wally World. We once had a lot of stuff down there like the Santa Maria, and the park wasn’t nearly as activated as it is now.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I don’t think people have a disdain for green space, but you need some “city” to go along with those parks.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I don’t think people have a disdain for green space, but you need some “city” to go along with those parks.

Exactly.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.