Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

This topic contains 82 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

In all seriousness, with the significant contributions Ohio has made to Air and Space, I wonder if the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum may be a viable option. It could be a great opportunity to partner with the Air Force Museum as well. The current Air and Space Museum is looking at a $365+ Million overhaul to meet today’s standards so a replacement may be a viable option. If approved, they wouldn’t even start renovations until 2018 so the timelines for a branch here may be similar.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2015/06/a-popular-smithsonian-museum-is-falling-apart-weve.html

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

I do wonder if some of this conjecture is getting ahead of ourselves?

Are we talking a Smithsonian Institution – of which there are 19, primarily concentrated in DC.
    http://www.si.edu/Museums

Or are we talking a Smithsonian Affiliation, of which there are 200 (including the Ohio History Connection)?
    https://affiliations.si.edu/AffilDirectory.Asp?MenuID=11

Either could be exciting, but if we start thinking Institution like Air and Space and end up with Affiliation it might be setting up a lot of false expectations that could lower the overall impact.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

A worthy point, Dallas.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It seems odd that the Wexners would prematurely leak something without a reason for doing so, doesn’t it?

You’d be surprised how much stuff gets leaked unintentionally or with a caveat to keep it off the record — and a lot of media outlets don’t really adhere to those rules anymore.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Interesting. Thanks for the insight, Walker.

ohbr
    Participant

I think the fact that it was leaked has already set us up for disappointment. Whether it’s a full out Smithsonian or an affiliate, we’ll be sorry to hear when neither was the case. I do think though that something so guarded is more likely to be a full out Smithsonian rather than an affiliation. An affiliation would also be more likely to be negotiated by museum leaders than civic leaders I would think.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    It seems odd that the Wexners would prematurely leak something without a reason for doing so, doesn’t it?

You’d be surprised how much stuff gets leaked unintentionally or with a caveat to keep it off the record — and a lot of media outlets don’t really adhere to those rules anymore.

I’m pretty sure the billionaire Wexners knew exactly what they were doing when they said what they did to Dave Ghose of Columbus Monthly in an on-the-record interview. These aren’t exactly rookies when it comes to dealing with the media.

Not sure why you are insinuating that Columbus Monthly didn’t adhere to rules in keeping it off the record.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not sure why you are insinuating that Columbus Monthly didn’t adhere to rules in keeping it off the record.

I don’t know what happened with this specific instance.

I was speaking in generalities in response to MichaelC finding it to be odd. I’ve worked with many story sources who have provided specific and direct examples of local media outlets and local writers who publish stories ahead of embargos or using off the record or speculative information. It’s a very common occurrence.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I’ll get excited when whatever this is, is going to open. So in about 8-10 years.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Can’t find the proper thread for this, so here’s a new rendering of the park being built to the west of COSI:

h/t: Business First

AMEEKER
    Participant

Is this true or a lame April Fool’s?

Columbus DOES need a natural history museum. Have you ever been to Boonshoft in Dayton? It’s amazing, and the Ohio History Center/Connection doesn’t compare.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

You could probably put it in this thread: https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-2010-plan-idea-11-scioto-peninsula-development

That’s where it popped up before!

columbusmike
    Participant

It’s disappointing they are showing a building directly west of COSI on axis with the COSI entry. I thought that was reserved for a outdoor paver plaza which could have been a really nice urban feature.

The park is also underwhelming. Here’s a park right outside a science and technology center and it looks as if it belongs in a royal garden. I was expecting something a little more edgy…

JAL
    Participant

It’s disappointing they are showing a building directly west of COSI on axis with the COSI entry. I thought that was reserved for a outdoor paver plaza which could have been a really nice urban feature.

The park is also underwhelming. Here’s a park right outside a science and technology center and it looks as if it belongs in a royal garden. I was expecting something a little more edgy…

It does have a parking deck underneath it– and like Columbus Commons will most likely be limited to what can be put on top of the deck. Hopefully they eventually put a stage in this park and use it for events and concerts similar to Commons.

JMan
    Participant

My guess is any real, new museums won’t truly materialize until mid century.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: