Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

This topic contains 82 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Seems odd you would pick two natural history/history focused museums when you have a half-full COSI and the Ohio History Connection already here. Why not put money in existing institutions? My guess is we’ve just gotten a rare glimpse of a stick-in-eye negotiating tactic aimed at local institutions rather than an actual plan for a satellite museum.

COSI is shabby and not a very attractive science museum for anyone over 15. OHS, or whatever that brutalist monstrosity of 17th is actually called is a glorified freeway exit ramp roadside attraction, it needs a better building and a better location. Both COSI and OHC are more designed for large busloads of field-tripping primary school students than for real museum dorks.

I would love to see one or both of the proposed/dangled museums brought downtown.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Wexners: The Smithsonian and American Museum of Natural History may come to the Scioto Peninsula

http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/blogs/the-latest/2015/12/scioto-peninsula-wexners.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Wow! Talk about a game changer!

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Nice! Most of the Natural history museums are in large historic limestone structures…I wonder what type of design they will be going for?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The more I think about why the Smithsonian might be interested in CBus, the more I think the hook may be the Wexners committing their non-modern art collection to the museum.

Otherwise, I just can’t figure the calculus of the Smithsonian expanding outside of DC/NYC, let alone to a mid-sized city that would be behind at least a dozen other cities for this sort of growth.
    That would change, of course, the instant this project came to fruition…let alone pair of projects.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This seems like some kind of fantasy that won’t actually come to fruition for one reason or another. Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great if it actually happens but I have trouble believing it.

ohbr
    Participant

This seems like some kind of fantasy that won’t actually come to fruition for one reason or another. Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great if it actually happens but I have trouble believing it.

Yeah. I’m leaning towards Columbus getting “Stoned” again.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Analogue Kid wrote:</div>

Yeah. I’m leaning towards Columbus getting “Stoned” again.

No “Wonder” people in this town are so cynical.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

ayy lmao^

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

well done.

Robertsd937
    Participant

Wexners: The Smithsonian and American Museum of Natural History may come to the Scioto Peninsula

http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/blogs/the-latest/2015/12/scioto-peninsula-wexners.html

My wife tells me that OLD COSI was far better than the current one (I am a transplant from out of state). I have been to the current one and honestly, I am not impressed. It should be FREE for what it has, not cost as much as it does. Boonshoft out in Dayton literally blows COSI out of the water. If Wexner does anything it is to get more stuff into COSI and make it worth the price of admission.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Makes me wonder if this wasn’t supposed to get out just yet.

Yep. Sounds like they got a little tidbit about it and tucked it inside a larger story because there wasn’t enough to make it a story on its own.

No one we’ve reached out to has been interested in commenting on this project/concept on the record yet.

If I had to make a guess, the news was a premature leak and nothing is finalized at this point.

Eugene_C
    Participant

They’ll get a levy on the ballot for matching funds and then some anti-civilization 501.3(c) will circulate a bunch of nonsense postcards and TV commercials and kill the levy. Can’t let Ohio get too progressive and educated, that might make it unobtainable in 4-year elections and cost some non-progressive seats.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Thanks for that update, Walker.

It seems odd that the Wexners would prematurely leak something without a reason for doing so, doesn’t it?

JAL
    Participant

If this actually does happen, I wonder if the buildings are going to be tall enough to satisfy everyone. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: