Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

This topic contains 82 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author

DTown
    Participant

We do not need more venture capital dollars here. We have a lack of tech talent in the first place and a university with an absolutely horrendous CSE program (this comes from someone with a CSE degree from OSU). Until OSU takes its CSE program seriously the school and the city will never attract any real talent. Osu is investing millions in its Art but has done nothing for CSE since maybe the 1970s. I invite everyone to check out the facilities (Dreese) at OSU and compare them to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, or basically any other big 10 school. Then check the outside funding its CSE program recieves, basically nothing because it does not have any decent research oriented professors. It’s 2015 and we are investing in art facilities but not tech, its absolutely absurd. If you want tech here, you must start with the university, and ours doesn’t take engineering seriously at all.

OSU CSE is ranked #34 nationally in US News & Reports 2014 for top CS grad programs (tied with Northwestern, behind UM & WI, but well ahead of Indiana). Oh, and there’s more to technology than just CS. The College of Engineering is ranked 5th nationally in private industry funded research $. Seems pretty serious to me.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I think the Smithsonian is the most exciting part of this. Per wikipedia “Nineteen museums and galleries, as well as the National Zoological Park, comprise the Smithsonian museums.[26] Eleven are on the National Mall, the strip of land that runs between the Lincoln Memorial and the United States Capitol. Other museums are located elsewhere in Washington, D.C., with two more in New York City and one in Chantilly, Virginia.

The Smithsonian has close ties with 168 other museums in 39 states, Panama and Puerto Rico.[26] These museums are known as Smithsonian Affiliated museums. Collections of artifacts are given to these museums in the form of long-term loans.”

The Smithsonian is so broad it could really be anything. Although, if it were just an affiliated museum it doesn’t necessarily make us all that special,but it would give us access to the huge artifact collection that the Smithsonian maintains. I could see the veterans museum becoming a Smithsonian affiliate. That would allow it to fill that amazing building with an equally amazing collection. Plus it would give it a little more cachet.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Oh cool, a light rail thread.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Interesting rumors for sure… And FWIW, the Ohio Historical Society is already a Smithsonian affiliate museum.

IMO a new/expanded home for them with stronger tie-ins to both Smithsonian and NYC’s AMNH in a signature building along the riverfront would be a pretty awesome anchor for the Scioto Peninsula redevelopment.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

So, if this happens, how could COSI and GIAC fit in with it?

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>
    We do not need more venture capital dollars here. We have a lack of tech talent in the first place and a university with an absolutely horrendous CSE program (this comes from someone with a CSE degree from OSU). Until OSU takes its CSE program seriously the school and the city will never attract any real talent. Osu is investing millions in its Art but has done nothing for CSE since maybe the 1970s. I invite everyone to check out the facilities (Dreese) at OSU and compare them to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, or basically any other big 10 school. Then check the outside funding its CSE program recieves, basically nothing because it does not have any decent research oriented professors. It’s 2015 and we are investing in art facilities but not tech, its absolutely absurd. If you want tech here, you must start with the university, and ours doesn’t take engineering seriously at all.

OSU CSE is ranked #34 nationally in US News & Reports 2014 for top CS grad programs (tied with Northwestern, behind UM & WI, but well ahead of Indiana). Oh, and there’s more to technology than just CS. The College of Engineering is ranked 5th nationally in private industry funded research $. Seems pretty serious to me.

Lol at you thinking those us news rankings matter. Definitely a rebuttal of someone h a liberal arts degree. Only grad school placements and job placements matter and osu CSE lacks at both. I had the highest salary the year I graduated which was a very nice salary but compared to Michigan was zzz. (I btw was not a top grad and got my spot through my own networking and nothing to do with OSU, most CSE kids don’t network and rely on what positions the university can help them land). That is nothing next to any decent school where top grads can get 120k including base and bonus, not to mention stock options.
    Research grants all go to Mech E, lol great we produce a lot of research for Ford and GM. MechE in 2015 is a joke. Who cares about mechanics in 2015.
    I agree there are other engineering fields like electrical and computer engineering which OSU ignores as well. Meanwhile they have brand new psychology buildings, and big plans for art. What a joke, and if you think OSU is producing tech talent you are highly mistaken. I am not sure why we have a rivalry with Michigan anymore, they are light years ahead of OSU.

Please keep believing the bullshit about OSU CSE or engineering talent in general. OSU is lucky to place one undergrad a year at Google. When they place students at MSFT its uauly for IT consulting not SWE. Top software companies now recrut at OSU because they are forced to, but they rarely hire because the lack of talent.

JMan
    Participant

Great and hopeful news, except I’m surprised the IVC or VVC aren’t petitioning for whatever is finally built there to be 3-6 story red brick.

lbl
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lbl wrote:</div>
    maybe Les will commission a sleek looking building to compliment the new Vets “giant toilet seat” design.<br><br>
    any suggestions . . . ?

personally – I feel someone needs to convince the old guy his dollars would be better spent on light-rail.<br><br>
    (though he has enough to do both)

Actually I disagree. If we get light rail, it should be because the greater Cbus community is finally convinced we need it and the community get’s it [email protected] together and makes it happen-it should come not from above, but from below, for it to work. Besides, we need to get COTA together first and have established BRT and make the bus system better and then after that seeing what we really need with regards to light rail..(with the possible exception of Downtown/OSU rail route and a Downtown/airport rail route).

Cultural Institutions (especially like those mentioned) are much harder actually to get and this is what rich influential people are good at-using that influence within higher elite circles…transportation issues are usually not ‘that kind of thing’.

I am just glad to see a hint that(besides the Memorial) our local billionaire seems to be turning his interests toward downtown now. Every city can benefit greatly from having it’s resident billionaire(or two) championing the city and especially the downtown. Look at Detroit and Dan Gilbert-about to bring a huge iconic development in downtown Detroit at the former Hudson’s dept. store.

We need to get ole Les involved in being the patron Sain..er …billionare of downtown!

*Assuming any of this is true…but if those two great cultural institutions do come about on the Scioto penisula, and ole Wes is part of making it happen, I will personally happily kiss is old %ss! (as long as he is still among the living at that time, of course)

I totally agree that development of a light rail system from the ground up would be optimal – just noting that the only way this town may ever see such a thing will be through corporate sponsorship. certainly not my first choice either.

Nancy H
    Participant

I totally agree that development of a light rail system from the ground up would be optimal – just noting that the only way this town may ever see such a thing will be through corporate sponsorship. certainly not my first choice either.

Public/Private partnerships work well in Columbus. And, Les is fond of throwing money on the table for projects he believes in. Perhaps he will throw in a $$$ amount towards light rail and say “here City of Columbus match this” and let’s get light rail going.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Great and hopeful news, except I’m surprised the IVC or VVC aren’t petitioning for whatever is finally built there to be 3-6 story red brick.

I don’t know if the Franklinton folks have heard about this yet, but they must be shitting themselves in excitement. Granted, it wouldn’t be in the middle of the neighborhood, but still. Really surprised this isn’t getting more play.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Makes me wonder if this wasn’t supposed to get out just yet.

ohbr
    Participant

Makes me wonder if this wasn’t supposed to get out just yet.

I had the same thought. My money is that it is definitely something that was and is likely supposed to be withheld for a little while longer. The fact that they are in the “final” stages of negotiations already and we’re just now hearing about it is a pretty good indicator of how hard they worked to keep it quiet for so long. I imagine this has been a years’ long process. I can’t imagine the mayor’s office or one of the tourism bureaus wanted this to come from a source other than them and relatively hidden. Maybe it was to be Coleman’s last big announcement or Ginther’s first one. But there’s no turning back now I guess.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

If these museums happen that would be a total game changer for Columbus. We could turn the peninsula into our own version of Cleveland’s University Circle. I so so so hope this happens!

Indeed, it would be good to see this happen and it would be a huge deal for Columbus, particularly downtown.

But for the gazillionth time already, can we stop with the Cleveland comparisons?

Besides, unless Ohio State spontaneously decides to relocate its entire campus to Franklinton, including the Wexner Medical Center, the Scioto riverfront will never truly rival Cleveland’s University Circle in any meaningful way. University Circle is what it is because of the collection of educational institutions, hospitals, and museums built up in and around it over the past century. Just having 3-4 museums clustered together in one district along the Scioto isn’t going to give Columbus its own University Circle.

What it will do, however, is add cultural depth to the heart of the city and give people more reasons to visit, explore, and hang-out in Downtown Columbus after business hours and on weekends. That’s a good thing, and more of the direction that these efforts should really be heading in.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Mayor Coleman hasn’t made an announcement in a while. Agree completely this is ripe for Ginther’s first announcement.

The oddity is that no one in the press ran with it today–even at Cols Monthly.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

We get it, you should make way more money and it’s OSU’s fault. If they hadn’t held you back Elon Musk would be working for you. I hope you write the administration a strongly worded letter while we discuss the actual topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: