Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wexners have major plans for Scioto riverfront

This topic contains 82 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Before the Downtown zoo was scuttled by voters, the Dispatch reported that the Wexners had pledged $25 million to a new arts facility.

(Separately, the Ohio History Center had been staking out the riverfront, as well.)

Not much has been reported on this in a while, aside from rumors that the History Center is interested in the Wolfes’ property at State and Third for a mixed-use development.

But now, in an interview with Columbus Monthly, the Wexners are sharing some of the considerable plans that they’ve apparently been working on in the interim.

In addition to the Ralph Applebaum-designed Ohio Vets Memorial we already knew about…

Civic leaders are also in the final stages of nailing down an agreement with the American Museum of Natural History in New York to open a satellite along the riverfront. And another big new anchor institution could take up residence on the peninsula: Downtown leaders also are negotiating to bring a branch of the Smithsonian to the site, the Wexners say.

For the record, the Smithsonian is currently operating multiple museums in Washington D.C. and two in NYC.

There are four museums of natural history in Ohio–none in Columbus. But none, of course, carry the cache of NYC’s, which has been around since 1869.

Nancy H
    Participant

The title of your thread belies you comments… care to give us more?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The prospect of a Smithsonian and a satellite of the American Museum of Natural History along our riverfront strike me as major.

That’s all Columbus Monthly reported, so unfortunately, that’s all I’ve got.

lbl
    Participant

maybe Les will commission a sleek looking building to compliment the new Vets “giant toilet seat” design.
    any suggestions . . . ?

personally – I feel someone needs to convince the old guy his dollars would be better spent on light-rail.
    (though he has enough to do both)

Roger846
    Participant

If I could convince the old rich people on how to spend their money to help Columbus, I wouldn’t have voted for new museums; although, I admit they would be nice. I think we could use:

1. Light rail as lbl suggested. Either with startup costs or a fund to help with annual operating costs.

2. Another high-tech venture capital fund for central Ohio. Apparently, there’s not enough compared to other places.

3. Rent subsidies for artists in the Short North and/or a permanent building for them there or downtown.

4. Some kind of high-tech private research institute or engineering college to compete with OSU and others in stimulating spin off research.
    Competition is important in science and engineering. I think Nationwide Children’s spinoffs in just a few years should be stimulating some jealousy at OSU and Battelle. If not, they should be.

5. Dedicated bike lanes with curbs throughout the city.

6. Something like the Kalamazoo Promise (Kalamazoo, MI) where college tuition in state is paid for for any child who attends junior and high school in Columbus.

Of course, no rich person listens to me or would probably spend their money like this, but it’d be nice, I think, for them to give back on these things.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

The prospect of a Smithsonian and a satellite of the American Museum of Natural History along our riverfront strike me as major.

That’s all Columbus Monthly reported, so unfortunately, that’s all I’ve got.

Strikes me as odd that Columbus Monthly would be the only local media to report on something that would be a major major story for Columbus and that they wouldn’t post their scoop online? Maybe they’re just not that savvy?

If either of these materialize, they could be very transformative for the cultural scene in Columbus and for RiverSouth, Scioto Peninsula, and probably especially East Franklinton.

CbusIslander
    Participant

Both of these institutions setting up shop in the same area is big news. Puts Columbus in the same arena as the other “older” cities which the arts, museums, and cultural institutions has been around for decades. Add that with the mix use planned for the same area and an instant neighborhood will be born. Think short north on steroids.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Strikes me as odd that Columbus Monthly would be the only local media to report on something that would be a major major story for Columbus and that they wouldn’t post their scoop online? Maybe they’re just not that savvy?

If either of these materialize, they could be very transformative for the cultural scene in Columbus and for RiverSouth, Scioto Peninsula, and probably especially East Franklinton.

Incredibly odd. It’s why I was as surprised as I was when I read it, tucked away in the Monthly’s latest issue, in a Q&A with the Wexners.

WJT
    Participant

maybe Les will commission a sleek looking building to compliment the new Vets “giant toilet seat” design.<br>
    any suggestions . . . ?

personally – I feel someone needs to convince the old guy his dollars would be better spent on light-rail.<br>
    (though he has enough to do both)

Actually I disagree. If we get light rail, it should be because the greater Cbus community is finally convinced we need it and the community get’s it [email protected] together and makes it happen-it should come not from above, but from below, for it to work. Besides, we need to get COTA together first and have established BRT and make the bus system better and then after that seeing what we really need with regards to light rail..(with the possible exception of Downtown/OSU rail route and a Downtown/airport rail route).

Cultural Institutions (especially like those mentioned) are much harder actually to get and this is what rich influential people are good at-using that influence within higher elite circles…transportation issues are usually not ‘that kind of thing’.

I am just glad to see a hint that(besides the Memorial) our local billionaire seems to be turning his interests toward downtown now. Every city can benefit greatly from having it’s resident billionaire(or two) championing the city and especially the downtown. Look at Detroit and Dan Gilbert-about to bring a huge iconic development in downtown Detroit at the former Hudson’s dept. store.

We need to get ole Les involved in being the patron Sain..er …billionare of downtown!

*Assuming any of this is true…but if those two great cultural institutions do come about on the Scioto penisula, and ole Wes is part of making it happen, I will personally happily kiss is old %ss! (as long as he is still among the living at that time, of course)

ImNotaStar
    Participant

We do not need more venture capital dollars here. We have a lack of tech talent in the first place and a university with an absolutely horrendous CSE program (this comes from someone with a CSE degree from OSU). Until OSU takes its CSE program seriously the school and the city will never attract any real talent. Osu is investing millions in its Art but has done nothing for CSE since maybe the 1970s. I invite everyone to check out the facilities (Dreese) at OSU and compare them to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, or basically any other big 10 school. Then check the outside funding its CSE program recieves, basically nothing because it does not have any decent research oriented professors. It’s 2015 and we are investing in art facilities but not tech, its absolutely absurd. If you want tech here, you must start with the university, and ours doesn’t take engineering seriously at all.

rory
    Participant

Seems odd you would pick two natural history/history focused museums when you have a half-full COSI and the Ohio History Connection already here. Why not put money in existing institutions? My guess is we’ve just gotten a rare glimpse of a stick-in-eye negotiating tactic aimed at local institutions rather than an actual plan for a satellite museum.

mbeaumont
    Participant

If these museums happen that would be a total game changer for Columbus. We could turn the peninsula into our own version of Cleveland’s University Circle. I so so so hope this happens!

ohbr
    Participant

If these museums happen that would be a total game changer for Columbus. We could turn she peninsula into our own version of Cleveland’s University Circle. I so so so hope this happens!

I have always dreamed of this for Columbus. Group the museums as best as possible. And the more attractions we have, the more we can promote things like a City Pass to visitors.

I’ll be very interested to see how this plays out. Part of me wonders of this was supposed to be public information yet.

And even though we already have natural history/history museums, I can see trying to attract a national museum even if it seems redundant. It’s more about the prestige of a national museum than stepping on the toes of a local museum. At least that’s how I see it.

Edit: if only we could have a national partner for the military museum. While stunning on the outside, I fear the inside will be lacking any real substance when compared to other large military museums.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

State and Third is not really “riverfront”. It’s a parking lot behind the statehouse.

Speaking of which: There goes another parking lot!

ohbr
    Participant

We do not need more venture capital dollars here. We have a lack of tech talent in the first place and a university with an absolutely horrendous CSE program (this comes from someone with a CSE degree from OSU). Until OSU takes its CSE program seriously the school and the city will never attract any real talent. Osu is investing millions in its Art but has done nothing for CSE since maybe the 1970s. I invite everyone to check out the facilities (Dreese) at OSU and compare them to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, or basically any other big 10 school. Then check the outside funding its CSE program recieves, basically nothing because it does not have any decent research oriented professors. It’s 2015 and we are investing in art facilities but not tech, its absolutely absurd. If you want tech here, you must start with the university, and ours doesn’t take engineering seriously at all.

OSU is investing millions into art because that’s where alumni are donating. If alumni donate and their dollars don’t get put to good use where they want it, alumni stop donating. Same with sports. So part of that falls on alumni. You want to see the program excel, gather your fellow CSE grads and start putting money or leverage toward the program and go from there.

Columbus does need these venture capital dollars, because there is a lot more to a city than some disgruntled CSE graduates who are mad Columbus lacks the type of job they wanted and the program they chose wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be. We all have or know someone who made that mistake. Doesn’t make this city or OSU a bad place. How many other programs at OSU have graduates that are forced to consider leaving Columbus due to lack of jobs in that field here. Probably plenty and that’s ok to some extent. A city can’t have everything for all graduates. Hopefully you’ll fair better in New York.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.