Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Westerville Walmart

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Westerville Walmart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

[quote]Commission member Amy Koorn cast the only no vote. She said the shopping plaza still will have eight entrances and exits; she wants that cut to four.

“I don’t want people going home from work sitting in that traffic so that Walmart can profit,” she said after the meeting.[/quote]

Ummm, lady, we already do. Schrock/State/Cleveland is such a cluster on weekdays. I’m just lucky I can usually sneak out most days I’m there, but if I can’t, there’s A LOT of cursing until I get on the highway. I’ll take leaving Polaris at 5pm any day over this area.

Lakee911
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    [quote]Commission member Amy Koorn cast the only no vote. She said the shopping plaza still will have eight entrances and exits; she wants that cut to four.
    “I don’t want people going home from work sitting in that traffic so that Walmart can profit,” she said after the meeting.[/quote]
    Ummm, lady, we already do. Schrock/State/Cleveland is such a cluster on weekdays. I’m just lucky I can usually sneak out most days I’m there, but if I can’t, there’s A LOT of cursing until I get on the highway. I’ll take leaving Polaris at 5pm any day over this area.

“Ummm, lady,” (sorry, couldn’t resist) I work in the Polaris area. Leaving at 5PM is HORRIBLE. It takes me about 9 to 11 minutes to get in to work in the morning from home. On the way out, if I leave between 5PM and 6PM it’ll take me that long to get to the freeway if I’m lucky…and I can see it outside of my office window.

dmerkow

I say a small prayer every night that once they get Main Street open again, Shrock and State will be a smaller clustercuss. I’d say Westerville might be the most socio-economically diverse ‘burb in the region – richest to poorest.
    I don’t really see much in Westerville that will directly compete with this that is local and doesn’t already have major competition from stuff along Polaris/Maxtown and at Easton.

lbl
    Participant

i feel putting in this Wally will spell the end of multiple locally owned retailers in that area. mostly likely Rousch Hardware and Marc’s (which is a great Ohio success story. even though we only have a couple of them here – very popular up North)

reelfreak
    Participant

As long as this doesn’t interfere with my monthly visits to the Westerville MCL and Big Lots, I’m okay.

Let’s be honest, more people visit Wal-Mart than they care to admit. The problem is nobody wants one in their neighborhood. I think the concern over aesthetics has more to do with the shoppers than the building; currently, that is one ugly ass strip center.

Roush Hardware has a niche market that has survived for years; I’d be surprised to see Wal-Mart hurt their business. Marc’s on the other hand is in direct competition.

dmerkow

If Roush can survive with Lowe’s, Home Depot, and even Sears Hardware so close, this won’t make a difference. I’d imagine the Menard’s on Morse is scarier than Walmart. I don’t know as much about Marc’s, but this will be a smaller Walmart than most and Marc’s has to compete against Walmart in NEO anyway.

I agree that fixing the aesthetics of that shopping center is essential.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[b]Walmart’s fate rests with city council[/b]
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011
    By JENNIFER NESBITT
    ThisWeek Community Newspapers

[i]Westerville City Council will make the final decision on whether The Hadler Cos. can tear down three storefronts in its Westerville Square shopping center to construct a 108,000-square-foot Walmart.[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/westerville/stories/2011/05/04/walmarts-fate-rests-with-city-council.html?sid=104

somertimeoh
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

“Ummm, lady,” (sorry, couldn’t resist) I work in the Polaris area. Leaving at 5PM is HORRIBLE. It takes me about 9 to 11 minutes to get in to work in the morning from home. On the way out, if I leave between 5PM and 6PM it’ll take me that long to get to the freeway if I’m lucky…and I can see it outside of my office window.

I do both, lol. I have cubes in Polaris and Westerville. I’ll still take Polaris any day :)

News
    Participant

[b]Walmart finally coming to Westerville[/b]
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011
    BY COLLIN BINKLEY
    The Columbus Dispatch

[i]After a lawsuit in the past from other developers whose request to bring Walmart to Westerville were denied, the city opened its door to the retail chain tonight.[/i]

[i]With a 6-1 vote, Westerville City Council approved a 108,000-square-foot Walmart for Westerville Square, a decade after denying plans from other developers.[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/05/walmart-finally-coming-to-westerville.html?sid=101

Leahy255
    Participant

Seems to be a tight spot for a Walmart, that area seems so under served lol.. Um yeah, put some half-ass building up. Seems like Westerville is going down while Worthington thinking upwards with their redevelopment efforts.

patient_zero
    Participant

Leahy255 said:
    Seems to be a tight spot for a Walmart, that area seems so under served lol..

That’s what I’m thinking. The former Lazarus anchor store and the surrounding two stores aren’t that large to demo for a Smallmart concept, especially considering that the parking lot is not that large.

[img]http://www2.nbc4i.com/mgmedia/image/294/0/58173/westerville-square-shopping-center/[/img]

Parking will be tight and frustrating. I will add to what others have said about traffic congestion in that area, specifically Schrock and State/Westerville Road bottlenecks at prime times. Frustrating on a good day, schedule altering on a bad day. They are fiddling around with something on 3C near I-270 right now. It took me 25 minutes to get from Schrock and State to Nanak Bakery/Lac Viet by the 270 ramp. Even with Hadler providing an extra turn lane in the redevelopment and additional entrances and exits, the area will still remain congested because traffic has no where else to go.

Traffic at Schrock and Cleveland just North of this area can be just as bad at times, especially if there is an accident in the intersection or on 270, which congests the whole area.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve not really explored this area much, but I have to wonder exactly how “tight” it will be. The vast majority of Walmart (and other big box stores) have parking lots that are twice the size of what they need. Christmas eve is probably the only day of the year when you *might* see one of those lots at capacity.

A smaller parking lot for this Westerville store is probably better for day-to-day traffic and a bit more environmentally friendly and urban-design friendly.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker,
    Don’t forget the day after Thanksgiving too.

Also, Wal-Mart has been experimenting with [url=http://walmartstores.com/aboutus/7606.aspx]different sized stores[/url], although this doesn’t appear to be a “Wal-Mart Express” or a “Wal-Mart Market.”

gramarye
    Participant

A note about traffic:

I’ll make a prediction here, if people want to take me up on it: When this store is complete, the traffic at this intersection will not be significantly greater than it is now.

My reasoning: Traffic tends to expand to fill the infrastructure available to contain it. The reverse is true, too. Some more people will come through that intersection to get to Wal-Mart, but others will find other routes to avoid it. This is the converse side of the same principle advanced by urban planners against ever-expanding road networks out into the hinterlands: they cause as much traffic as they alleviate.

cc

^agreed. +1

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.