Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Westerville Walmart

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Westerville Walmart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Brant
    Participant

Didn’t the same thing happen at Carriage Place on Bethel Rd? Wal-Mart came in and replaced a vacant Big Bear and Drug Emporium. Seems like it worked out okay.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

gramarye wrote >>
    From the Dispatch article:

Company representatives said they courted 22 retailers, but Walmart was the only one willing to take on a lease and be part of the revitalization.

I don’t think Wal-Mart is a bad company, but even a bad company is better than a vacant Lazarus site.

If the site has been sitting vacant for awhile, it’s probably for a good reason.

If only 1 out of 22 retailers are interested, I’d say it could be a sign that the area is over-served with retail already.

gramarye
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>
    From the Dispatch article:

Company representatives said they courted 22 retailers, but Walmart was the only one willing to take on a lease and be part of the revitalization.

I don’t think Wal-Mart is a bad company, but even a bad company is better than a vacant Lazarus site.

If the site has been sitting vacant for awhile, it’s probably for a good reason.
    If only 1 out of 22 retailers are interested, I’d say it could be a sign that the area is over-served with retail already.

If that’s true, then the question would be what it’s not overserved with. I presume that residential is out, given that we appear to have at least as much residential saturation as retail saturation. I doubt most people in Westerville would be looking to rezone it for industrial use even were there an industrial option. It’s basically entirely paved, so it wouldn’t even offer much of an opportunity for a community garden or some other low-maintenance use that could be revisited later when the market for some kind of real estate picks up again.

Tigertree

I generally don’t believe in Walmart drying up business fears. Smaller stores should (in my opinion) be offering something that a larger, less flexible, store cannot. If the area is saturated to the point that 21 of 22 retailers thought it was a bad move, I might be inclined to throw it into the other category though. Westerville should probably consider the possibility that this will suck the energy out of their core and put it on the outskirts.
    I should note this is coming from someone that has never been to Westerville with the exception of Irony Pony…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It could just sit empty. It’s not like it would be that much more of an eyesore than a Walmart. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Westerville Walmart hearing will be first of many
    By BRET LIEBENDORFER
    Published: Sunday, October 31, 2010

If Walmart is coming to Westerville it’s going to be a drawn out process.

That was the message sent by Westerville Planning Commission on Wednesday, Oct. 27, when its members tabled a redevelopment proposal from the Hadler Cos., owners of the Westerville Square shopping center.

READ MORE: http://www.columbuslocalnews.com/articles/2010/10/31/multiple_papers/news/allwalmart_20101029_0622pm_2.txt

fclaugus

Anything happen at the hearing on November 22 ?

The next public hearing for the redevelopment of the Westerville Square is planned for 7 p.m. Nov. 22 in the City Council Chambers, 21 S. State St.

manticore33
    Participant

Pretty much anything South of the library in Westerville is 1970s and 1980s strip malls and suburban sprawl. Likewise, it is the same to the North, but newer (with Meijer, GE, newer homes, and etc). I do not see where Wal-Mart would cause a negative impact on the city by redeveloping that site. If anything, it might help traffic from those driving from S. State Street to N. State Street / Polaris / Maxtown. The traffic is difficult through the tiny two-lane downtown.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

maybe they should tear the building/strip mall down and make it a park if nobody but walmart is willing to go there.

gramarye
    Participant

NerosNeptune wrote >>
    maybe they should tear the building/strip mall down and make it a park if nobody but walmart is willing to go there.

Or they could simply tear it down and make it a Wal-Mart. :-P

dmerkow

The hard part of redeveloping this is that this strip is owned by a relatively small player (in fact the same family that built about 50 years ago). It seems like the guy basically hasn’t touched the place since they built originally. The complication is that if he just had a new merchant move-in and fixed it up, it wouldn’t have to follow the new overlay, but they want to tear part of it down, which is where the city has an interest in making this strip-center fit to the new style of development.
    I’m not a big fan of the Walmart going in there and State is absolutely bursting between Uptown and 270 (that should get a bit better when Main Street reopens next fall – allowing Cooper and Cleveland to get some of the capacity). They are trying to get better flow between Shrock and 270, but the capacity simply isn’t there and the turn at Huber Village doesn’t help at all.
    The notion that Walmart will be more damaging than the Meijer/Kroger/GiantEagle/Home Depot to small businesses is kind of a joke. I’d much rather see an Anderson’s than a Walmart, but unfortunately they aren’t a company that is particularly expanding, besides some much needed renovations.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Westerville Walmart proposal postponed until March
    Monday, February 14, 2011
    By JENNIFER NESBITT
    ThisWeek Community Newspapers

A possible vote on proposed renovations to Westerville Square will not be on the Westerville Planning Commission’s Feb. 23 agenda.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/westerville/stories/2011/02/09/Westerville-Walmart-proposal-postponed-until-March.html?sid=104

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walmart gets Westerville planning commission OK
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011
    BY COLLIN BINKLEY
    The Columbus Dispatch

The Westerville Planning Commission decided tonight that a proposal to put a Walmart in Westerville Square would be a major modification of the shopping center.

That means the proposal will go to the Westerville City Council; the commission voted 5 to 1 to forward it with a recommendation to accept the plan as long as the developer resolves any outstanding issues, which primarily are traffic concerns.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/27/walmart-gets-westerville-planning-commission-ok.html?sid=101

Snarf wrote >>
    Westerville and Walmart go hand in hand in my opinion. It’s not Upper Arlington or Worthington, it’s Westerville for crimeny sakes.

I think the crux of the issue is that Westerville residents (me being one of them) do think of their community being a bit more upscale. And while it would be politically incorrect to talk about what kind of people that could be brought into our community (for goodness sakes, we border Columbus, and there’s a lot of immigrant population on the north side – they’re already in our school system!), the focus has been about construction issues. I’d bet that if this were a Target, Trader Joes or another Meijer store proposing to go in, all this fuss would not be taking place.

The area is similar to the Carriage House on Bethel – where you have other businesses doing o.k., and otherwise the storefronts are filled. I don’t think this is going to be a negative for Westerville – would be nice to generate more revenue for the city, and for all the people who go Easton or Lewis Center Walmarts – their $ can stay local.

gramarye
    Participant

Westerville is a fairly mixed-income community, but the town covers a lot more ground than many people appreciate (simply because most people don’t associate suburbs with covering that much land area relative to the cities they abut). Northern Westerville is fairly wealthy, as are the amoeboid eastern reaches of the city extending out past the reservoir. There are still a fair number of homes in the area, closer in to Columbus, that cater to a much more lower-middle-class and blue collar demographic that’s Wal-Mart’s bread and butter.

In fact, Westerville is geographically spacious enough, and has enough main roads coming in and out of it, that most of the residents of the town living in wealthier areas could very likely avoid ever seeing the Wal-Mart, if they find it so aesthetically traumatic. (Personally, I don’t know why Wal-Mart is any more of an eyesore than the other ranks upon ranks of big box retailers that many Westerville residents find at nearby Polaris, or the outlying shopping centers at Easton, for that matter.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: