Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on Fifth - New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

This topic contains 119 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  News 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

My question is: when are we going to start addressing segments outside the 20-somethings living with a group of friends or well-to-do married couples that doesn’t involve financially encouraging them to live somewhere in the vicinity of the outerbelt or having to know someone who can get them a deal?

A good place to start might be looking at older housing stock and not brand-new buildings. ;)

Rodgers
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodgers wrote:</div>
    My question is: when are we going to start addressing segments outside the 20-somethings living with a group of friends or well-to-do married couples that doesn’t involve financially encouraging them to live somewhere in the vicinity of the outerbelt or having to know someone who can get them a deal?

A good place to start might be looking at older housing stock and not brand-new buildings. ;)

Almost every place you can rent near downtown that isn’t on campus is a new build (unless, once again, you know somebody that knows somebody that…), so that’s a non-starter, but I suspect you are talking about buying rather than renting when I was speaking of renting. Still, let’s go that route. ;-)

Where can we find affordable older housing stock near the Columbus city core in a relatively safe, interesting neighborhood? That’s not just a rhetorical question, as I’m in a position to consider buying and have looked recently, and everything that’s near Short North, Grandview, German Village, Clintonville, Olde Towne East, Franklinton, or King Lincoln District that isn’t right on the border with some really bad turf crime-wise doesn’t fall into the category of being that much more affordable than renting in a new build. So, from my perspective, renting or buying, if you need more room than a one bedroom but are single, don’t or can’t have roommates, and aren’t making significantly far above median income, you are still in the position of having to rent/buy right at the edge of the hood or in the burbs. However, I’m definitely open to having my perspective corrected by carefully targeted drops of knowledge. :-)

WJT
    Participant

Maybe this part of what he said “get thee henceforth to the burbs or the hood of your choosing.” indicates that the quality older housing stock in the better safer neighborhoods in either taken or also too expensive? Especially for someone with a child? Not speaking for him, just sayin’ and all….

*nevermind he already responded lol

Rodgers
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodgers wrote:</div><br>

Maybe this part of what he said “get thee henceforth to the burbs or the hood of your choosing.” indicates that the quality older housing stock in the better safer neighborhoods in either taken or also too expensive? Especially for someone with a child? Not speaking for him, just sayin’ and all….

Pretty much nailed it. There’s also the situation where the older housing stock is in a decent neighborhood but needs so much rehab that, overall, it would be an unaffordable choice overall.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Rodgers is correct especially in the area of losing stock on renting choices in non crime ridden areas. I’m very familiar with the Grandview/5xNW area and I get the feeling that in the past 10 years the gap between what’s old and busted and what’s new and hot is getting larger.

Maybe that’s just the gap in 20 years of development in the area but no one is building anything remotely affordable in the area for people not making 50k and up. New doesn’t have to be 600 Goodale or The Yard. If your only alternative is to just own a house then the rental market is broken.

/rant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Almost every place you can rent near downtown that isn’t on campus is a new build (unless, once again, you know somebody that knows somebody that…), so that’s a non-starter, but I suspect you are talking about buying rather than renting when I was speaking of renting. Still, let’s go that route. ;-)

I was talking about both renting and buying. Most of the brand new builds for sale in the inner core of the city are in the $300k-$600k range, so I think the same holds true that you’ve got to look for an older house rather than a new one if you want something more affordable to buy.

Where can we find affordable older housing stock near the Columbus city core in a relatively safe, interesting neighborhood?

Well, that’s a very subjective set of parameters, so I’d say it would vary a lot depending on your definition of safety, proximity, and what you find interesting. If you have some very strict/specific guidelines, it might be tougher because the closer you are to the interesting things, the more expensive it gets. If you have a bit of wiggle room, then you can find something affordable. There’s a fixer-upper on our block going for $99k. It’s a 100-year old brick home. 3 bedrooms and 1800 sqft with a garage and small yard.

Of course, there’s no breweries too close and you’ve got to drive to get to some things. But that’s part of the trade off.

That’s not just a rhetorical question, as I’m in a position to consider buying and have looked recently, and everything that’s near Short North, Grandview, German Village, Clintonville, Olde Towne East, Franklinton, or King Lincoln District that isn’t right on the border with some really bad turf crime-wise doesn’t fall into the category of being that much more affordable than renting in a new build.

I don’t know too much about your price range, but a quick scan of for-sale properties shows a lot in the central city sub-$200k:

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Columbus,OH/13_zm/39.934701149636595,39.9966688720691,-83.07937388427735,-82.93071513183594_xy/0-200000_price/map_v

Of course, that’s without looking at sizes, bedrooms and conditions. Just a quick search.

A quick scan of sub $1000/mo rentals turns up a lot in the central city too…

http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Columbus,OH/13_zm/39.935927269637794,39.9978938811832,-83.07865072021485,-82.92999196777345_xy/0-1000_price/map_v

So, from my perspective, renting or buying, if you need more room than a one bedroom but are single, don’t or can’t have roommates, and aren’t making significantly far above median income, you are still in the position of having to rent/buy right at the edge of the hood or in the burbs.

I’d recommend finding a realtor who might be able to help navigate options since it sounds like you have a very specific set of conditions that you’re filtering things with. I highly recommend talking to Joe Peffer. Really knowledgable guy:

http://deliciousrealestate.com/columbus-real-estate-agents/

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>
    We talked to the girl at the leasing office over there, and she said the apartments in the main building won’t be ready until December or January. The parking garage they put in behind it will have 800 spots, some of which will be used for the retail on the ground floor.

An 800 space parking garage is pretty large for a residential project. Those things are expensive-I bet at least 15-20 million bucks.

I take that back. Don’t want to give out false information. I believe it was 400 spots. That makes more sense.

Rodgers
    Participant

I was talking about both renting and buying. Most of the brand new builds for sale in the inner core of the city are in the $300k-$600k range, so I think the same holds true that you’ve got to look for an older house rather than a new one if you want something more affordable to buy.

Where can we find affordable older housing stock near the Columbus city core in a relatively safe, interesting neighborhood?

Well, that’s a very subjective set of parameters, so I’d say it would vary a lot depending on your definition of safety, proximity, and what you find interesting. If you have some very strict/specific guidelines, it might be tougher because the closer you are to the interesting things, the more expensive it gets. If you have a bit of wiggle room, then you can find something affordable. There’s a fixer-upper on our block going for $99k. It’s a 100-year old brick home. 3 bedrooms and 1800 sqft with a garage and small yard.

Of course, there’s no breweries too close and you’ve got to drive to get to some things. But that’s part of the trade off.

That’s not just a rhetorical question, as I’m in a position to consider buying and have looked recently, and everything that’s near Short North, Grandview, German Village, Clintonville, Olde Towne East, Franklinton, or King Lincoln District that isn’t right on the border with some really bad turf crime-wise doesn’t fall into the category of being that much more affordable than renting in a new build.

I don’t know too much about your price range, but a quick scan of for-sale properties shows a lot in the central city sub-$200k:

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Columbus,OH/13_zm/39.934701149636595,39.9966688720691,-83.07937388427735,-82.93071513183594_xy/0-200000_price/map_v

Of course, that’s without looking at sizes, bedrooms and conditions. Just a quick search.

A quick scan of sub $1000/mo rentals turns up a lot in the central city too…

http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Columbus,OH/13_zm/39.935927269637794,39.9978938811832,-83.07865072021485,-82.92999196777345_xy/0-1000_price/map_v

So, from my perspective, renting or buying, if you need more room than a one bedroom but are single, don’t or can’t have roommates, and aren’t making significantly far above median income, you are still in the position of having to rent/buy right at the edge of the hood or in the burbs.

I’d recommend finding a realtor who might be able to help navigate options since it sounds like you have a very specific set of conditions that you’re filtering things with. I highly recommend talking to Joe Peffer. Really knowledgable guy:

http://deliciousrealestate.com/columbus-real-estate-agents/

While I appreciate the searches (and acknowledge you concede not narrowing the search by number of bedrooms available), I did narrow the sub-$1,000 rentals to 2+bedrooms, and that put a big dent into what was available outside more crime-prone areas. And the houses listed…yeah, they are one bedroom for the most part if they are even remotely outside a higher-crime area; when filtered for 2+ bedrooms, unless I want to move into an area where I’m substantially more likely to get mugged or be a victim of burglary, there’s not a lot to choose from. So, if anything, I feel that your searches have inadvertently reinforced my position that there’s not a lot of hope for a single middle class person or a single parent who needs more than one bedroom of finding something that’s not in the hood or the burbs.

As far as the $99k house on your block, my question would be how much an owner would need to invest in it? If the house would demand $100k in renovations, then we are back at square one in terms of affordability.

My personal filters aren’t as stringent as they might seem: something reasonably affordable for a single above-average (but not independently wealthy) income in an area with a low rate of assault or burglary that has at least a couple of attractions within walking distance.

Do keep in mind that I’m not just looking at this through my own eyes or applying my filters, though. Let’s take a hypothetical single mom of two kids, a mom with a slightly above median income job downtown. With housing as it is, she has two choices: live in the burbs and commute (I thought we were all about moving away from that model of living) or live the hood. If the goal is to combat sprawl, the burbs aren’t a good option. That leaves…the hood? A single mom in the hood…nothing could go wrong with the kids being forced to be surrounded by poverty and the culture of poverty. No, I don’t think that’s a good option either, and while I don’t necessarily like rent controls (I understand – perhaps incorrectly – that they cause more problems than they solve), perhaps we could incentivize developers to develop some middle-class high density living closer to the urban core.

In closing, I’m not trying to be a Debbie-Downer. I genuinely love the revitalization that’s happening in Columbus and – believe it or not – overall I feel that gentrification is a positive force. However, it has to happen smartly, and we can’t achieve smart development by failing to recognize when certain segments are going underserved. Problems are never solved by ignoring them or denying their existence. :-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Problems are never solved by ignoring them or denying their existence. :-)

I’m not doing either of those.

Could Columbus use more affordable housing? Of course.

Is affordable housing completely nonexistent right now? Of course not.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Couple of new photo updates from this weekend…

MORE PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-july-2015-part-1

cadillackid
    Participant

I dont think columbus is unique.. I travel alot.. prettyy much every city I go to is undergoing the core-revival.. People are back on that Kick of living central.. everything goes in cycles… since EVERYONE wants to do it, that means its going to get expensive..

Money for development is cheap right now and the ROI is fast if you charge high rents.. because MANY investors got their “buns” handed to them in the rest estate crash of 2007 – ??? , its understandable that for a project to get off the ground its goingto have to have a pretty fast ROI for its investors.. if that means not being so “community friendly” but instead building a development they know will command (and GET) high rents / sale prices thats what they are going to do…

it also becomes a personal perspective thing too.. in fact I went through this myself…

I thought.. WOW! my business is really taking off.. my paycheck too, how about I sell my Modern suburban new-build (I built it 11 years ago).. and buy a place in the stereotypical central city area.. surrounding downtown.. namely GV / Short north / Grandview..

my current house payment sets me back a mere $1050 / mo (includes everything).. its a 1300 sq ft Ranch, basement, energy efficient, with MANY updates ive done to it since ive built it.. (wood floors, Intelligent smart hosue stuff.. yada yada)..

I wanted to be more walkable I said.. walk out the front door to go have a drink.. or a meal.. .. or just to walk.. (after all i may walk More than Walker… 10 miles / day is norm for me)..

I found that to gwet a house with what I wanted in it ( ready to fly.. good solid non fixer-upper with recent HVAC, windows, floors, garage, etc) my mortgage payment would go to likely 2000 – 2500 bucks… lets just say I went for the gusto and my payment went to $2550…(for ease), thats $1500 more than I pay now…

my suburban home is near Grove city.. I-270 entrance very easy.. in fact so Easy that i can drive to my “super secret” free parking spot in German village within 15 minutes.. maybe 20 tops… Ok so I hop in my Smart which is easy to park, great on gas.. Cheap to own.. its plastic so it doesnt get scratched and no one tries to break in it or steal it.. and im walkable in 20 minutes tops…

Great! with things such as Car2Go and C-bus I am Anywhere within center city very quickly…

restaraunts, bars, shopping, all mine..

Ok.. now I want to have a drink with my lunch or dinner? (I dont drink and drive).. Uber is only about $12-15 from my house.. ahhh so now I have a $30 Uber bill that day… If I UBERed EVERY SINGLE DAY I’d still only run up $900 / month

if im REALLY he Double L bent on being downtown for events.. ie RWB, DooDahh, Gallery Hop.. I just call up my favorite travel app and get a room at the Hampton, courtyard, Hilton, etc…

when im done for the Day or Night i can still return Home to my Little suburbia where I can sleep with every window in the house open, accidentilly forget my Jeep is in the driveway with its keys in it, Parking is a Plenty when i want to have those friends with cars (most all of them) over for dinner, Buckeye games, etc…

all this and the good thing about it? I dont incur any of these above costs when im away on business for weeks at a time….

im not saying this works for everyone because it doesnt.. I am just giving you a Different perspective on Living spaces..

YES I agree there is a Pulse and energu about living in a downtown neighborhood.. BUT you can still take in our city’s Vibe and sleep somewhere else..

I do it pretty Much daily…

-Christopher

cadillackid
    Participant

now back on topic… my only BIG BEEF with this new building is its LACK of regard for energy efficiency… some of the techniques they used looked a bit careless.. that and putting un-coated Metal-framed SLider windows in (about the worse efficiency you can get)…

-Christopher

5XNW
    Participant

To All:

The 5XNW Area Commission NOW meets at St. Luke’s UMC, 1150 W. Fifth Avenue Columbus, OH 43212 – the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm – in lieu of the previous’ poster’s former meeting place/address for us. We have been meeting at this new location since 2013 since we were awarded “Neighborhood Pride” by the Mayor and his department heads :) We were always seeking a meeting spot that was IN our area and convenient to the the volunteers and City Liaisons that assist us with zoning, trees, traffic planning, green space, etc. but were always challenged by the lack of community space in the past – but finally were able to successful move to a new location within our boundaries (not that we aren’t grateful for the years that our previous address hosted us).

As posted on this site/message board, we USUALLY meet the first Tuesday of every month at this location in the Community Meeting Space at 1150 W. Fifth Avenue (next to where Cord Camera used to be – soon to be an auto parts store), BUT we are joining Clintonville and numerous other neighborhoods in Columbus and across the nation in celebrating National Night Out (NNO) on that night… as we are proud of the community spirit, neighborhood safety (some of the lowest crime rates in the City of Columbus), neighborliness, and “local flavor” of our neighborhood!

We will be hosting for 5XNW NNO:
    – A neighborhood bike ride with YahBikes! Highlighting some of our community partnerships & locally owned restaurants as well as green space development that is underway (with speakers to talk about the details at the event)
    – Local entertainment, food truck(s), performers, band(s), farmer’s market vendors and more!

Hope you can join us for National Night Out, the first Tuesday of August – 630 – 830 at our meeting location (of two+ years), 1150 W. Fifth Avenue – St. Luke’s UMC inside & outside of the church! Rain or shine! http://www.fifthbynorthwest.org

5XNW
    Participant

FYI – we just met with the City to emphasize traffic planning & mobility options in our area! More to come on this… :)

News
    Participant

Moretti’s Fast Casual Spin-Off “Palle” Coming Soon to The View on Fifth
    September 3, 2015 12:56 pm – Walker Evans

Tim Moretti has spent his entire life in Columbus restaurants. His grandparents owned restaurants, his parents owned restaurants, and he himself has owned and operated Moretti’s of Arlington since 2000. After 15 years, he’s ready to try something new: a casual meatball-centric concept known as Palle by Moretti.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/palle-by-morettis-meatballs-fifth-avenue

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.