Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on Fifth - New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)
  • Author

Sk1600
    Participant

I also live in one of the Holly Avenue buildings, and although the stamping can sometimes be annoying, it really only started recently. Up until a few weeks ago, I had never heard or felt it. I do understand the frustrations, and perhaps it’s worse for some apartments, but I haven’t lost any sleep.

It seems that Banner very rarely if ever uses the magnitude of force that they have been. I’m not really defending the developer, but I do think that’s the case and might explain how they didn’t catch it.

cbusresident
    Participant

Here is a video taken inside my bedroom at The View on Fifth, looking at Banner as the press is running right now. I’m also in Building C, but as you can see in the video, I’m on the first floor. This is exactly what we hear when we’re trying to sleep in my particular unit – tvs and fans don’t block it out completely but they do help some. Again, my bedroom is as close to Banner as you can get, so it goes without saying that there will be varying degrees of sound and vibration experienced throughout the buildings.

As for me being a user with only one post – I don’t blame your concern. I follow Columbus Underground, but I hadn’t created an account until I felt that I needed to share this experience with others looking to move here.

If you’re looking to lease at this complex, I’d try to get a unit across Holly Ave in buildings A or B, after you visit the property during Banner’s operating hours to see if it’s something you can deal with. The tenants in A and B have said that the sound and vibrations are not nearly as intense there. Buildings C and D are certainly most affected by this issue, as we’re just a few yards away. When we moved into our apartment in July 2014 when the building opened, Banner never presented a major issue- we could sometimes hear them operating, but they seemed to operate within reasonable hours and not nearly at the noise levels we’re currently experiencing. The issues really started around December- not sure what changed at Banner.

We were also told last week in our tenant/management meeting by Barb (at Hometeam Properties) that the portion of the complex under construction on Fifth will actually be zoned residential as opposed to industrial. Here’s to hoping she’s right, and that living in the new building will be tolerable to tenants.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

bobcat4life
    Participant

I also have lived in the Holly Ave buildings at The View since mid summer. I would not recommend this property to anyone as things stand currently. There have been nothing but problems since the beginning. In addition to the latest Banner issues (which are by far the worst), the property management team has not been the least bit helpful. Numerous complaints have been reported about extremely high heating bills, doors not being properly sealed so letting in HUGE drafts of cold air, management entering the premises without giving 24 hour notice (as stated in the lease) and not leaving any note that they were even there, negative attitudes from staff members, etc. Until recently when the tenants got together and formed a group (because the View violated email privacy and failed to BCC emails to the whole community), the View has not done a single thing to address any of the above issues. One positive I can say is that once they felt a threat that people were actually going to do something about the excessive problems that are occurring they have finally started to make a few changes. For $1500/mo in rent, I would expect much better management and definitely better construction of the buildings. It is very apparent that these units were thrown together as cheaply and quickly as possible and they are already (only 6 months old) showing significant wear and tear. The Banner issues are definitely the most pressing, given that residents cannot even sleep in their $1500/mo apartments, but there are far more issues that have been present all along. Hometeam Properties was clearly unaware that dealing with professional adults, as opposed to college students, would be a whole different ball game.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Does anyone know the parking situation for these new apartments?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The buildings on Holly Avenue have surface lots and the big building on Fifth has a parking garage within.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>

The buildings on Holly Avenue have surface lots and the big building on Fifth has a parking garage within.

I’m wondering if all of these will be assigned and have to be paid for, or if there’s enough for visitors. It seems like a pretty tight area with not a whole lot of extra room.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Just a bit outside… my price range.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

We talked to the girl at the leasing office over there, and she said the apartments in the main building won’t be ready until December or January. The parking garage they put in behind it will have 800 spots, some of which will be used for the retail on the ground floor.

Rodgers
    Participant

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Studio and One Bedroom $900:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-studio-and-one-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Two Bedroom $1,605:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-two-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Three Bedroom $1,800:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-three-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Four Bedroom $2,925:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-four-bedroom/

I have a dream that one day someone that is single, needs two bedrooms, and doesn’t want a roommate will be able to find affordable housing in a relatively safe, lively neighborhood close to the city core, a Columbus in which they aren’t cast either to the hood or the suburbs…

All joking aside, if you limit your rent to 25% of what you earn, here’s what you need to make annually to afford these units:

One bedroom: $43,200 – That’s not awful and pretty close to the median household (not individual) income here in Columbus, but it’s only one bedroom. If you are a single parent or otherwise legitimately need more space, we need to look at the next category…)

Two bedrooms: $77,040 ($38,520 needed to be earned per room) – That’s quite a leap in income. Sure, it’s not warbucks cash, but it’s also out of reach for most of the people in the metro area…on their own. So if you are that aforementioned single parent or other person in need of two bedrooms whom isn’t quite pulling in that kind of cash (and don’t want or can’t have a roommate), well…get thee henceforth to the burbs or the hood of your choosing.

Three bedrooms: $86,400 ($28,800 needed to be earned per room) – I see that the curve is flattening a bit here, as the jump isn’t nearly as high as it was moving from one bedroom to two bedrooms. (Also, this is your best deal, if you don’t mind roommates.)

Four bedrooms: $140,400 ($35,100 needed to be earned per room) – Another large jump, just when I thought the curve was flattening. These are going to either rather well-to do couples or roomies who will split the cost.

My question is: when are we going to start addressing segments outside the 20-somethings living with a group of friends or well-to-do married couples that doesn’t involve financially encouraging them to live somewhere in the vicinity of the outerbelt or having to know someone who can get them a deal? Are we heading towards being another Austin (which might sound like a good thing, until you check out how much the cost of living has gone up in Austin)?

WJT
    Participant

We talked to the girl at the leasing office over there, and she said the apartments in the main building won’t be ready until December or January. The parking garage they put in behind it will have 800 spots, some of which will be used for the retail on the ground floor.

An 800 space parking garage is pretty large for a residential project. Those things are expensive-I bet at least 15-20 million bucks.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Urban Living wrote:</div>
    The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Studio and One Bedroom $900:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-studio-and-one-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Two Bedroom $1,605:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-two-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Three Bedroom $1,800:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-three-bedroom/

The View on Fifth: Fifth Avenue Four Bedroom $2,925:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/the-view-on-fifth-fifth-avenue-four-bedroom/

I have a dream that one day someone that is single, needs two bedrooms, and doesn’t want a roommate will be able to find affordable housing in a relatively safe, lively neighborhood close to the city core, a Columbus in which they aren’t cast either to the hood or the suburbs…

All joking aside, if you limit your rent to 25% of what you earn, here’s what you need to make annually to afford these units:

One bedroom: $43,200 – That’s not awful and pretty close to the median household (not individual) income here in Columbus, but it’s only one bedroom. If you are a single parent or otherwise legitimately need more space, we need to look at the next category…)

Two bedrooms: $77,040 ($38,520 needed to be earned per room) – That’s quite a leap in income. Sure, it’s not warbucks cash, but it’s also out of reach for most of the people in the metro area…on their own. So if you are that aforementioned single parent or other person in need of two bedrooms whom isn’t quite pulling in that kind of cash (and don’t want or can’t have a roommate), well…get thee henceforth to the burbs or the hood of your choosing.

Three bedrooms: $86,400 ($28,800 needed to be earned per room) – I see that the curve is flattening a bit here, as the jump isn’t nearly as high as it was moving from one bedroom to two bedrooms. (Also, this is your best deal, if you don’t mind roommates.)

Four bedrooms: $140,400 ($35,100 needed to be earned per room) – Another large jump, just when I thought the curve was flattening. These are going to either rather well-to do couples or roomies who will split the cost.

My question is: when are we going to start addressing segments outside the 20-somethings living with a group of friends or well-to-do married couples that doesn’t involve financially encouraging them to live somewhere in the vicinity of the outerbelt or having to know someone who can get them a deal? Are we heading towards being another Austin (which might sound like a good thing, until you check out how much the cost of living has gone up in Austin)?

Seems like all the new builds in towards the center are like this. some are above 2 bucks a square foot, some are close to three bucks a square foot(see the Atlas building). I wonder how much that 800 spot parking garage helped raise those rents?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO