Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on Fifth - New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author

Chicken
    Participant

I could see the complaint being legit. That stamping company is real and it’s like 100 feet from those apartments on Holly.

I spend every day in close proximity to Banner and it shakes nearby buildings depending on what they are stamping. When they do the big stuff, it’s kind of unreal how much you can feel it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo
    Participant

That’s a gigantic building – totally changes the feel of 5th Ave. Looking forward to seeing what the final exterior finishes look like.

cbusresident
    Participant

I’m also a current resident of the View on Fifth units on Holly Avenue. We moved into this neighborhood very excited to live in Grandview, and our beautiful brand new apartment (“suite”). We hoped to stay here until we eventually bought a house, but I strongly doubt we can deal with the interruptions in sleep that result from Banner. The previous comment about vibrations and noise is 100% accurate. Last night Banner operated until 1:30 am, pounding through my apartment every six seconds. They also resumed operations at 6am. The residents of the view on fifth “extended stay hotel” are currently going through tenant meetings which have included the Hometeam Properties group, Mr. Solove, his business partner, and their attorney regarding the issues we’ve had with Banner. We’re hoping to reach a resolution soon. Unfortunately these beautiful buildings are already suffering damages from the vibrations, and frustrations are very high among many of the sleep-deprived residents who live here. From communications to the city, we’ve learned that due to the zoning of the area, there may not be anything the management can do and it’s possible that Banner will continue to operate at any hour of the day and night. The management has sent all of the residents a copy of the letter their attorney sent to Banner, but we still haven’t received any indication that a resolution is in sight.

Not to mention – we are beyond annoyed that our “state of the art amenities” continue to get pushed back. It’s understood that construction can often fall behind schedule, but the amenities we currently pay for include a heated pool, a state of the art fitness facility, the clubhouse and dog park (the last two finally opened, months after their scheduled date). We just learned that the pool and fitness facility that were scheduled to open this summer will now be postponed until fall, well after our leases have expired and many of us have moved out. However, we continue to pay for these amenities that many of us will most likely never have the opportunity to use.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

This just seems like a huge oversight on the part of the developers. Especially if it’s physically damaging their investment. Isn’t there also an apartment complex going to be built just east of Banner between Norton and Edgehill? I have to imagine they’ll have issues as well.

I wonder if there’s any discussions around buying out their land and helping to relocate them. I have to imagine their land is worth more as residential than as a metal stamping site.

benr087
    Participant

I have lived in The View on Fifth since the first building (building C) opened in July 2014. I knew within the first month of living here that I would not be resigning.

The experience of living here has been very subpar, especially for the rates they charge.

The biggest issue is that the apartment is not actually an apartment but is legally considered an “extended stay hotel.” This allowed for the developers to build these units in a non-residential, industrial area. You will notice in the lease that they never actually call the unit an apartment but rather a “suite”. What makes matters worse is that there is a 100 year old stamping plant next door called Banner and, since it is an industrial area, the stamping plant is allowed to operate at all hours. Not only is the stamping plant loud, but it also makes the building shake. There have been numerous evenings and early mornings where I have not been able to sleep due to this issue.

Construction has been another issue. Again, they are allowed work early morning and late into the night because they are not subject to the residential code. The loudest of the construction has been on the 5th avenue building. Although construction will be done within the next year, there is not guarantee that construction won’t start again nearby. There is an abounded warehouse on Norton that I’m willing to bet will get torn down and developed at some point.

Additionally, Home Team Properties has been very bad at responding to service requests. When I moved in it took them over a month to get back to my service request. Another example of poor customer service is when they gave us 24 hour notice that our locks would be changing the next day and they expected us to pick up our keys during normal business hours, when the majority of us are at work. Furthermore, the doors we used to have had 2 locks (a dead bolt and a door handle lock) and the replacement removed the door lock so now we have 1 lock instead of two. It should also be noted that The View is Home Team Properties first non- Ohio State student housing job. One could only wonder how a property management company that caters to college students got a job to manage these so called “upscale” suites.

Parking is another issue. Back in March of 2014 the city of Columbus passed a law for “mixed use” complexes which requires them to have 1.5 spots per unit as opposed to 1. Although I have never counted the spaces myself, parking is limited and there building A units aren’t even opened yet.

With that said, I hope you do not make the same mistake I did. I don’t know how JSDI, LLC got a permit to build in this area, probably a result of some crony capitalism if you ask me. Industrial location, poorly constructed buildings and an inexperienced management company. If you are still interested, at least try to bring this issue up with the leasing office to get a more realistic rental rate or perhaps a month-to-month lease arrangement instead of an annual one.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Is this a new tactic from the Meridian people or whatever you that place is off of Grandview Ave? Will the Craigslist spam posts ever end? Ahhhh!

Additionally, I have a friend who lives in the Holly Town Homes. She had some issues with her unit not being finished in time (they put her in another in the mean time) but have never heard any of the aforementioned complaints or witnessed them while visiting.

Having recently lived in a new build complex, if you move in thinking you’re going to have a bunch of amenities that are currently a whole in the ground then you had better sign up for somewhere else.

RedStorm
    Participant

Wondering who can verify some of these stories. No offense to those posting – but everybody so far is a one-time poster. Just seems odd.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

I can confirm that Banner is a very busy metal stamper. Working in that industry, I can tell you that none of this surprises me. They have some big presses, and you will hear/feel those quite a distance away. They have made capital investments in the last decade, and I am certain that they won’t be moving anytime soon, unless they out grow their facility.

RedStorm
    Participant

^Thanks, sounds like some people failed to do proper research before building. Unless something changes, I can’t see too many people being happy to move there. Unfortunate situation.

benr087
    Participant

I did just create a new username but I do check this site occasionally. My goal is to spread awareness on this issue and this website seemed like a good place to do it.

To help ease the concerns that I am not someone from the “Meridian attacking this project” and that I do actually live here. Here is a Youtube video from my apartment in building C on Holly Avenue filmed on 1/27/15 at 7:12pm on my iPhone 6. Banner has notified us that they have a huge project this week and they have been running the machine until 1:30am and starting it up around 6 a.m. again.

A161830
    Participant

Your video is marked “private” so we can’t view.

benr087
    Participant

Just fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

RedStorm
    Participant

Sorry, wasn’t trying to attack your credibility – it’s just very easy to create a username and type up some issues, but it sounds like this should have been an issue vetted before construction started. Based on the comments here (and that video), I’m not sure who would want to live there.

benr087
    Participant

I was referring to Josh’s comment about me being affiliated the the Meridian.
    But yes having a stamping plant next door wasn’t something I was expecting when I moved in. Although one could argue that I should have done a little more due diligence, I think this is something a developer should consider before breaking ground.

I’m sure that some of the units on the northwestern side of Holly behind Brazenhead are not affected and I doubt that the 5th avenue building will be either.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: