Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on Fifth - New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

This topic contains 119 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

JaredThompson said:
    I was excited when I thought this was a condominium project.

Unlikely these days. Rentals are really really hot now while condos are a tough sell.

futureman
    Participant

rus said:
    This is interesting:

“They’re all going to be fully furnished, which is rather unique for Columbus,” Balakrishnan said. “We’re seeing that trend in Austin, where we have a presence. Ohio State is not just local, so we’ll be marketing overseas — Hong Kong, Singapore, Europe — to the kids and their families who are looking for a better product.”

ETA: Wow. Apparently futureman broke CU. Guess posting something about parking caused servers to assplode. ;)

Yeah, more like trying to make a nice bold list point using the li’s …. though I do like the point they make with making space in the garage for the commercial spaces.

mrpoppinzs

bucki12 said:
    lol…rent-a-center

I think they are targeting a very specific student demographic and I think it will be very lucrative for them. Those aren’t the students flocking to South Campus.

I think on paper this project is great. The one caveat I see, all depends on how it is managed. It sounds like they are taking the Meridian approach and aiming more at a student demographic. That can be fine, but the high turnover rate invites a management that can count on new outside renters every year. These targeted foreign or out of state renters are usually enticed by slick pamphlets, and fancy websites that locals may not be as dependent upon.

Places like Meridian and Arbors of Watermark which cater to this market are known for cultivating a $$$ over substance approach to their tenants and maybe are not the best projects to have in a community. This is me just noting this and hoping that angle never develops.

buckette13

mrpoppinzs said:

Places like Meridian and Arbors of Watermark which cater to this market are known for cultivating a $$$ over substance approach to their tenants and maybe are not the best projects to have in a community. This is me just noting this and hoping that angle never develops.

The Meridian Apartments are pretty horrible and luckily I was saved from renting there by word of mouth. It is a shame too as that is a great location. Unless we know more about the developers of the View any guessing it just hypothetical.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-meridian-columbus

The Meridian is managed by the Connor Group.

Pablo
    Participant

The Arbors of Watermark are also managed/owned by the Connor Group. Maybe the bad rep has more to do with this particular owner than the type of apartment.

rus
    rus
    Participant

futureman said:
    Yeah, more like trying to make a nice bold list point using the li’s …. though I do like the point they make with making space in the garage for the commercial spaces.

Yeah, that is nice. An available parking slot, in a surface lot or a garage, is a good thing.

HogRoaster
    Participant

Wonder if the Brazenhead is going to partner up with them for parking spots in the garage. I assume this will wipe out a bunch of their parking, which is already scarce on Wednesday nights.

heresthecasey
    Participant

rus said:
    Yeah, that is nice. An available parking slot, in a surface lot or a garage, is a good thing.

rus
    rus
    Participant

heresthecasey said:

Yeah, I’m sneakily supporting people who may *GASP* want to drive to this location.

leftovers

The project seems great but the pre-furnishing seems to make it setup for a pretty specific clientele. I am all for going minimalist but if you are going to be anywhere for more than a couple of years and not spending all your time studying I would think a good part of making a home your own is the furniture.

If this is just a big dorm then I am not as excited (though that is still pretty happy).

InnerCore
    Participant

leftovers said:
    The project seems great but the pre-furnishing seems to make it setup for a pretty specific clientele. I am all for going minimalist but if you are going to be anywhere for more than a couple of years and not spending all your time studying I would think a good part of making a home your own is the furniture.

If this is just a big dorm then I am not as excited (though that is still pretty happy).

I agree and there overall plan just doesn’t seem to make sense. They talk about getting empty nesters as well as millennial’s in the 20’s to 30’s. If that’s the case then providing ALL these units fully furnished seems to be a big mistake. Where on earth are you going to find an empty nester or a 30 year old young professional in Columbus that doesn’t have a decent amount of furniture?

Furnished units cost more than regular units because obviously you have to pay to furnish them and up keep them. This is great for transient people as they would rather pay $200 more per month instead of shelling out $5k for furniture and then have to go through the hassle of paying to have the furniture moved in a year or two.

But where talking about a few units. If we had a complex with 285 units we would probably only do 20 units, maybe more if we were close to campus or downtown and had a corporate contract.

But ALL the units just sound crazy as it would limit the options of people who could rent here. Let’s say you’re an empty nester and your looking to downsize. Maybe you could get rid of your bedroom set but not you living room or vice versa. Now you have to get a storage unit and pay more money on top of the additional rent of the furnished unit. Not to mention most people don’t want to use someone else furniture that probably isn’t even their style.

If they have some sort of corporate contract with Ohio State then fine, but minus that this doesn’t make much sense.

RedStorm
    Participant

Any word on when construction is set to start? Targeted timeline? Just curious. Haven’t heard anything the past month (I also haven’t been along 5th so maybe construction already has started).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well, the “View on High” was announced in February and demo of the old site was just started last week:

Mixed-use Development Proposed at Site of Campus Wendy’s

If the same five month window is applied to the “View on Fifth”, then we’ll see demolition of the old site in early December? ;)

futureman
    Participant

I did notice American Plastic recently put up signs for a moving sale over the weekend. Temp fence has been around several of the buildings on Holly Ave for awhile now. Haven’t seen any heavy machinery around yet.

futureman
    Participant

FYI buildings along Holly Ave are being demolished. A couple of excavators are at the site now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO