Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

West Coast/East Coast and in between transplants

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion West Coast/East Coast and in between transplants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

Are you originally from Ohio, lived in another state for a long period of time, then came back to Ohio? Or are you from another State or Country and then came to Ohio? Maybe it was for work, school, or for family?

Well congrats, your a “transplant” (so what, right?). If your like me, you’ve been asked this (annoying) question.. ” Why did you come back/to (city)/or Ohio?” Then they stair at you like your stupid for coming (back).

The other night I asked my self, “why wouldn’t you want to come to (Columbus) Ohio?” I personally came back because I could never imagine raising a family in California, plus unemployment was 12%+. Yes, a city such as Columbus has it’s short falls, but over all it’s a great place to raise kids, for a career, college sports, etc!

So I ask you transplants/people who just want to comment, why come to (Columbus) Ohio? How long have you lived in Ohio? When did you move? Feel free to share your story!

catnfiddle
    Participant

I originally came here, sappy as it may seem, for love. Rockmastermike was still in grad school and I had finished my teaching certification program, so it was clear that either we’d have to have a long-distance marriage or I would leave Philadelphia for here. That was over five years ago. It took me a couple of years to truly get my bearings (and I still miss living two blocks from a train station), but I don’t have any urge to move back to the east coast.

maveric1
    Participant

Came here to attend OSU from New Jersey. Fell in love with the city and stayed. Love the big city feel but small town charm. Also felt this city has a very youthful energy to it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 wrote >>
    Are you originally from Ohio, lived in another state for a long period of time, then came back to Ohio? Or are you from another State or Country and then came to Ohio?

Well congrats, your a “transplant”.

Just a very minor nit-pick, but I’ve always heard “transplant” as a term for people who just moved here from elsewhere. If you originally lived here, left for awhile, and then came back, I believe you’re called a “Boomeranger”. ;)

Very interesting topic though, and excited to hear people’s responses.

I was actually born in Indiana, but my family moved to Central Ohio when I was really young, and then I spent a very short amount of time living outside the state when I was 19-20-ish. So with 85% of my life spent in Central Ohio, and practically all of my adult life, I mostly consider myself a native. ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

Nobody asked me “Why would you move back here?” when I moved back to town early last year after living in various other cities since 1999. Most folks I know here are either from Pickaway County (where they take a lot of pride in the Central Ohio area) or moved here from other places by choice before I returned. The Cincinnatians I left understood why I moved back here(to start a business), don’t mind Columbus and like people who are from here but were still kind of like, “Back to Columbus, eh? ZZZZ.”

ehill27
    Participant

Came here from NJ for school. I knew nothing of Columbus and had no expectations to stay. However, I quickly grew fond of the place. Low cost of living, no traffic, a good music scene (touring + local) and generally plenty to do. In fact, it’s my opinion that C-Bus has a great cost-of-living-to-amenities-ratio, probably one of the best in the nation.

Now if we can just improve local and regional transit, the place would be perfect.

(…that, tropical weather and an ocean) ;)

bjones7
    Participant

Walker, no no your right, I am a “Boomeranger”. However, as you might of read( or been confused about it), I was talking about “Transplants” also(People who came here from another State/Country). If you would allow me to edit my post, I’ll change that ;) .

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 wrote >>
    Walker, no no your right, I am a “Boomeranger”. However, as you might of read( or been confused about it), I was talking about “Transplants” also(People who came here from another State/Country). If you would allow me to edit my post, I’ll change that ;) .

Oh, no worries. I think it’s a valid topic for both kinds of people who are moving into Columbus. ;)

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

I moved here from Olympia, WA, for a job. The Midwest is quite a bit different from the Pacific Northwest, so there was a period of adjustment on my part. Being a bit of a recluse, I tended to stay in and I disliked Columbus just because it wasn’t Olympia or Seattle or Portland, without really getting out there and experiencing what it was. A few years after I coming here, I moved down to the Short North with a roommate and found myself actually going out to eat and drink, visiting museums and galleries, and going to Blue Jackets and Clippers games. Columbus did have a lot to offer and it was not only affordable, but accessible and fun. I’ve since pretty much fallen in love with this city, especially the food scene—Columbus offers a lot of good food served up by some really great people.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Moved from Berlin Germany when I was around a year old. My Father was recruited by OSU for a professor position.

thepiece
    Participant

I really enjoy reading these stories, Columbus seems to have a lot of people who migrated here for one reason or another.
    I moved here for grad school after growing up in Hamilton and Cincinnati, so not another state, but sometimes I feel like growing up in Cincinnati is more akin to being from Kentucky.
    I moved away for a few years, lived in northern Michigan and in Maine but ended up coming back and have been here since. I found I missed the quality of life I had here, compared to what I could afford in other places.

I also went through that transition period when I first came here for school, I really disliked it at first but it grew on me. For the past six or seven years I have also traveled all over the country for work, and that’s helped me get some perspective. I love other cities, San Fran, Seattle, Austin, Boston, New Orleans, but I always feeling that those are great places to visit but I prefer living in Columbus.

Now I think the strongest attraction to Columbus is the quality of life (for the price), interesting neighborhoods, and the strong network of friends I have, something that seems daunting to try and rebuild in another place now that my wife and I are in our mid 30’s.

There are some things I wish we had (mountains, some big water, more temperate summers), but those are unrealistic pipe dreams.

jgambacu
    Participant

I moved here this summer from New York state for grad school and work. I do miss the east coast, but I’m happy here in Columbus.

sperk101
    Participant

I was born and raised in North Central Pennsylvania and went to a small college in Harrisburg. It was too small, worse than high school. I started looking at other colleges, big ones that I could “get lost” in. Penn State was too close to home, so I applied to Ohio State.

I was accepted in 1999, but had no preconceived notion of what Columbus was like. Once I moved to Columbus, nearly 8 hours away from home and not knowing a soul, I found it to be never ending.

There was always something to explore: Taking the CITY BUS from campus to City Center blew my mind at the time.

New people to meet: My dormmate was a different race than me, becoming my first of many black friends. Also for the first time, I dated a guy who had a different religion than mine and learned about other cultures.

A plethora of activities to attend: I was overwhelmed after my first football game in the Shoe, staying in my seat alone until nearly the whole stadium was empty. I also visited nearly every music venue in town, becoming a groupie to the then unknown band O.A.R.

When I was nearing graduation, I started looking for jobs in PA because “Pennsylvania was home and Ohio was just school”. I got an internship downtown that turned into a job and started seeing that there was more to Columbus than campus. Then I moved to a small apartment in Grandview, and low and behold another gem!

My 4 years of school were focus mainly on campus, but looking back, OSU is a micro-environment of Columbus as a whole. I’ve stayed in Columbus because I started to appreciate the diversity, corporate opportunities, cultural richness, and the amazing attractions and entertainment options.

I consider Columbus home now, and am very grateful for all the experiences this town has offered me.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I moved here from a rural area in NE Ohio to go to college at OSU. I loved it. I also used to just get on a COTA bus and ride it all over to see where it would go and what I would find. I found and fell in love with my dear husband and we found a beautiful house and started a family. We also have met so many wonderful people here that I think it would be had to ever leave. We love this city.

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

My great grandmother left Gurnsey County for Washington D.C. when she was a young girl. I always thought it was kinda neat that I came back to the state my ancestors were from, even if it was just a coincidence (It was a work-related move; I have no family in the state). I’ve lived in D.C., Virginia, Illinois, and finally Akron before moving to Columbus to go to OSU because of their reputable Japanese program. I liked the size (big enough to have diversity and culture, small enough to lack all the inconveniences of a large metropolis) and vibe of the town so much that I decided not to leave, even though I have no permanent roots or family here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE