Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

West Arena District Expansion - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development West Arena District Expansion – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:
    I don’t know what a dink is, but I am a YP with a child and 5 figures worth of student loans, and I rent this place for about 1 dollar a sqf downtown. It is a luxury unit with hw floors, granite, and all the other extra bullshit. 1 dollar per sqf is very reasonable imo.

In all honesty I believe your definition of a YP and mine are probably different. A YP imo is just that, a young professional. Professionals are lawyers, accountants, engineers, finance professionals, software developers, doctors, etc.

Dual Income, No Kids

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    I always thought that power plant would make a cool restaurant/retail location, sort of like the Power Plant in Baltimore.

That would be sweet! Then we could open up the banks take out the trees and put a park on the river bank. The empty space right after you get off 670 coming from the west could be where they put the kayak and bike rentals in talks…

lifeontwowheels said:
    Dual Income, No Kids

Again, we have 2 kids, single income, and can easily afford a place downtown with plenty of money left over for savings. This as I said before is in a pretty luxurious place. If you really cannot afford to live downtown you probably need to reevaluate your career choices. Downtown was much cheaper than anywhere else we looked when we moved here 3 months ago. We checked everywhere from grandview to UA, to Victorian Village, to German Village, Short North, and Italian Village. Not only is it the cheapest, but when you are able to only have 1 car because I can walk to work, it makes it even cheaper.

The most overpriced are imo, was the Arena District. Tbe places were not even that nice, and the rents seemed expensive.

that’s my point everyone thinks that downtown is expensive – don’t get it. Try living at Polaris and working downtown now that’s expensive!. E Towne street has some amazing apartments that are reasonable near Topiary Park and Olde Towne has good values for the size/location/quality proposition as well. Even Victorian Village and German Village does have some affordable options if you take the time to investigate!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast said:
    that’s my point everyone thinks that downtown is expensive – don’t get it. Try living at Polaris and working downtown now that’s expensive!. E Towne street has some amazing apartments that are reasonable near Topiary Park and Olde Towne has good values for the size/location/quality proposition as well. Even Victorian Village and German Village does have some affordable options if you take the time to investigate!

My question was never about what’s there now, I’m looking at what’s stopping new development from being built at a wider variety of price points to be more inclusive. Town St. is awesome, I’ve looked there myself and there are some great deals. I just fail to see why all the affordable options have to be on the periphery of downtown.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Me and the family went to the Scioto Mile and my mom was complaining about the water bill and capital investment projects. I tried to explain to her this: Companies don’t want to be located in a crappy looking city. If you improve your city and make it appealing then you have a better chance to attract new business. You have to spend money to make money… Then my aunt did the same thing…. HAHAH

futureman
    Participant

Nationwide Realty going west in Arena District with FBI-anchored offices
    Premium content from Business First – by Brian R. Ball
    Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 6:00am EDT – Last Modified: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 4:31pm EDT

The FBI is closing in on the Arena District.

The law enforcement agency has agreed to anchor the Columbus neighborhood’s latest addition – a three-story office building that will go up across from Huntington Park, extending Arena District developer Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd.’s push west of Neil Avenue.

“It was originally designed as a speculative building,” said Nationwide Realty spokeswoman Tina Guegold, “but the (FBI) has come in as the anchor.”

Nationwide Realty will seek approval for the $10 million project at 425 W. Nationwide Blvd. from the city’s Downtown Commission on Aug. 23.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/08/19/nationwide-realty-going-west-in-arena.html

surber17
    Participant

So this is another building other than the larger ones talked about a couple months ago?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    So this is another building other than the larger ones talked about a couple months ago?

Yes. The Columbia Gas building is going in at the NE corner of Neil & Nationwide.

This address (425 W. Nationwide Blvd.) is at Fletcher & Nationwide. Basically across the street from Buggyworks.

surber17
    Participant

Just looked up where this is going, this is going to be great! Hopefully this will jumpstart Buggyworks again.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The rendering looks a little “suburban office park” to me. Hopefully there’s plans for some ground floor retail in there? Or would that be a security risk for the FBI? :P

dru
    Participant

it’s hard to tell from the description where this is going. the article states across from Huntington Park. but the address is 425, which is the old Standard Parking building between Hanover and Fletcher, across from the Buggyworks. the graphic seems like the latter, except the train trestle looks too distant.

if it is the latter, I think the FBI guys will blend in at Thong Thursday Happy Hour at Betty’s Bar next door.

futureman
    Participant

Yes, this is a previously unannounced building. Also, in the article it states the first floor is going to be retail or offices.

“Its commitment will leave 6,300 square feet for retail or office tenants on the ground floor.”

FYI – Here is the location I think: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214764306809774195280.0004aadc093fc336d3a94&msa=0&ll=39.967545,-83.011231&spn=0.003223,0.006968 (according to the graphic in the print edition)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Betty’s Bar is going to start looking like the house in Pixar’s UP. ;)

dru
    Participant

futureman said:
    Yes, this is a previously unannounced building. Also, in the article it states the first floor is going to be retail.

FYI – Here is the location I think: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214764306809774195280.0004aadc093fc336d3a94&msa=0&ll=39.967545,-83.011231&spn=0.003223,0.006968

i think it is one block west of the area you have shaded, between Hanover and Fletcher, which is currently an old warehouse. the area you have shaded is a renovated office building with office tenants and a pilates studio.

oh, and Google needs to update their satellite images of the Arena area.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: