Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obesity in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Obesity in Ohio

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

Smokers are much more readily accepted than fat people are in this society.

Also, you can put down a cigarette and never pick one up again. Not so with food. Because of this, food addictions are MUCH more difficult to overcome.

That’s a strange dichotomy in my estimation.

McFly
    Participant

You can be fat and healthy, and you can be thin and unhealthy. BMI, weight, etc. doesn’t mean anything.

Sorry, but that’s simply not true. Weight has been clinically tied to overall health over and over again.

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>L.I. to Buckeye wrote:</div>
    You can be fat and healthy, and you can be thin and unhealthy. BMI, weight, etc. doesn’t mean anything.

Sorry, but that’s simply not true. Weight has been clinically tied to overall health over and over again.

You’re a doctor?

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>McFly wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>L.I. to Buckeye wrote:</div><br>

You’re a doctor?

Dunno who they are, but they’re right.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks

Overweight and Obesity-Related Health Problems in Adults

• Coronary Heart Disease
    • High Blood Pressure
    • Stroke
    • Type 2 Diabetes
    • Abnormal Blood Fats
    • Metabolic Syndrome
    • Cancer
    • Osteoarthritis
    • Sleep Apnea
    • Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome
    • Reproductive Problems
    • Gallstones

You can claim that the obese are beautiful people too or whatever, claim that it’s all genetics, blame everything except the person holding the fork, but you don’t get to deny that being fat is unhealthy.

Just like an alcoholic can’t claim that their drinking isn’t a problem, to continue the disease model of addiction.

Food addictions are more complex, but many people with them do have success in overcoming them by eliminating foods that spike blood sugars ( wheat and sugar predominantly ). There’s the same mental process involved with other addictions: using external things to attempt to regulate emotions.

I will take issue with the BMI as a measurement. Height / weight charts aren’t very accurate if you have anything other than a sedentary lifestyle but gained acceptance because it’s easy data to gather. Estimates of body fat percentages are more accurate, depending on the method.

McFly
    Participant

You’re a doctor?

I’m a bit flabbergasted that you would think that someone has to be a doctor in order to know this.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE