Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obesity in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Obesity in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

nexttuesday
    Participant

It is depressing. I look at overweight adults and just think they are people who make poor choices, but the rate of childhood obesity is something else. They don’t just model themselves after what their parents eat and do, they have to eat what they are given. I can’t imagine letting my kid eat things that are bad for them on more than a very infrequent basis. I complain about being a deprived child, but my parents didn’t let me drink soda very often and I only got McDonald’s about twice a year. I appreciate that they didn’t raise me with terrible dietary habits.

I have a lot of conflicting ideas about how weight is addressed in our society today. We idolize and glamorize anorexic-looking models and celebrities, but then condone obesity in many areas of life. I don’t think businesses should be forced to accommodate obese people. I also don’t think women who are a size 16 should be shamed into thinking they have to starve themselves. There’s a vast range of body sizes that are healthy, but I think outside of that healthy range we SHOULD be shunning people, because shame is a good motivator. I limit all this by saying I realize having a low income keeps people from accessing healthier food. When I look at some people I know though, who have high incomes and just enjoy eating too much of everything, they are clearly not victims of circumstance.

duncanfj
    Participant

It is depressing. I look at overweight adults and just think they are people who make poor choices, but the rate of childhood obesity is something else. They don’t just model themselves after what their parents eat and do, they have to eat what they are given. I can’t imagine letting my kid eat things that are bad for them on more than a very infrequent basis. I complain about being a deprived child, but my parents didn’t let me drink soda very often and I only got McDonald’s about twice a year. I appreciate that they didn’t raise me with terrible dietary habits.

I have a lot of conflicting ideas about how weight is addressed in our society today. We idolize and glamorize anorexic-looking models and celebrities, but then condone obesity in many areas of life. I don’t think businesses should be forced to accommodate obese people. I also don’t think women who are a size 16 should be shamed into thinking they have to starve themselves. There’s a vast range of body sizes that are healthy, but I think outside of that healthy range we SHOULD be shunning people, because shame is a good motivator. I limit all this by saying I realize having a low income keeps people from accessing healthier food. When I look at some people I know though, who have high incomes and just enjoy eating too much of everything, they are clearly not victims of circumstance.

Yes, shaming is such a good idea. Let’s take a bunch of people who are probably already dealing with psychological issues about their self image and shame them. That totally won’t make them seek comfort in food, which is why a large number of people are overweight in the first place. They deal with negative emotions by eating. So yeah, because someone doesn’t fit into your idea of healthy, let’s shame them. Instead of maybe doing something that could actually help them, like getting them therapy to deal with their emotions/issues in a more positive way. Where in the hell do you see businesses catering to obese people? You ever have to wonder whether you may have to buy a second seat in an airplane or be removed from a flight because you’re too large? Ever had to ask to be seated at a different place in a restaurant because you can’t fit in the booth? I’ve had friends deal with both. Fun times.

sruckus
    Participant

Where in the hell do you see businesses catering to obese people?

Not to be a dick, but every clothing company these days unless you want to pay more. If you’re actually fit or skinny, finding slimmer clothes is harder. Uniqlo (from Japan) is even increasing their representations of sizes to accommodate Americans.

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

It is depressing. I look at overweight adults and just think they are people who make poor choices… I think outside of that healthy range we SHOULD be shunning people, because shame is a good motivator.

Wow. Just wow.

You really have no clue about eating disorders or disordered eating, do you?

Whether you care to believe it or not, eating disorders (including binge eating disorder) are diseases. Sure, shunning someone with an illness is SUCH a great motivator!

And how is someone else’s body size ANY of your concern, anyway?

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

Where in the hell do you see businesses catering to obese people?

Not to be a dick, but every clothing company these days unless you want to pay more. If you’re actually fit or skinny, finding slimmer clothes is harder. Uniqlo (from Japan) is even increasing their representations of sizes to accommodate Americans.

Seriously? That’s ridiculous. At what company do you have to pay MORE for smaller clothes?

I wear a smaller women’s size and I’ve never had to pay extra. I do see some women’s catalogs that charge more for “plus sized” women’s clothes, not the other way around.

And so what? Why wouldn’t a company want to cater to their customers? It’s not like they’re getting rid of smaller sizes! I have no issue with “vanity sizing.” All I have to do is buy a size smaller than I used to. No biggie.

sruckus
    Participant

No offense, but are you a girl? If so it’s totally different for guys and guys sizes that it’s not even worth bringing up. We could go into long social and political discussions about why that is, but woman’s sizing and the industry for it is different. Most guys clothes are constructed for the average American guy with a bigger waist size and so for slimmer or athletic figures the fit isn’t as good or looks baggy. Places actually making clothes that fit slimmer charge more (J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc.). H&M is one exception, but sometimes too slim.

nexttuesday
    Participant

Obesity isn’t always caused by depression or an eating disorder. My “idea of healthy” isn’t something I made up, it’s based on the prevailing opinions of today’s medical community. And as I said, there is a wide range of body sizes that fall into healthy. Having to buy two airplane seats doesn’t fall into that range. That’s what I mean by businesses catering to obese people. Selling two seats, every seat and product that is made to fit a person getting bigger and bigger, giant portions of food at every restaurant, etc.

I believe that telling someone their BMI is too high and they have to pay more for health insurance, or a similar message, is sometimes the wake-up call that people need. For others, yes, maybe it would make them feel worse and eat more. I’m not saying that shame works on everyone, but it does work for many humans, not just when it comes to weight.

Why is it my concern? Idk, why do I care about cancer research or shelter animals? They are societal problems. That’s why this thread exists.

duncanfj
    Participant

No offense, but are you a girl? If so it’s totally different for guys and guys sizes that it’s not even worth bringing up. We could go into long social and political discussions about why that is, but woman’s sizing and the industry for it is different. Most guys clothes are constructed for the average American guy with a bigger waist size and so for slimmer or athletic figures the fit isn’t as good or looks baggy. Places actually making clothes that fit slimmer charge more (J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc.). H&M is one exception, but sometimes too slim.

You do see where she says “I wear a smaller women’s size”, right?

duncanfj
    Participant

Obesity isn’t always caused by depression or an eating disorder. My “idea of healthy” isn’t something I made up, it’s based on the prevailing opinions of today’s medical community. And as I said, there is a wide range of body sizes that fall into healthy. Having to buy two airplane seats doesn’t fall into that range. That’s what I mean by businesses catering to obese people. Selling two seats, every seat and product that is made to fit a person getting bigger and bigger, giant portions of food at every restaurant, etc.

I believe that telling someone their BMI is too high and they have to pay more for health insurance, or a similar message, is sometimes the wake-up call that people need. For others, yes, maybe it would make them feel worse and eat more. I’m not saying that shame works on everyone, but it does work for many humans, not just when it comes to weight.

Why is it my concern? Idk, why do I care about cancer research or shelter animals? They are societal problems. That’s why this thread exists.

So wait, making someone buy two of something is catering to them?

I think perhaps you should do some more research before commenting further. Shame does not work for changing behavior. A large part of the medical community will tell you that BMI tells you next to nothing about the health of a person. BMI was invented by the insurance industry, not medical doctors. The “prevailing opinions” of the medical community…are just that. Opinions. We do not understand the human body well enough to know why some people can eat the exact same diet as others and become obese while others are thin. And no, it isn’t due to exercise differences.

It is good that you care. But maybe you should think more, or do some research, or use some empathy. Would you want someone you don’t know coming up to you and shame you for something they feel you should change?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Doesn’t help that there is a fast food joint around every corner.

McFly
    Participant

Would you want someone you don’t know coming up to you and shame you for something they feel you should change?

You act as though it’s some great mystery regarding whether or not someone is obese and should change their ways. As others have said, there are a very wide range of healthy body types – many of those are on the heavy side. The problem, though, is that over a third of the US population is obese… not just overweight.

(But, of course stores are going to cater to larger people, since overweight and obese customers make up 2/3 of the entire population, now.)

The “every size is beautiful” approach to this problem is clearly not working.

nexttuesday
    Participant

I’m not talking about randomly walking up to fat people on the street and making fun of them. I don’t need to research that being obese is unhealthy. That’s blatantly obvious and the entire reason it’s being measured and studied.

Two people can eat the same thing and exercise the same and have different outcomes. There are medical conditions that contribute to obesity. None of that explains the obese people who eat 4,000 calories a day of food high in saturated fat, don’t exercise, and then want to blame their obesity on being big-boned or some other bullshit. I have empathy for people with thyroid problems or metabolic disorders. I don’t have empathy for lazy gluttons, and I can have an opinion on them if I want. Lots of people are addicted to cigarettes and I think they are idiots. Not going to be worried about empathizing with their habits. For the record, I don’t say anything to obese people. I don’t stare at them or laugh. My internal monologue isn’t hurting their feelings.

duncanfj
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>duncanfj wrote:</div>
    Would you want someone you don’t know coming up to you and shame you for something they feel you should change?

You act as though it’s some great mystery regarding whether or not someone is obese and should change their ways. As others have said, there are a very wide range of healthy body types – many of those are on the heavy side. The problem, though, is that over a third of the US population is obese… not just overweight.

You seem to have missed part of the point. Obese, as currently defined, does not take into account body type. Which is part of the problem. We do not currently have a good, scientifically backed way to easily define what body type is healthy. The default currently is if you’re bigger than I think you should be, you’re unhealthy. And yes, I do know there are large people who are obviously unhealthy, but 2/3 of the population? Really?
    (But, of course stores are going to cater to larger people, since overweight and obese customers make up 2/3 of the entire population, now.)

The “every size is beautiful” approach to this problem is clearly not working.

duncanfj
    Participant

I’m not talking about randomly walking up to fat people on the street and making fun of them. I don’t need to research that being obese is unhealthy. That’s blatantly obvious and the entire reason it’s being measured and studied.

Two people can eat the same thing and exercise the same and have different outcomes. There are medical conditions that contribute to obesity. None of that explains the obese people who eat 4,000 calories a day of food high in saturated fat, don’t exercise, and then want to blame their obesity on being big-boned or some other bullshit. I have empathy for people with thyroid problems or metabolic disorders. I don’t have empathy for lazy gluttons, and I can have an opinion on them if I want. Lots of people are addicted to cigarettes and I think they are idiots. Not going to be worried about empathizing with their habits. For the record, I don’t say anything to obese people. I don’t stare at them or laugh. My internal monologue isn’t hurting their feelings.

You do realize that once you have posted something to a public message board it is no longer an internal monologue, right? You are essentially saying that to anyone who may read this, and it is quite possible that what you have posted has caused someone pain. Welcome to the digital age. Habits are different from coping mechanisms. Saturated fat is not the cause of people being fat, as has been proved time and again. Once again, perhaps you should do more research or pause and think before posting.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE