Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obesity in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Obesity in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Report: Ohio now among 10 fattest states

Quote:
    Ohio is the 10th fattest state, joining the ranks of mostly southern states in an annual report by the nonprofit Trust for America’s Health. It ranked 17th last year.

The group ranked Ohio 15th for overweight young people.

Ohio’s adult obesity rate is 28.6 percent; the obesity rate for people 10 to 17 years old is 33.3 percent.

Tigertree

I see some needless legislation in the near future.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

FATTIES

chaptal
    Participant

Hot dogs, pizza, tacos, tapas, chicken – and those are the fresh topics here!

Core_Models

Tigertree wrote >>

I’m not sure its needless, if people want to regulate and tax the hell out of my smoking because its a burden on the healthcare system…I’m just fine with socking it to the people cramming Duncan Hines products in their face 24/7.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

HERE HERE

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

Who’s joinin’ us fat boi’s for Dirty Franks tonight?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

I’m not sure its needless, if people want to regulate and tax the hell out of my smoking because its a burden on the healthcare system…I’m just fine with socking it to the people cramming Duncan Hines products in their face 24/7.

See ya in the sewers for a rat burger…

Hael

rus wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

See ya in the sewers for a rat burger…

Haha!

I agree with Core. Only problem is that (and I’m guessing here) obesity is more common among the poor due to the cost of eating healthy becoming increasingly prohibitive. Starchy, sugary, no fiber havin’ processed foods are much more affordable than fresh fruit, veggies and ribeye steak. I guess it’s ironic. Poor folks are the ones getting fat (for the most part – I have no data to back it up, just a hunch)

Another guess: healthcare cost impact of obesity is high and going to get worse. Also, do kids go outside and play anymore or is it just too damn fun to play Madden vs playing old fashioned tackle back yard football?

“Let them eat cake”

joev
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

Or those Little Debbie Zebra Cakes. They taste more of tallow than zebras, if you ask me. We could burn them as candles if we needed to.

Honestly, I think there’s an unfortunate shift from the brief moment in American history when it was cool to eat healthy foods. These days, anywhere you go, someone mentions bacon or fries or bacon stuffed with sausage and cheese and everyone goes “gaaaaahh.” There is a sharp difference between a gourmand and a glutton.

Of course, the agribusiness system is set up against someone who wants to eat healthily. Processed food is easier and cheaper. And we keep getting fatter.

I don’t think some forms of legislation on this is harmful or unwarranted or intrusive. I see no problem in banning transfats and high fructose corn syrup. Those two products are just crutches for the food industry. And they fuck with our brains and bodies and contribute to our national fatness. But I think legislation that empowers farmers and food processors to provide more nutritious, less calorie-dense food would be a better track to take.

Tigertree

How about the parents read the backs of boxes again and make a connection between what they are putting in their kids mouth and the husky section?
    As for cheaper, my wife and I at dinner two nights ago, breakfast today, lunch and dinner yesterday and breakfast today on 5 bucks of chicken. A few vegetables from our garden, some eggs from her folks and a handful of pasta were thrown in at different times.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

There is an industry providing aids to obese people, like oversized toilet seats, and wands to hold paper when you can’t reach around to wipe your ass.

chaptal
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    There is an industry providing aids to obese people, like oversized toilet seats, and wands to hold paper when you can’t reach around to wipe your ass.

and here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Buddy-Toilet-Tissue-Holder/dp/B0006TSMLE/ref=pd_sim_dbs_hpc?ie=UTF8&qid=1195493186&sr=1-9

it does have other uses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

10th fattest state is an improvement, though right? Weren’t we up to number two or three not to long ago? Or maybe I’m thinking about Columbus being one of the fattest cities?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

When I go out to a mall or the movies I’m sort of shocked we’re only number 10 to be honest. And that’s not even going to somewhere like the fair… or marysville. (/jab)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE