Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obamacare / Healthcare Reform - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Obamacare / Healthcare Reform – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 1,426 total)
  • Author

Schoolboy
    Participant

News said:
    OP/ED | 12/30/2013 @ 12:28PM
    Health Insurers Are Being Battered By Obamacare, And They Deserve It
    Merrill Matthews, Contributor

Headline after headline proclaims that President Obama’s, shall we say, “flexibility” with respect to provisions in his own health care law is creating turmoil among health insurers, as they try to provide Obamacare-qualified coverage that has become at best a moving target. Well, health insurers deserve every bit of the confusion, uncertainty and potential financial losses they get.

READ MORE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2013/12/30/health-insurers-are-being-battered-by-obamacare-and-they-deserve-it/

Finally a pro Obamacare article I can 100% agree with.

Graybeak
    Participant

Alison and Nick do not have health care coverage. A shame. If they had, they wouldn’t need this fundraiser.

So, go to their fundraiser at the Treebar. CU Thread.

myliftkk
    Participant

myliftkk
    Participant

The percentage of uninsured Americans fell from 17.3 percent in December to 16.1 percent in January, Gallup found. Among different subsets, the biggest drop was among the unemployed: 6.7 percent.

As the Associated Press reported, the falling uninsured rate would correspond with two to three million people becoming insured. The Obama administration has reported that 2.2 million people had signed up for private coverage through the health care reform law as of Dec. 28. More than 6 million people have also been enrolled in Medicaid since October, and among those, people covered by the program’s expansion under Obamacare would have had their coverage start on Jan. 1

[url=http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obamacare-gallup-poll-uninsured]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obamacare-gallup-poll-uninsured[/url]

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://nypost.com/2014/01/23/obamacares-ugly-progress/

For starters, it’s falling far short of the goal of universal coverage. The White House admits that only about 2.2 million people have signed up for health insurance through the program so far — but even that number’s padded: It includes all who’ve “picked” a health plan, even if they haven’t yet paid for it, sort of like Amazon counting every item a shopper puts in their “cart” as a sale. So far, just 1.5 million have actually completed the ObamaCare checkout, including payment. Worse, surveys indicate that less than a third of those enrolling were previously uninsured.

Another 3.9 million people have been enrolled in Medicaid, though it is not clear how much of that’s a direct result of ObamaCare’s expansion of the program.

Even using the most optimistic reading of these figures, fewer than 11 percent of uninsured Americans have gotten coverage because of the ObamaCare law; most likely, fewer. This is what we’re getting for the $2.7 trillion that ObamaCare will cost over the next 10 years?

Plus, we should subtract the roughly 500,000 Americans who, by the White House’s own count, have lost insurance because of ObamaCare. They’re some of the 5 million to 10 million Americans whose plans got canceled because they didn’t meet ObamaCare standards (despite the president’s promises that “you’ll be able to keep your health-care plan, period”). Most of these victims ultimately found new plans, though they might have been more expensive or no longer included their current doctor.

Yet that’s just the tip of the iceberg, because those policy-killing rules will hit another part of the market over the course of this year — namely, the “small group” market, where employers now buy health policies that cover about 78 million Americans. Many of those with cancelled plans will ultimately end up with similar, if more expensive, employment-based policies, but some are likely to simply wind up uninsured.

Universal coverage? I think not.

asil
    Participant

I’ve been avoiding this board, waiting to share our full Obamacare experience but we’re over three months into a kaleidoscope of epic healthcare clustfuckery that doesn’t look like it’ll be resolved anytime soon.

In the meantime I wanted to share a general PSA. If you successfully signed up for a marketplace plan and selected Caresource Just4Me you might want to give your doctors a call to make sure they’ll accept your insurance. Don’t trust the list of providers on the Caresource website, it’s not current.

I found this out the hard way this week when my Obstetrician refused to see me (even though she was and is still listed on the Caresource provider list we so carefully consulted before signing up). None of the (thousands of) providers in the OhioHealth network will accept this insurance. This means the OhioHealth Physicians Group, anyone affiliated with Riverside, Grant or Doctors Hospitals (and more but those are the main ones locally).

I am 6 months pregnant.

I cannot be seen by my doctor of 20 years, who delivered my first two children.
    I cannot deliver at Riverside.
    I cannot pay her out of pocket while I’m insured because it will constitute insurance fraud.

My choices now are:
    #1 – Go rogue, dropping myself out of my family’s plan and paying my beloved and trusted doctor out of pocket what will amount to about $10,000 if this pregnancy goes as planned, several times that if it doesn’t.
    #2 – Stick with our insurance and (join the thousands of women likely finding themselves in a similar situation right about now) attempt to find a new doctor that will take our insurance, is accepting new patients and can actually see me before my May due date.
    #3 – Cancel our insurance and select a new plan from the Marketplace that my doctor will accept, paying thousands more in premiums and deductible in the process. When we initially selected our plan the other options carried premiums several hundred dollars a month higher and deductibles over twice as high. We have a gold level plan. We’re paying about $900/month for a family of 4, we don’t currently benefit from federal subsidies (even though we qualify for them which is an entirely different, excruciatingly frustrating issue).
    #4 – Go old school (or is this new school now?) and deliver in a baby pool in our living room with a midwife. Which, while I appreciate that this can be beautiful and is totally the way to go for a lot of women, is just not my thing.

joev
    Participant

asil said:
    I’ve been avoiding this board, waiting to share our full Obamacare experience but we’re over three months into a kaleidoscope of epic healthcare clustfuckery that doesn’t look like it’ll be resolved anytime soon.

In the meantime I wanted to share a general PSA. If you successfully signed up for a marketplace plan and selected Caresource Just4Me you might want to give your doctors a call to make sure they’ll accept your insurance. Don’t trust the list of providers on the Caresource website, it’s not current.

I found this out the hard way this week when my Obstetrician refused to see me (even though she was and is still listed on the Caresource provider list we so carefully consulted before signing up). None of the (thousands of) providers in the OhioHealth network will accept this insurance. This means the OhioHealth Physicians Group, anyone affiliated with Riverside, Grant or Doctors Hospitals (and more but those are the main ones locally).

I am 6 months pregnant.

I cannot pay her out of pocket while I’m insured because it will constitute insurance fraud.

My choices now are:
    #1 – Go rogue, dropping myself out of my family’s plan and paying my beloved and trusted doctor out of pocket what will amount to about $10,000 if this pregnancy goes as planned, several times that if it doesn’t.
    #2 – Stick with our insurance and (join the thousands of women likely finding themselves in a similar situation right about now) attempt to find a new doctor that will take our insurance, is accepting new patients and can actually see me before my May due date.
    #3 – Cancel our insurance and select a new plan from the Marketplace that my doctor will accept, paying thousands more in premiums and deductible in the process. When we initially selected our plan the other options carried premiums several hundred dollars a month higher and deductibles over twice as high. We have a gold level plan. We’re paying about $900/month for a family of 4, we don’t currently benefit from federal subsidies (even though we qualify for them which is an entirely different, excruciatingly frustrating issue).
    #4 – Go old school (or is this new school now?) and deliver in a baby pool in our living room with a midwife. Which, while I appreciate that this can be beautiful and is totally the way to go for a lot of women, is just not my thing.

Columbus Neighborhood Health Centers accept CareSource insurance.

rus
    rus
    Participant

asil said:

I am 6 months pregnant.

My choices now are:

Damn.

Very sorry you’re going through this.

Roland
    Participant

asil said:

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Our family is also in the situation where we acquire health insurance on our own. The past few months for us have been riddled with confusion as we have rolled into 2014 ACA compliant programs.

If it helps any in your search, we’ve found good acceptance of Medical Mutual insurance plans. You mentioned Riverside Hospital specifically. They do accept Med Mutual.

Healthcare.gov is still weird, we were never able to actually complete anything through that site. We found the same plan on ehealthinsurance for less money and enrollment. Isn’t it supposed to be the same price? Oh well. We are re-enrolling into different ACA plans for the next quarter.

Anyways, In your position I would probably go with option 3 and changes plans so you can go to the doctors you want and have the delivery where you want. Maybe call your doctors office directly and ask them what insurance companies they work with.

Good luck!

asil
    Participant

Roland said:

If it helps any in your search, we’ve found good acceptance of Medical Mutual insurance plans. You mentioned Riverside Hospital specifically. They do accept Med Mutual.

Healthcare.gov is still weird, we were never able to actually complete anything through that site. We found the same plan on ehealthinsurance for less money and enrollment. Isn’t it supposed to be the same price? Oh well. We are re-enrolling into different ACA plans for the next quarter.

Anyways, In your position I would probably go with option 3 and changes plans so you can go to the doctors you want and have the delivery where you want. Maybe call your doctors office directly and ask them what insurance companies they work with.

Good luck!

Thanks, Roland. That’s what I’m going to end up doing. It’ll hurt financially for a while but I’m going to have medical bills anyway – they might as well be to someone I like and trust, and I’m so done stressing about this. Med Mutual is accepted by my doctor and is at the top of my list, glad to hear they’ve worked out for your family.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

McFly
    Participant

Obama 2009: “If you like the plan you have, you can keep it. If you like the doctor you have, you can keep your doctor, too. The only change you’ll see are falling costs as our reforms take hold,”

Reality: Many can’t keep their plans, many can’t keep their doctors, many are priced out of the “Affordable” plans, Obama has to keep delaying portions of his own bill for the sake of politics…

I’m so glad healthcare has been “fixed” now.

sirlancelot
    Participant

I am still waiting for a response from the State Of Ohio to my insurance sign-up, via the federal website. This was in January. I received a confirmation (early February) call from the federal site, and they said that my application information was transferred to Ohio and I would be contacted by Ohio. Is this the normal response from Ohio or do I have to call someone? A friend of mine also signed up via the federal website and qualified for Medicaid, and so far, has heard nothing from Ohio’s health insurance exchange. One wonders if Ohio Republicans hope to discourage people from participation through bureaucratic inaction.

asil
    Participant

I am still waiting for a response from the State Of Ohio to my insurance sign-up, via the federal website. This was in January. I received a confirmation (early February) call from the federal site, and they said that my application information was transferred to Ohio and I would be contacted by Ohio. Is this the normal response from Ohio or do I have to call someone? A friend of mine also signed up via the federal website and qualified for Medicaid, and so far, has heard nothing from Ohio’s health insurance exchange. One wonders if Ohio Republicans hope to discourage people from participation through bureaucratic inaction.

Are you sure that you and your friend qualify for Medicaid? That was a glitch in the federal site for a long time and one of the things that happened to us. We most definitely did not qualify for Medicaid but the site insisted that we “may” qualify. Until we were denied by the state we couldn’t sign up for another plan on the federal site (without opting out of any sort of assistance including the federal subsidies which we did qualify for).

Check your Medicaid eligibility here: http://benefits.ohio.gov/
    If you don’t qualify you may want to remove your pending application from the federal site and start over. The glitch seems to be fixed now.

In my experience there is no way to talk to someone at Medicaid without actually going to their office and sometimes not even then. The numbers provided to call Ohio Medicaid are useless. The 800 number for the state medicaid system will allow you to talk to a person – but they will only be able to see that they have an application from you, not the status. To get the status they will tell you to call your local Medicaid office. The number they give you is to a mailbox that is full. Once you find the correct number you will not be able to talk to anyone – the automated attendant will tell you to call the 800 number. If you do go to the Medicaid office go early – there’s a one page sign in sheet. Once that sign in sheet is full they turn people away. In my experience it was full between 10 and 11 AM.

It took us four months, countless frustrating phone calls to Medicaid and Healthcare.gov and two visits to the Medicaid office at the ODJFS to finally be denied what we knew we didn’t qualify for anyway. Oh – and the denial letter was addressed to my maiden name and informed me my application for food stamps had been denied – so…win?

Good luck.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Are you sure that you and your friend qualify for Medicaid? That was a glitch in the federal site for a long time and one of the things that happened to us. We most definitely did not qualify for Medicaid but the site insisted that we “may” qualify. Until we were denied by the state we couldn’t sign up for another plan on the federal site (without opting out of any sort of assistance including the federal subsidies which we did qualify for).

Check your Medicaid eligibility here: http://benefits.ohio.gov/<br>
    If you don’t qualify you may want to remove your pending application from the federal site and start over. The glitch seems to be fixed now.

In my experience there is no way to talk to someone at Medicaid without actually going to their office and sometimes not even then. The numbers provided to call Ohio Medicaid are useless. The 800 number for the state medicaid system will allow you to talk to a person – but they will only be able to see that they have an application from you, not the status. To get the status they will tell you to call your local Medicaid office. The number they give you is to a mailbox that is full. Once you find the correct number you will not be able to talk to anyone – the automated attendant will tell you to call the 800 number. If you do go to the Medicaid office go early – there’s a one page sign in sheet. Once that sign in sheet is full they turn people away. In my experience it was full between 10 and 11 AM.

It took us four months, countless frustrating phone calls to Medicaid and Healthcare.gov and two visits to the Medicaid office at the ODJFS to finally be denied what we knew we didn’t qualify for anyway. Oh – and the denial letter was addressed to my maiden name and informed me my application for food stamps had been denied – so…win?

Good luck.

Wow. Good luck indeed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,396 through 1,410 (of 1,426 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER