Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obamacare / Healthcare Reform - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Obamacare / Healthcare Reform – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,426 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

This month is the very first impacts from Healthcare reform AKA ‘Obamacare’ take effect.

PART 1:

Today, June 14th, medical reimbursement for medicare gets cut 21.3%

Many doctor’s offices make a smaller profit than 21.3%. For those offices, they will have to turn away the people who need medical care most, the poor and the elderly. Or close completely.

My parents, for example are paying a retainerof about $2,500 to their doctor to cover the decreased medicare payments and remain as one of his patients.

In the end, this means that the better doctors will be available to the rich as more and more doctors add different retainers. And, consequently, poor care will be available to those on government medical insurance.

PART2:

Medical Students are no longer able to obtain ‘hardship deferment’ on their medical school loans. With a government regulated pay cap for residents of $40K – $45K, and 6.5% on an average $250,000 of loans (that are not tax deductible) getting a medical education is getting harder and harder.

Many of our resident friends are going to fall below the poverty level. For the shortest residency it’s a year of poverty, for the longest, it’s 5 years living below the poverty level.

At the same time, residents work about 90- 100 hours a week. So after taxes and student loan interest payments, they will make less than $3.50 an hour. (Yes, that doctor who is trying to save your limb and life, after a car crash, is making half what they could in McDonalds.)

So

The first part, is decreasing the supply of doctors and hence a supply of a limited essential inelastic commodity.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote >>
    This month is the very first impacts from Obamacare take effect.
    PART 1:
    Today, June 14th, medical reimbursement for medicare gets cut 21.3%.

Don’t be a tool and do some fact-checking. Has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. This is part of a long-standing stupidity in the Medicare law.

A.

myliftkk
    Participant

File this under #BLAMEOBAMAFAIL

Tenzo
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    PART 1:

Don’t be a tool and do some fact-checking. Has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. This is part of a long-standing stupidity in the Medicare law.
    A.

After rereading my post, I don’t see anywhere that I blamed Obama.
    Obamacare is not Obama’s, it is a set of laws that have been set in motion or set aside by congress. Both democratic and republican.

No one person is responsible and the best person to change it is the voter by letting his representative know that the changes don’t make sense.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    PART 1:

A.

Obamacare is not Obama’s, it is a set of laws that have been set in motion or set aside by congress. Both democratic and republican.
    No one person is responsible and the best person to change it is the voter by letting his representative know that the changes don’t make sense.

That is utterly retarded. The origin of this problem with Medicare funding dates to 1997, when Obama was a State Senator. It has ZERO connection with any element of current health care reform except as part of the long-running context. More properly this should be care Johnson-care or Repub-care since it was the Republican Congress of ’97 which enacted it.

Be an honorable person and admit you were hornswoggled instead of stretching to fit your biases. Man up.

A.

chaptal
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    PART 1:

A.

If no one person is responsible, why did you put obamacare in the subject line?

jimbach
    Participant

chaptal wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    PART 1:

A.

Because it’s easier to blame Obama for everything.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>

chaptal wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    PART 1:

A.

Because it’s easier to blame Obama for everything.

it’s more funner too, yeeehaww!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

chaptal wrote >>

Just updated.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

how’s the taste of blame game for ya, people? didnt Ds blame Bush for EVERYTHING? Not my president, i say.

Tenzo
    Participant

I see all the changes happening in medical care to be part of the obamacare charge to change things.

In college we studied Reganomics and Reagan was not the writer of the policies.
    Obamacare is bigger than Obama, I believe the whole ‘Obamacare’ is a part of actions and innactions to the congress.

You give me a hard time for tagging congressional actions as Obamacare. I think it would sillier to say that Obama was repsonsible for the Obamacare legislation.

If you think the president is the one who submits and debates bills, you need to study up before we can have a locical disscusion.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote At the same time, residents work about 90- 100 hours a week.

Facts are so annoying and here is another fail. Residency is limited to 80hrs / wk in accredited programs. There are other misleading aspects and errors in there too.

And IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HCR – this aspect of the law was signed by Pres Bush in 2007 as part of education financing reform.

No wonder it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion on this issue when people have ZERO interest in facts.

A.

myliftkk
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

chaptal wrote >>

Just updated.

How ’bout “After 13 years, Republican Healthcare still threatening to screw docs”.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote >>

You give me a hard time for tagging congressional actions as Obamacare. I think it would sillier to say that Obama was repsonsible for the Obamacare legislation.
    If you think the president is the one who submits and debates bills, you need to study up before we can have a locical disscusion.

Except all these things pre-date the Obama presidency by margins of up to 10 yrs. Tying them to Obama in the slightest is just moronic and/or a deliberate disregard for the facts.

A.

myliftkk
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Tenzo wrote At the same time, residents work about 90- 100 hours a week.

Facts are so annoying and here is another fail. Residency is limited to 80hrs / wk in accredited programs. There are other misleading aspects and errors in there too.
    And IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HCR – this aspect of the law was signed by Pres Bush in 2007 as part of education financing reform.
    No wonder it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion on this issue when people have ZERO interest in facts.
    A.

By Tenzo’s logic, that would make that Bushcare, no?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,426 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS