Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The CU Site Updates, Glitches and Maintenance Thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The CU Site Updates, Glitches and Maintenance Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hey! We’re back online!

Huzzah!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Testing, testing… ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Everything is still running pretty slow. Still working through things today.

Thanks for bearing with us, everyone!

bob.os
    Participant

It seems like the message board section is still having issues. Hope it is back up soon.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, plugging away on it.

Functional right now, but slow.

geoyui
    Participant

From an IE only workstation, it’s buggy. I understand though if you don’t care about IE ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

From an IE only workstation, it’s buggy. I understand though if you don’t care about IE ;)

What version? We tested backwards to IE9. 8 and below is barely used anymore.

There’s still bugs and database issues we’re sorting out. Feel free to send any/all bug reports to [email protected] so we can log them and address them.

Thanks!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Looks better than it has.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks better than it has.

Still getting there. Everything that can crash, has crashed today. And even some things that we didn’t think were capable of crashing. ;)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Mannnnn this message board looks good.

My favorite part of the redesign for sure.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Much brighter. I like it!

heresthecasey
    Participant

Overall I like the new redesign but there are a couple usability issues/missing features I’ve noticed so far that have made the site a little more difficult to use overall.

One is that it no longer shows on the main page how many comments a news article has, or has any place that lists recent comments, which will make it pretty much impossible to follow discussions taking place there. Also, the old design had a kind of list of all front page content organized from newest going back, which made it easy to see what stories had been added since your last visit. The new categorized approach kind of spreads these all around, so it’s more difficult to see what’s new overall since everything is so compartmentalized to different sections and columns. I think this approach will probably make it easier to miss things.

On the messageboard, it seems like there’s no longer any difference between how read and unread topics look, which also makes it difficult to see what’s new from when you read things last. Previously unread topics were in bold, and once they were read the titles became faded out (now they seem to be bold all the time). Also, it no longer says in the main forum thread list who the latest reply is by, just the time, which is more ambiguous as to whether or not you’ve already read the topic.

These are just some first thoughts of things that have jumped out at me navigating around. The new logo and branding overall again I really like, and I think are implemented pretty successfully. Just some of these nuts and bolts issues might need to be tweaked for usability. I’m sure it will all get worked out!

ETA: Some fonts are also looking really weird. I’ll try to grab a screencap

roy
    Participant

The messageboard looks beautiful, clean and modern, inviting and fresh. Lots of work I’m sure, thank you Walker and Anne!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback guys. We’re working on a lot of tweaks this week to both design and functionality. Appreciate the help with the fine tuning!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: