Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Weinland Park Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 440 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some new photos from Grant Commons…

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-january-2015

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Weinland Park project rises over neighborhood
    By Nick Roll
    April 13, 2015

Out with the alcohol, and in with the art — at least that’s the thought process behind Weinland Park’s latest community redevelopment project. The Weinland Park Collaborative replaced a billboard Saturday that was formerly adorned with a UV Blue Vodka advertisement. It now sports a community-created mural that will host four different works over the next year, rotating every three months.

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2015/04/weinland-park-project-rises-over-neighborhood/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New Grant Commons photos from this weekend…

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-may-2015-part-1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lots more homes going in at Grant Park…

MORE PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-july-2015-part-1

Nancy H
    Participant

Thanks Walker for the update and photos of the single family homes.

I am not on top of what it is like to live in WP or the transition it is going through. Having lived in Italian Village for 30 years, I can guess. Wagenbrenner and Campus Partners are renovating and building some reasonably price housing there. I just don’t understand why people never recommend it.

Over in the thread “The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW” the thread got a bit derailed by a guy looking for an affordable home to buy, in an urban area, that was not high crime. Nobody suggested WP.

According to Realtor.com, here are the average listing prices for homes for sale in zip code 43201, which contains Weinland Park, all most all of the Short North and the south part of Campus:
    South Campus $259,900
    Italian Village $384,504
    Weinland Park $251,103
    Victorian Village $421,580
    Harrison West $275,788
    Dennison Place $394,350

A newly built 2 bedroom home in Grant Park, with 2-1/2 baths and a 2 car garage starts at $246,699. I consider that an incredible deal for new construction. New construction is energy efficient, and no worries about the furnace dropping dead next year, or the roof leaking the year after.

goldenidea
    Participant

A newly built 2 bedroom home in Grant Park, with 2-1/2 baths and a 2 car garage starts at $246,699. I consider that an incredible deal for new construction. New construction is energy efficient, and no worries about the furnace dropping dead next year, or the roof leaking the year after.

+1 …Great location too: less than 5 minute walk to the emerging 4th St corridor and less than a 10 minute walk to prime stretch of Short North High Street, with places like Bros Drake & The Table along the way, and more retail coming fairly soon at Summit & Fifth.

Miracle
    Participant

On top of all that, these properties are tax abated for 15 years

rory
    Participant

+1 …Great location too: less than 5 minute walk to the emerging 4th St corridor and less than a 10 minute walk to prime stretch of Short North High Street, with places like Bros Drake & The Table along the way, and more retail coming fairly soon at Summit & Fifth.

I’m looking forward to having that walk cut down a little with a coffee shop or nano-brewery at N. 4th and 7th Ave. There’s some prime space there for a budding entrepreneur. ;)

Nancy H
    Participant

I looked seriously at houses in WP last year when I sold our big old fixer-upper after my husband died. They (CP & WagCo) seem to be approaching this broad brushstrokes redevelopment in a thoughtful way. They preserved low income and Section 8 housing. There are plans for senior housing but I am not sure where that stands. There are plenty of fixer-uppers in the area for those people who want to go that route. All in all, the neighborhood has a less gentrified approach to the makeup.

In my eyes, it is the only part of the 43201 zip code that is geared towards people with children. It is one thing to be a single 20-something and want to live in an urban area. Over 30 years I lost track of the number of young people we became friends with, who bought and fixed up an old house in the SN, then moved to the burbs once they had school age children. WP has a nice park and another one is planned (perhaps incorporating Mt Wagenbrenner). But the real plus for families with children is a schools within walking distance. Two more reasonably close by (Hubbard & St Joseph Montessori)

rory
    Participant

I looked seriously at houses in WP last year when I sold our big old fixer-upper after my husband died. They (CP & WagCo) seem to be approaching this broad brushstrokes redevelopment in a thoughtful way. They preserved low income and Section 8 housing. There are plans for senior housing but I am not sure where that stands. There are plenty of fixer-uppers in the area for those people who want to go that route. All in all, the neighborhood has a less gentrified approach to the makeup.

In my eyes, it is the only part of the 43201 zip code that is geared towards people with children. It is one thing to be a single 20-something and want to live in an urban area. Over 30 years I lost track of the number of young people we became friends with, who bought and fixed up an old house in the SN, then moved to the burbs once they had school age children. WP has a nice park and another one is planned (perhaps incorporating Mt Wagenbrenner). But the real plus for families with children is a schools within walking distance. Two more reasonably close by (Hubbard & St Joseph Montessori)

@ Nancy H..

Three good schools. There’s a full court press into making Weinland Park Elementary into the neighborhood’s first choice for the kids. It’s been on everyone’s mind that in order for our grand WP experiment to succeed that people have to stay when it’s time for their kids to go to school. it also seems to be working.

On other news, Mt. Wagenbrenner is gone. It’s time for townhomes or something such and a new park. The senior housing didn’t get funded again for low income tax credits so it’s future is uncertain but probably not to be.

And thanks for noticing our neighborhood diversity. That was the plan of the Weinland Park Collaborative of which Wagenbrenner has been a crucial part. To give where credit is due Community Properties of Ohio redid most of the Section 8 housing, Campus Partners had a hand in the infill housing along with Habitat. Wagenbrenner restored 11th Avenue. I can’t say any of it was particularly easy and I’m not sure I’d do it again but all the meetings, occasional yelling, and worry seem to be slowly paying off.

AMEEKER
    Participant

Less talk, more action, y’all! We want some neighbors on Grant with kids! :-)

Is anyone following this thread actually purchasing a house on Grant, or seriously considering it?

Anyone with kids?

Miracle
    Participant

Wife and I moved in this past weekend! No kids yet :)

bayrea
    Participant

Quick question. My concern with that development isn’t crime but rather the proximity to the train tracks. My girlfriend used to live on Summit by the school and every night we slept with the windows open I was awakened by the screech of train brakes. Drove me crazy.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 440 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE