Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Weinland Park Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 440 total)
  • Author

cbus11

I read about the fire in Rory’s blog. It is sad that the nice ones seem to be the ones that burn. It is right next to an ugly 80’s stucco apartment complex. With everything turning around in that section of WP I hope it gets rehabbed and the stucco eventually gets bulldozed. It would be very expensive to build an all brick house like that these days.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

labi
    Participant

I’ve been reminded by another thread that the repaving/reconfiguration of Fifth Avenue is supposed to happen this summer. Some details about the enhancements on Fifth (and elsewhere in the neighborhood) can be found on the city’s mobility options webpage.[/url]

The entire WP Mobility Plan is there, but there’s also a much-more-summarized presentation pdf just below that. The maps of the solutions start on page 25 of the presentation.

One subsequent change to the plan that I’m aware of is that the “bike boulevard” planned for Courtland/Pearl has been moved to Indianola. I don’t think anything else major has changed.

These are going to be some terrific improvements in the neighborhood, including everything from bike lanes to traffic calming to sidewalk repairs.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Thanks for posting that link to plan. It has some great data on vehicle speeds along summit and N4th streets.

News
    Participant

Making A Difference In Weinland Park
    By: ROBYN HAINES | NBC4
    Published: May 16, 2012

Weinland Park has been called one of Columbus’ most dangerous areas. But in the past couple of years, a few local groups and people have made it their mission to change the reputation of their neighborhood. Evelyn Van Til has lived in Weinland Park since 2001 — but even before then joined the city’s Civic Association.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/16/making-difference-weinland-park-ar-1038474/

buckette13

I just saw the new area they are developing close to Italian Village by 6th and Grant off of 5th Ave. I am looking for an apartment and viewed some super sketchy, run down places on 4th St near 8th Ave and accidentally ended up over in that new corner. It looks so nice! A friend told me that they are going to put apartments over there. Does anyone know how much they will cost and when they will be available?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wagonbrenner is building out a lot of the single family homes first along the edge of that area (former Columbus Coated Fabrics site). I haven’t seen any timeline yet on the apartment or multi-unit buildings. I’m guessing they could be down the road a little ways…

labi
    Participant

Walker’s right about the Wagenbrenner apartments being a longer-term project, but I’d encourage you to continue looking at rental options if you have enough time – WP varies a lot block by block, and you can find some amazing values for your money. The amount you’d spend for a one-bedroom in some neighborhoods can get you a half-double and sometimes even a whole house here. (Of course, I realize different people have different levels of tolerance for run-down-ness…)

AMEEKER
    Participant

@buckette13 We live in one of the new houses on Grant. It’s kind of lovely, though pretty quiet right now since really noone lives around us or comes through – probably a good thing! Part of that big open swath of land will also be a park (so excited about that – it will be literally directly across the street from our house).

AMEEKER
    Participant

Oh and here are some links I found last week on Craigslist for some nice looking redo’s in the area, that are in parts of WP that I would live in.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/3038557627.html $825 – with brick walls and a clawfoot tub even.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/2997394765.html These aren’t AMAZING, but they’e they’ve been recently redone inside – $595

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/2984038534.html I think I heard this has been rented already but worth a call even if it has. The owner might have more. It sits in the middle of some new or rehabbed houses. $650

mrpoppinzs

Saw that a for lease sign is up at the former Bristol Bar, Jeff Mathis’ lease must have finally run out. I hope it ends up being something that will be a draw for the neighborhood. It would be great to have something energize 5th Ave past High St.

Evelyn Van Til
    Participant

labi said:
    I’ve been reminded by another thread that the repaving/reconfiguration of Fifth Avenue is supposed to happen this summer. Some details about the enhancements on Fifth (and elsewhere in the neighborhood) can be found on the city’s mobility options webpage.[/url]

The entire WP Mobility Plan is there, but there’s also a much-more-summarized presentation pdf just below that. The maps of the solutions start on page 25 of the presentation.

One subsequent change to the plan that I’m aware of is that the “bike boulevard” planned for Courtland/Pearl has been moved to Indianola. I don’t think anything else major has changed.

These are going to be some terrific improvements in the neighborhood, including everything from bike lanes to traffic calming to sidewalk repairs.

Update on the proposed bike lanes:

The City’s Mobility Plan for Weinland Park includes putting bike lanes on 4th & Summit St, all the way from Hudson to downtown. Recently we’ve discovered that the City’s request to use ODOT (Ohio Dept. of Transportation) money to implement this may not actually get the funding to do this.

So instead of seeing bike lanes in 2014-2015 when 4th & Summit are scheduled to be resurfaced, it may be much later or not at all.

On Tuesday June 12th at 5:30 PM there will be a meet-and-greet City Council meeting at the Martin Janis Senior Center 600 E. 11th Avenue. Please join us on Tuesday in conveying these concerns to the relevant council members (this is what City Council is for!).

WPCCA will also be sending a letter of support to ODOT for the City’s proposal on behalf of the civic which states our support of the Mobility Plan — a document we approved about a year and a half ago.

This follows on the heels of other disappointments on traffic calming action for 4th and Summit:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-holds-off-on-making-summit-and-fourth-two-way

goldenidea
    Participant

Saw that a for lease sign is up at the former Bristol Bar, Jeff Mathis’ lease must have finally run out. I hope it ends up being something that will be a draw for the neighborhood. It would be great to have something energize 5th Ave past High St.

The Bristol Bar building and the three-unit townhouse bldg on Summit right behind it all sold as a package recently in a bank short sale. They were priced to move and not on the market for long. All units, including the bar, are now up for lease under new ownership. I walked through the entire package. The upper floors of the BB have been gutted to the brick.

Speaking of E.5th Ave in/near Weinland Park, there was news in the Dispatch this morning about Veliko Ventures. They’re one of the bigger WP landlords, whose holdings include several large residential buildings near Bristol. When these guys bought their portfolio back in ’08, I wondered if they would be able manage it. They’ve faced their share of challenges and problems. Not even CPO, with their institutional organization and their access to considerable of public financing can easily manage this kind of subsidized housing/tenants.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/10/rental-property-crimes-sully-neighborhood.html

labi
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    Speaking of E.5th Ave in/near Weinland Park, there was news in the Dispatch this morning about Veliko Ventures. They’re one of the bigger WP landlords, whose holdings include several large residential buildings near Bristol.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/10/rental-property-crimes-sully-neighborhood.html

I was really frustrated by this story. If you look at the map of the properties, they are evenly split between WP and Italian Village, and the particularly bad one is on the IV side of the border.

Yet the story only mentioned WP and only bothered to quote someone from WP (although maybe that was because, to my knowledge, only WP lifted a finger to actually do something about that property, because it was causing problems north of Fifth Avenue. The WP civic association’s safety committee did it, and it took months, with no help from IV.)

So there’s another article where something bad is attributed only to WP. The sainted phrase “Italian Village” is never mentioned, and the article describes the area as being “close to the Short North” when half the properties are south of Fifth Avenue and the commercial landlord who is quoted complaining about the situation is primarily known for his investments in the Short North. To cap it off, they misspelled “Weinland Park” in the photo caption. Jesus.

mrpoppinzs

I am SO glad this was brought up. Veliko Ventures LLC owns a bunch of properties all over Weinland Park and it really appears to be too much for them to handle. I have had to call the cops several times having witnessed blatant drug selling from their properties. It really hurts the neighborhood. Back in the 2000’s, I am told a similar thing happened when the Haller’s owned big chunks of WP property. It gets to be too much to handle and they do not properly screen tenants and look the other way when drugs and illegal activity take place as they need the rents to pay the mortgages.

Weinland Park is a very tempting place for landlords to bite off more than they can chew.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 440 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO