Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Weinland Park Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 440 total)
  • Author

Stuggots

Hi!

Construction on the first phase of new housing in Weiland Park is breaking ground in the next few weeks.

Join the Weiland Park Redevelopment page on Facebook to follow the construction.

Thank you

surber17
    Participant

can you provide some more details around this? I can’t use the facebook link right now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some in Weinland Park fed up with OSU’s ‘urban lab’ treatment
    Friday, March 4, 2011
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The red, wooden stands have been put in the Weinland Park neighborhood so residents can say what they want to see instead of vacant lots and boarded-up houses.

Residents peppered the signboards with stickers holding their suggestions.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/03/04/students-at-work-in-weinland-park-again.html?sid=101

anillo
    Participant

I think it’d be cool to have them in Clintonville… I’m jealous there aren’t any south of campus.

cc

It seems the Wagenbrenner’s are the ones pulling the strings in Weinland Park. It would be good to get more information in this vein. The student stuff seems more a diversion…

labi
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    It seems the Wagenbrenner’s are the ones pulling the strings in Weinland Park. It would be good to get more information in this vein.

Can you elaborate on what it is you want to know? There are enough real-estate-related projects going on in Weinland Park that even when you live here and go to lots of meetings, it can get confusing. I’m curious about non-residents’ perceptions of what’s going on.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just met with Wagenbrenner last week. Still have to follow up on a few things for an article. Should have it up soon. Lots and lots going on in that area.

cc

Thanks Walker!

@labi

I hear WagCo is buying up everything they can get their hands on in WP (ie. if there is a house forsale, Wagco will pay cash) and are basically getting the city’s pat on the back to get stuff rolling. From Harrison West it seems that they do a good job, but they control their own strings. I am hoping Walker will shed more light as the main project has been outlined, but there seems to be more going on under the surface.

labi
    Participant

It’s true (as Walker’s interview I’m sure will describe) that WagCo is working with Campus Partners to do “revitalizing” real estate projects in WP using the city’s federal Neighborhood Stabilization Plan money, among other funds. On the face of it, it would seem they are primarily doing this because their giant Cols Coated Fabrics site will be worth a lot more if revitalization works. But the layers of administrative bureaucracy are significant on these projects, to the point that I’m not sure I would say that it looks like they are really solely in charge. They often express great frustration at how restrictive and cumbersome the NSP regs are, and how no one seems to really be accountable for projects moving forward through through the regulatory process in a timely manner. I give them a lot of credit for sticking with it all this time, devoting a huge amount of time to interacting with existing residents, other “stakeholders,” and everything else. They are remarkably accessible.

I think it’s an open question what the unintended consequences of their presence in the market with all that cash might be, in terms of when individual buyers will have a chance to compete on properties that are for sale. When WagCo has a staff person whose job it is to know every single property in the neighborhood that could potentially be for sale, and to negotiate hard with cash in hand for anything that does come up, it feels like there’s not a lot of room for the lowly, non-non-profit individual prospective buyer. I would say that the window for an individual to get a super screaming good price for a distressed property has been closed for a while. On the other hand, there have been few to none (as far as I know) properties picked up by slumlord investors who basically slap a coat of ghetto beige paint on everything and rent them back out, and that’s a really good thing for WP. I’m really glad to see that kind of investor being out-competed by WagCo/Campus Partners.

There are a lot of houses in WP, and it might be reasonable to expect that once market values pick up just a bit there will be another phase of properties for sale that will still be good deals. Plus the rehabbed houses from the WagCo/Campus Partners projects, for those who aren’t interested in the gut rehab route.

cc

thanks labi!

berdawn

I would love to know what happened to all the jobs that were promised to those who completed the construction training program. So far, the only person I know for sure who got hired is the guy who was running the program and he now works for Waggonbrenner.

labi
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    I would love to know what happened to all the jobs that were promised to those who completed the construction training program. So far, the only person I know for sure who got hired is the guy who was running the program and he now works for Waggonbrenner.

There’s going to be an update on that at the housing committee meeting tomorrow (5:00, Godman Guild). As you know, the “jobs promised” were going to be in the rehab projects, which have been held up by the city and NSP approvals process, but are going to be starting soon, with any luck. Efforts to find other jobs for the trainees in the meantime have been extensive.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I’ve also heard that finding other jobs for those graduates has been difficult because of mobility issues.

@berdawn- I would say that some hard lessons have been learned from the gateway project. The bullish claims that the project would be an economic generator for the WP community makes residents loose trust in the redevelopment efforts led by the same players this time. The jobs were created but sadly went to more marketable students instead. I think this was partly because employers where not given incentives to consider the low skilled labor force available to them just a block east of them.

Also I think the current program is inadequate and far less comprehensive then its needs to be for the community and its diverse population. If they are truly sincere about getting people employed, a lot more needs to happen.

berdawn

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    I’ve also heard that finding other jobs for those graduates has been difficult because of mobility issues.
    @berdawn- I would say that some hard lessons have been learned from the gateway project. The bullish claims that the project would be an economic generator for the WP community makes residents loose trust in the redevelopment efforts led by the same players this time. The jobs were created but sadly went to more marketable students instead. I think this was partly because employers where not given incentives to consider the low skilled labor force available to them just a block east of them.
    Also I think the current program is inadequate and far less comprehensive then its needs to be for the community and its diverse population. If they are truly sincere about getting people employed, a lot more needs to happen.

but but but wasn’t there a position created specifically to help get WP residents jobs? don’t tell me THAT isn’t going as planned???

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I know the person in that position and I think she must be thoroughly frustrated with the unrealistic goals set for her. It’s going to take a lot longer than a couple of years to have the population she is dealing with get into living wage jobs that they can hold on to.

I would have to add that this is not a one way relationship between developers providing services to residents. This proposed revitalization will only work if residents stand up for themselves and take the steps to make themselves be more marketable. Developers build stuff. They are not built for job training activities. These programs are nice to have and make the overall project look better but it’s not the singular objective of the builder/developer. Let’s be real, the only reason those programs are implemented is because it will help sell more houses. But I’m all for it if some small percentage of the local population benefits from these job programs.

The real question is how can anything be done for those who are so disenchanted with societies systematic rejection that they give up demanding a higher quality of life and resort to just surviving off of whatever assistance they can get?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 440 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE