Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 579 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

That house (1412 Summit) did go through foreclosure, but was quickly purchased by Columbus Housing Partnership (?), when it came on the market quite awhile ago. I don’t think it’s been occupied since that purchase and last time I looked, there’s still a lockbox on the front door. So I don’t know it’s exact status, but I don’t believe it’s for sale presently.

Robert Cauldwell “the mayor of WP” and his family lived there after Haller rehabbed it. What do you guys make of Haller (aka,”the sheriff of WP”)?

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I think CHP does good work. I went through their free Home buying seminar. It’s pretty extensive and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about buying a home. I have no idea who these “sheriffs” and “mayors” are. Who are these guys?

berdawn

goldenidea wrote >>
    That house (1412 Summit) did go through foreclosure, but was quickly purchased by Columbus Housing Partnership (?), when it came on the market quite awhile ago. I don’t think it’s been occupied since that purchase and last time I looked, there’s still a lockbox on the front door. So I don’t know it’s exact status, but I don’t believe it’s for sale presently.
    Robert Cauldwell “the mayor of WP” and his family lived there after Haller rehabbed it. What do you guys make of Haller (aka,”the sheriff of WP”)?

Robert lived there because he purchased the home from Haller…for almost a quarter of a million dollars. He’s a perfectly nice person, but between that and the outcomes he produced at Woodland Meadows, I would say somewhat lacking in credibility.

Haller does good PR but as someone who lives halfway down the block from his tenants, I would say he cares very very little for the neighborhood.

berdawn

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    I think CHP does good work. I went through their free Home buying seminar. It’s pretty extensive and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about buying a home. I have no idea who these “sheriffs” and “mayors” are. Who are these guys?

Haller owns a large number of apt buildings and he has a reputation in the press for making sure his tenants are not participating or encouraging criminal or anti-social activities. He bought a bunch of buildings and rehabbed them and rented them out. The rehabs that I’ve seen (two of my neighbors bought Haller Houses and I toured the 1412 house when it was first completed) do not appear to have long-term in mind in terms of construction or materials. He donated a house to OSU that is now used for offices (it was the human ecology house, not sure what it is now). Robert Caldwell was part of the group that revamped Greenbriar (uzi alley) into Woodland Meadows and set up a social services agency there (the results were less than stellar).

I call dibs on czarina of WP!

berdawn

fuck…I tried to replace my avatar with a pic of Catherine the Great’s coronation crown and deleted my old one!

cmhcow
    Participant

coolbuckeye wrote >>

It isn’t Columbus Housing Partnership that bought Robert’s former house, it is Columbus Housing Properties. Very different organizations with very different missions.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

oh… well that sucks.

rory
    Participant

Who is Columbus Housing Properties? Jennifer Brunner told me it was just an LLC from 2008 with a lawyer for a front.

rory
    Participant

BigJuice

It doesn’t seem like they own too much else? The guy who bought it quit claimed it over to that LLC soon after he bought it, and is listed as the rental contact…
    Btw, people definitely do live there; they just re-graveled the driveway out back.
    I know I’m late to the conversation, but I think Hamlet has some good things going for it.

beersie1
    Participant

(Disclaimer: I live in this area of WP but..)
    There are quite a few vacant houses between the carryout (6th) and 8th across/near the school.
    I’ve heard the same person owns 3 of them while I see one listed on Craigslist right now. They need serious work, but could be a good great deal at some point for someone with the motivation/ know-how. null

The stretch between 5th and 6th has really started taking shape. I can’t see carryout staying there for too long right across from the new multi-million dollar school. I’m day dreaming, but someday way down the line that corner spot could be perfect for a coffee shop, deli or something of that nature.
    I’d even take a carryout with a face-lift.

Indianola closer to 5th has some nice houses and only a block from High and steps from what will be the new Kroger.

beersie1
    Participant

Oh yeah, and agree that Hamlet is a great little street with some beautiful homes and lots of potential..

goldenidea
    Participant

Just to chip into the thread before dashing off to work…

Yep, no doubt someone is living at 1412 Summit. I’ve observed mulitiple lights on in various rooms/windows over the past week or so as I ride by in the evening.

Hamlet in general, especially the segment btwn E5th Ave and WP, does continue to look ever more nice. That lower segement, south of the park, is even nicer than a lot of northern IV, IMHO. There have been two single family homes that have sold on that block this year for at or above $175K each, those are sales in Weinland Park!!!

Sam’s Carryout at Summit and E6th Ave may be hard to lose. This property’s owners (ie. “Sam” and his wife(?)) also operate the carryout. So it’s value to them as their source of livlihood probably exceeds any price anyone could/would/should offer them for the real estate. I know of at least one relative newcomer to the immediate area, someone who has done considerable renovating, who did extend what was likely a very generous offer to Sam. That offer was not accepted. So I don’t believe that Sam is really interested in selling, as least not yet. Perhaps the day will come when he’ll convert it to a coffee shop or something, but selling beer, wine, cigs, groceries, and lottery tickets continues to be a profitable business in this kind of setting.

rory
    Participant

The whole neighborhood has some nice houses. There’s some architecturally interesting houses on Indianola south of 7th and at the upper end of N. 5th and 6th.

BTW–Today is the Weinland Park Civic Association Meeting, 6:30 at the Schoenbaum Center, which is located on the corner of 7th and Summit.

Stop by and meet your neighbors and everyone else that has their finger in the pie that is Weinland Park. ;)

beersie1
    Participant

I don’t think I’m going to be out of work in time for the Civic Association meeting, but am still up for the Weinland Park Wednesday at Bristol afterwards. Anyone else down?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: