Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 579 total)
  • Author

JimSweeney
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>

laChewla wrote >>

jimbach wrote >>
    The bad – …social leeches like the Godman Guild.

Could you please explain this sentiment?

I think Berdawn alluded to it pretty well, but essentially, look at it this way: The Godman Guild (and organizations like it) are committed to serving the needs of the urban underclass. They provide assistance in learning job skills, finding jobs, connecting the poor to social services, etc. That’s all fine, but they are at their core a bureaucratic organism, and like all organisms, their main imperative is survival. And for them to survive, there must be a large contingent of poor people in the area for them to serve. They provide no service to someone like me. I’m educated, employed, and have job skills. Therefore, the more people like me who move into Weinland Park, the less need for an organization like the Godman Guild. It’s vital for them to maintain a high level of poverty and low percentages of owner-occupied housing in the area.

this is just plain stupid.

labi
    Participant

I have owned a house/lived in WP for about 3 yrs. My understanding of the Wagenbrenner plans for the Cols Coated Fabrics site has been that it will be market rate – although a specific, somewhat lower end of market rate. In 3 years of Wagenbrenner presentations at civic assoc meetings, I don’t recall hearing anything about affordable housing.

goldenidea
    Participant

I think “lower end market rate” and “affordable housing” are probably meant to have the same basic meaning, i.e. housing that costs less than typical housing for the general area in which it is located. I agree that is what Wagenbrenners state they intend to build. I think that’s fine for WP. Given the neighborhood’s existing state you can’t expect them to overbuild in the area and hope they can sell to top income buyers.

My thought is that even if they build and market affordable housing, once the neighborhood is perceived as livable by a wider group of people, by the merits of the neighborhood’s location, in addition to other positives, demand will increase and prices will climb. Owners will also start to upgrade their units, as has happened in other parts of the Short North. The presence of CPO housing won’t be a significant deterrent. The residents of the CPO housing will have a chance to see how the funtional people now living around them conduct productive lives and they’ll become more motivated to learn to do the same.

berdawn

Affordable housing is usually referring to income based: 1/3 of renters’ income for the rent. the difference is subsidized through a tax-credit.

goldenidea
    Participant

Berdawn, so affordable housing is rental housing, not to sell? OK, thanks for that explanation.

BTW, I just finished a very informative little book called “The Housing Boom and Bust” by Thomas Sowell c.2009. He’s a Stanford economist; and a conservative. Basically his thesis is that the entire real estate bubble and bank meltdown was politically driven. That high housing prices were caused by land use policies. The high prices drove politicians (Democrats) to promote affordable housing and more lax lending standards (i.e. subprime). That Community Banking policies also forced banks to make loans they normally would not make. That the fundamental cause of the collapse was simply that many people who got loans could not afford them. And that the securitization of mortgages, while a flawed system didn’t cause the meltdown, but rather made this kind of lending more possible and spread the risks to a much wider/larger (world-wide) group of people. It’s a good book that’s available at Columbus Metro Library.

berdawn

goldenidea wrote >>
    Berdawn, so affordable housing is rental housing, not to sell? OK, thanks for that explanation.
    BTW, I just finished a very informative little book called “The Housing Boom and Bust” by Thomas Sowell c.2009. He’s a Stanford economist; and a conservative. Basically his thesis is that the entire real estate bubble and bank meltdown was politically driven. That high housing prices were caused by land use policies. The high prices drove politicians (Democrats) to promote affordable housing and more lax lending standards (i.e. subprime). That Community Banking policies also forced banks to make loans they normally would not make. That the fundamental cause of the collapse was simply that many people who got loans could not afford them. And that the securitization of mortgages, while a flawed system didn’t cause the meltdown, but rather made this kind of lending more possible and spread the risks to a much wider/larger (world-wide) group of people. It’s a good book that’s available at Columbus Metro Library.

I don’t think your tone is entirely called for; “income based” or “affordable housing” is housing that is subsidized through federal programs offset by tax credits. it’s somewhat more complex than simply renting; the difference between the market rate and what the individual pays comes from federal dollars for which the owner of record must make application. the entire development (it’s only used for multi-units) is certified at the same time.

I’ll check out the book you suggest but I would ask that you not be a dick and check out some of the writings about neighborhood development over time: The Old Neighborhood and Geography of Nowhere.

As to the redlining and the CRA (community reinvestment act), I’ll be curious to see how the writer you referenced compares to others.

DavidF
    Participant

Thomas Sowell? I read his column fairly regularly and rarely find much to his thinking other than the market is always right, government is always wrong.

Wikipedia entry for Thomas Sowell

Just want to say I like where E 5th Ave. has been going. Bristol Bar, Third Hand, Spore, and Stoned Pizza (technically IV, but still) are all great examples of the kind of new businesses that are good for the neighborhood (I’m uncomfortably confused by Virgin Fitness). Go further down 5th and it’s rather bleak with fast food restaurants that have bullet-proof windows and other depressing places. Mally Gal’s Lounge anyone? Without the handful of new businesses that have popped up, E 5th would be the longest, saddest commercial street in the city with few, if any, redeeming qualities (of which there is unfortunately plenty of competition).

Now if only that dumpy carryout just a couple blocks east of High on E 5th would clean itself up or get bought out for something better. Can’t the neighborhood association do something about run-down storefronts? The carryout on High just south of E 5th sells much of the same I’m sure, but has a clean, uncluttered exterior. Doesn’t seem like too much to ask for, since it certainly affects property values of neighborhood residents.

goldenidea
    Participant

ahhh… Berdawn, my tone was completely in earnest as written. I was merely trying to thank you for posting some info and nothing more.

As for the reference to Sowell, it’s a book I randomly grabbed off the display shelf in the Main Library lobby. I’m not going to bat for this author, but I do think the free market tends to work better than at least some alternatives.

As for Mally Gal’s, hey I’ve been in there before for a few drinks. It’s not a bad place. Anybody ever drink at the Happy Family on St Clair? That’s another great place, but you have to be careful what you say because, sadly, some of the customers can be touchy and packing heat.

The carryout at E5th Ave and N4th St is MidAmerica. That business changed ownership about 3 years ago. Like virtally all inner city carryouts in low-income areas of Columbus, the owners (past & present) are hardworking, risk-taking middle-eastern immigrants.

I agree that MidAmerica could really use a facelift, but the new owners recently invested in an exterior paint job and new signage (along with a lot of roof repair), so I doubt that will happen soon. It would be nice if someone could exude a little influence any future exterior improvements.

There are homeowners in that small niche of Weinland Park (i.e. along Hamlet, north of 5th) that would love to see that carryout get closed down. As one of the few state liquor stores, on the near northeast side, it does draw a whole lot of traffic. They were even able to get their Sunday liquor sales license a few years ago, with no apparent opposition.

berdawn

goldenidea wrote >>
    ahhh… Berdawn, my tone was completely in earnest as written. I was merely trying to thank you for posting some info and nothing more.

Thanks for clarifying…it’s difficult to get inflections and maybe, possibly, perhaps, I am a bit prickly :)

Rastapasta

I am interested in seeing if I can find a good deal on a house in WP; is there an agency selling government owned properties here in Columbus out there that I am not aware of? The HUD website I use doesn’t have anything in Columbus..

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Me too! And should I be calling South clintonville Olde North now? I cant keep up with the names.

berdawn

Rastapasta wrote >>
    I am interested in seeing if I can find a good deal on a house in WP; is there an agency selling government owned properties here in Columbus out there that I am not aware of? The HUD website I use doesn’t have anything in Columbus..

I don’t know if there is an agency, but if you mosey through the neighborhood, the foreclosed on houses should be apparent.

Rastapasta

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    Me too! And should I be calling South clintonville Olde North now? I cant keep up with the names.

I think the Olde North name has been around for a while; although it was rarely used by most in Columbus.

berdawn wrote >>

Rastapasta wrote >>

I don’t know if there is an agency, but if you mosey through the neighborhood, the foreclosed on houses should be apparent.

What are the more desirable streets out there?

berdawn

Rastapasta wrote >>

coolbuckeye wrote >>

I think the Olde North name has been around for a while; although it was rarely used by most in Columbus.

berdawn wrote >>

Rastapasta wrote >>

What are the more desirable streets out there?

not to be too flip, but it really depends on what you desire.

The house at the south east corner of summit and 8th is a foreclosure. Haller extensively remodeled it, but then, Haller did the rehab.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: