Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 579 total)
  • Author

jimbach
    Participant

As a longtime WP resident, I stand by my initial statement. Ask anyone who’s owned property and lived in the neighborhood for any length of time and they will probably have a similar view.

berdawn wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>
    the GG was a great summer getaway for myself and all the other kids in the neighborhood. as a person who was born and raised through out the short north and HW it was a life saver to us all. its a great program and organization. shame on those who despise it! you really dont want those kids with nothing to do…… trust me. it was a great place 25 years ago and im sure its just as great if not better now.

despise…who said that??? take a fucking tranq and re-read what those of us who live here have said: 1) GG does great things for the people who live here who need their services. 2) they were instrumental in keeping the huge percentage of subsidized housing in WP. 3) they benefit greatly from maintaining the status quo re housing and are actively hostile to additional owner occupied housing.

when someone refers to the GG as a social leech i can only assume that they despise them. take a fucking tranq…….. i think you need the fucking tranq honey…..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Alright. Enough with the bickering. Keep it civil.

rory
    Participant

And if you attend the CMCp.m. event tonight you can ask our exciting panelists about this and other urban development issues.

CMCp.m. Urban Columbus

rory
    Participant

TaraK
    Participant

I had to take a break to calm down before responding to this thread.

I’m another Godman Guild employee and I’d like to second what kandrews said.

At the moment, I don’t have any kind words to express how I feel about the “leeches” comment. I’m sure you can infer.

So how do we work to help our residents out of poverty? Which program specifically? The GED program that pays for their GED testing and training? Or the employment program that helps to get them jobs? Or the TEEN program that works to help our students stay in school, graduate, and get job skills including restaurant ServSafe certification & college credits — at no cost to them? Or do you feel like the employees are over-compensated?

Do we have to reject applicants from our programs and turn people away? Yes. Why? We have funders who dictate quite a bit about about who is served and how they’re served. We are nonetheless grateful. And, of course, we have to do what our funds allow, and sometimes that means cutting employees to see that we can adequately fund client services.

It’s also important to note that our clients aren’t restricted to any neighborhood; we serve people from around the city and Franklin county. The GG’s focus is on helping families and communities through education, advocacy and employment.

As kandrews pointed out, I would recommend you visit our website or our agency. http://www.godmanguild.org/

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Thanks TaraK

berdawn

CDS sherman wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>
    the GG was a great summer getaway for myself and all the other kids in the neighborhood. as a person who was born and raised through out the short north and HW it was a life saver to us all. its a great program and organization. shame on those who despise it! you really dont want those kids with nothing to do…… trust me. it was a great place 25 years ago and im sure its just as great if not better now.

despise…who said that??? take a fucking tranq and re-read what those of us who live here have said: 1) GG does great things for the people who live here who need their services. 2) they were instrumental in keeping the huge percentage of subsidized housing in WP. 3) they benefit greatly from maintaining the status quo re housing and are actively hostile to additional owner occupied housing.

when someone refers to the GG as a social leech i can only assume that they despise them. take a fucking tranq…….. i think you need the fucking tranq honey…..

darlin’, I save those for visits to my mother.

I can only THINK that since you make such ASSUMPTIONS you’re not interesting in responding to anything actually stated?

berdawn

TaraK wrote >>
    I had to take a break to calm down before responding to this thread.
    I’m another Godman Guild employee and I’d like to second what kandrews said.
    At the moment, I don’t have any kind words to express how I feel about the “leeches” comment. I’m sure you can infer.
    So how do we work to help our residents out of poverty? Which program specifically? The GED program that pays for their GED testing and training? Or the employment program that helps to get them jobs? Or the TEEN program that works to help our students stay in school, graduate, and get job skills including restaurant ServSafe certification & college credits — at no cost to them? Or do you feel like the employees are over-compensated?
    Do we have to reject applicants from our programs and turn people away? Yes. Why? We have funders who dictate quite a bit about about who is served and how they’re served. We are nonetheless grateful. And, of course, we have to do what our funds allow, and sometimes that means cutting employees to see that we can adequately fund client services.
    It’s also important to note that our clients aren’t restricted to any neighborhood; we serve people from around the city and Franklin county. The GG’s focus is on helping families and communities through education, advocacy and employment.
    As kandrews pointed out, I would recommend you visit our website or our agency. http://www.godmanguild.org/

I don’t think anyone has questioned the value of what GG does for the clients; at issue is more how this neighborhood will develop. I very much doubt that anyone who currently owns a home in which s/he lives in Weinland Park (a population that does NOT include your executive director) wants our neighborhood to become Dublin-by-the-Tracks. The response by Godman Guild to suggestions that the percentage of subsidized housing in WP be reduced was met with hostility during the planning process.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Do you think that the percentage of low income housing in WP is too high/ too low/ just right? How do you feel about gentrification in general? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yah! Why the hostility and no substance GG? I think I asked some legitimate questions.

berdawn wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>

darlin’, I save those for visits to my mother.
    I can only THINK that since you make such ASSUMPTIONS you’re not interesting in responding to anything actually stated?

at this point no, im not interested. but the comments speak for them selves…..

thirsty

I am new to the board as a poster. I posted that I have a commercial lot for sale at the corner of 4th and Chittenden. I also have a business for sale there as well. The business has been in operation for many years. It’s time for me to move on. I wasn’t going to sell the business when I posted the lot, but after much consideration, I realized I was ready to go. The neighborhood is changing. An apartment complex is going up in the Zettler hardware location. As far as I know it will not be Section 8 housing. I had it for sale a couple years ago and took it off the market for reasons I would be happy to discuss via email. Contact me for further inquiries. [email protected]

goldenidea
    Participant

<CPO does not own housing, actually, OCCH no longer “owns” all the <subsidized units…interesting that they are no longer the owners of <record, but a number of subsidiaries, based at their address is. GG, <along with OCCH, and people like Robert Schilling (and assorted not-<Robert, but also named Schilling individuals) own well more than 100 <units in WP.

Schilling owns the Duplex Courts on 4th St btwn 7th & 8th Aves, a five unit at Hamlet & 9th and two large multiunits on Summit btwn 5th and 6th Aves. Recently, he’s bought a few doubles scattered here and there. Duplex Courts is/are occupied by “mental health” tenants, but I believe his Summit buildings are becoming/have become market rate units. Schilling’s big mental health buildings are in Old Town, places like Bryden House. He also owns the Greystone on High St in VV. My bet is that he’d rent everything he holds in WP at market rate if/when the demand arrives. In the meantime, he has to get rent where he can. I think JR Haller holds more section 8 unit spread over a much larger area of WP and Schilling or anyone else does, except CPO. But, if I’m not mistaken, CPO’s position in WP is less than 20%. If/when most or all of the voucher Section 8 (e.g. JR Haller) goes market rate, the neighborhood becomes much better.

<The neighborhood plan IS just a document, but one that is supposed <to provide guidance over time. Leaving housing to market forces will <result in another HW, IV, or VV…gentrified neighborhoods with no <commitment to affordable housing. Maintaining the status quo results <in an easy location to house those most and an easy paycheck for <those whose organizations benefit most from a large, poor <population.

I don’t see how, in a free market, you can “commit to affordable housing”. If property or a neighborhood is undervalued, buyers will bid it up to parity, assuming there is no factor like crime working against it. Will WP ever be as pricey as VV? Probably not b/c it lacks the architectural assets VV has, but parts of it could come close to being IV or HW. JMHO.

berdawn

The auditor’s website lists five 4-19 unit buildings and three 20-39 unit buildings in WP for robert schilling (at least one of which is rented only to MH clients), two duplexes for John and Nicholas S, and two 4-19 unit buildings for Linda S.

I don’t have the map from when OCCH (CPO is the management subsidiary for most of their properties) took over, but it’s hundreds of units in WP. A neighborhood can commit to affordable housing by including such language in the neighborhood plan (or not), especially when such a large percentage of the property is owned by a single entity that is funded by the government.

goldenidea
    Participant

>>>

The auditor’s website lists five 4-19 unit buildings and three 20-39 unit buildings in WP for robert schilling (at least one of which is rented only to MH clients), two duplexes for John and Nicholas S, and two 4-19 unit buildings for Linda S.

I don’t have the map from when OCCH (CPO is the management subsidiary for most of their properties) took over, but it’s hundreds of units in WP. A neighborhood can commit to affordable housing by including such language in the neighborhood plan (or not), especially when such a large percentage of the property is owned by a single entity that is funded by the government
    >>>

I think if you look more closely at the auditor’s website you’ll see he and his family owns four rather large multiunit complexes (12 units or more… I forgot the one on Indianola in my last post) and the rest are 5 units or less. Of those four very large parcels, he’s recently condoed 1271 Summit (his largest parcel). He would not go through the expense of condoing something occupied and operated by a MH group. It used to be MH occupied, but I know from firsthand observation it is being marketed and occupied by market rate owners and/or tenants.

Two of the other larger parcels may still be MH occupied which is also likely for the one on Indianola. However, since he’s turning 1271 Summit, I think it very likely he’ll turn the one adjacent to it (to the south) on Summit and also Indianola, b/c that part of WP is most ripe for conversion, and why stop at one?

His large 4th Street parcel (Duplex Courts) will be tougher to convert because it’s very near the worst part of the neighborhood (based on my 8-years worth of observations). He has MH tenants in that one as well. While I can’t say for certain, I doubt he has MH operators, because many of his MH tenants know his name. I know several of his present and former tenants from the Duplex Courts as well as a few from the Summit parcels, and they all know him.

As for his smaller-unit buildings, he recently added two four-units on 4th St south of the park. Those are being occupied by market rate tenants. I suspect his recently purchased (about a year ago) 2 or 4-unit on the east side of Summit, south of the park is also market rate. His 5-unit at Hamlet and 9th may be MH, but I wonder, since there’s a very nice and large parcel around the corner at Summit and 9th (held by Bruggeman) that’s market rate.

So really, the majority of his holdings are now market rate, but mostly because he’s converted 1271 Summit. To me, that conversion is a big indication of what direction he wants to take in WP.

To my knowledge, JR Haller hasn’t done any conversions. It would be nice to see him start moving that way.

IMHO, the WP Plan doesn’t hold much meaning unless the City, OCCH/CPO (who cares what you call them), and a few other bigger players choose to follow the course it charts. They can do what they want, with or without a plan. In my opinion, it’s a document that dishes out political correctness more than certain intent. It could even be a smokescreen.

Somewhere in the past, (check out the ownership map in the Plan for example) I read or tallied a total number of units held by CPO. I can’t quote the source (probaby the Plan) or the exact number, but using that info, I concluded their holding are less that 20% of the total. I think you can validate that simply by walking around and counting or by using the auditors website. That evaluation is significant b/c it points to the baseline number of Section 8 units that would remain if everything else turns. If CPO significant holdings on 11th Ave go market rate, the S8 percentage will be that much lower. I think it’s likely that will happen.

As for the Waggonbrenners, given what they are accomplishing at Harrison Park, I think the City chose a pretty good developer. Even if they build and market “affordable housing”, it may not stay that way once it turns hands as first buyers/owners sell. You need things like “rent control” to dictate and maintain pricing, and I really hope to never see that anywhere in Columbus.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: