Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 579 total)
  • Author

KSquared

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    I’m just stating the realities that I perceive as challenges. I don’t have the solutions. I agree that you should support your children but the reality is that some don’t. And in addition to the lack of entry level employment, other issues like child support act as a deterrent to legitimate employment.

OK, I misunderstood, you were explaining not advocating. I agree, that is not easily solved.

rory
    Participant

I don’t think there are any easy answers either but it seems that continuing to concentrate poverty or bulldoze your way out of it a la urban renewal are two ideas that many will agree failed many years ago.
    Why the city, the university, social service agencies and other players keep trying it in Weinland Park is beyond me.

jimbach
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    I don’t think there are any easy answers either but it seems that continuing to concentrate poverty or bulldoze your way out of it a la urban renewal are two ideas that many will agree failed many years ago.
    Why the city, the university, social service agencies and other players keep trying it in Weinland Park is beyond me.

The university has an incentive to keep property values in the neighborhood low, in case they need to expand further eastward at some point. Now, mind you, they also have incentives to keep the area safe for students and visitors.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

@Jimbach-if the university wanted to expand east wouldn’t they have done that a long time ago? How many buildings have they built on campus and west of campus in the past decade? I think its the safety issue that made OSU start campus partners in the first place.

Bristol Bar

Ok, let me begin this by saying I try to stay away from controversial topics such as this one…But, I can’t stand on the sidelines with this.

#1 – OSU has a vested interest in Weinland Park because over 20 years ago, they learned that they will never be a Top 10 school by turning their back on the east side of High Street. Now that they are interested, guess what, the city is interested. This will happen slow and methodical and the end result will be a cleaned up neighborhood with more students and prof’s.

#2 – I am 150% against Section 8 housing. If you want something, work for it and pay for it. Done deal.

#3 – Or maybe this #2 1/2. How about this novel idea. Go to the churches in Weinland Park, ask the leaders who the “good” people are in the area who attend, form a partnership with the church where the purchase a home, have the tenant learn skills like plumbing, HVAC, eclectic, etc from a certified electrician and they earn their home by doing the work themselves. And guess what? They learn a trade in the meantime. I know this is different from gov’t current system of handouts, but guess what it would do for a neighborhood if people owned and earned there houses.

Ok, I’m done.

berdawn

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    @Jimbach-if the university wanted to expand east wouldn’t they have done that a long time ago? How many buildings have they built on campus and west of campus in the past decade? I think its the safety issue that made OSU start campus partners in the first place.

They’re pretty much out of room west of High; the residents there are pretty well organized. East of High/North of 11th is off limits, too. that leaves east of High, south of 11th.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Bristol Bar wrote >>
    Ok, let me begin this by saying I try to stay away from controversial topics such as this one…But, I can’t stand on the sidelines with this.
    #1 – OSU has a vested interest in Weinland Park because over 20 years ago, they learned that they will never be a Top 10 school by turning their back on the east side of High Street. Now that they are interested, guess what, the city is interested. This will happen slow and methodical and the end result will be a cleaned up neighborhood with more students and prof’s.
    #2 – I am 150% against Section 8 housing. If you want something, work for it and pay for it. Done deal.
    #3 – Or maybe this #2 1/2. How about this novel idea. Go to the churches in Weinland Park, ask the leaders who the “good” people are in the area who attend, form a partnership with the church where the purchase a home, have the tenant learn skills like plumbing, HVAC, eclectic, etc from a certified electrician and they earn their home by doing the work themselves. And guess what? They learn a trade in the meantime. I know this is different from gov’t current system of handouts, but guess what it would do for a neighborhood if people owned and earned there houses.
    Ok, I’m done.

Amen to everything you just said. Anyone else want to get off the sideline? I for one would like to hear as many opinions (other than my own, cause I got a lot of them) as possible.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

coolbuckeye wrote >>

They’re pretty much out of room west of High; the residents there are pretty well organized. East of High/North of 11th is off limits, too. that leaves east of High, south of 11th.

Are you counting west of the river?

berdawn

coolbuckeye wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

coolbuckeye wrote >>

Are you counting west of the river?

west of the river, they’re ready to run into UA and I doubt they’re going to give up that golf course. Part of it is that WP is sooo cheap, especially compared what could be done with the undeveloped stuff on the west side of campus.

SusanB
    Participant

We have one of those “rent to own” section 8 CHP houses on our block. In 3 years we have had 3 different families. So much for the “rent to own” part, which we knew was crap the minute CHP pitched it to us. The current tenants have a teenage/20 something son who has a jacked up custom painted car with wing doors (also custom) and an expensive stereo. I drive a 20+ year old car with a broken AM radio and no one is paying my rent. I believe in helping people who really need it but the amount of benefits scamming I have seen on the south side is incredible. The system is not working. I was also a Section 8 landlord for 9 months (the duplex I bought had a S8 tenant already on the ‘rental’ side). I hope to never have a S8 tenant again. I won’t go into it here but it wasn’t a good experience.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Hmm. I see you are holding firm on your assessment. I’ll just have to take your word for it. Would be a bad thing if the university put up some buildings in WP in your oppinion?

thirsty

I have a commercial lot for sale at the corner of 4th and Chittenden if anyone is interested… [email protected]

berdawn

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    Hmm. I see you are holding firm on your assessment. I’ll just have to take your word for it. Would be a bad thing if the university put up some buildings in WP in your opinion?

I could easily be wrong. It wouldn’t hurt my property value, but I think it would deter the WP becoming a fully realized neighborhood. There are already a number of houses that parents have purchased for their children who attend OSU and more students renting. kind of like the section 8 buildings, too much of any one demographic skews it away from a mixed income residential neighborhood. It could become similar to the north side of campus area and that’s fine too, hell, there are only so many years left in my knees to have a house with this many steps!

kandrews
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>
    social leeches like the Godman Guild

I realize that in later posts people have clarified that they believe Godman Guild provides some good services but the initial statement that they are social leeches is uncalled for and certainly offensive to me and my co-workers at GG that work day after day to ensure Weinland Park residents have a future.

We work for very little money struggling ourselves to make ends meet only to have someone post an ignorant and unsubstantiated message about our organization. Godman Guild does provide basic services to Weinland Park but also provides services to Columbus and Franklin County residents – we have adapted our service area many times in the past and have expanded our services to others in need. The Godman Guild has been around for over 100 years and has added and removed programs to fit community needs and will continue to do so in the future.

I apologize that some residents feel excluded from our services. Although GG focuses on serving low income families – that is not the only population we serve so please inquire about our program guidelines if you are interested. We also have plenty of volunteer opportunities to get residents involved not to mention our community garden that all residents can participate in.

I will leave my comments at that with the hope that those reading will make their own judgements and stop by the GG website and/or visit to see the programs and services we provide.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Duly noted kandrews. A social leech was probably not a fair description. I think it came out of frustrations from some residents regarding Godman Guilds advocacy of individuals that need your services. I think it gets misinterpreted as GG advocating for the status quo. Obviously the challenges that face this community are much more complicated. Can you give us a sense of some of the challenges that face the community and what you guys are trying to do to improve the neighborhood for all of its residents? Do you think that the percentage of low income housing in WP is too high/ too low/ just right? How do you feel about gentrification in general? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION