Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 579 total)
  • Author

beersie1
    Participant

Weinland Park Wednesdays at Bristol, I like it!

beersie1
    Participant

Any community member drink specials?? :)

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Beersie I like the way you think. :)

blammo
    Participant

beersie1 wrote >>
    Any community member drink specials?? :)

oooh…NOW this thread has piqued my interest.

rory
    Participant

The civic association meeting is on Dec. 2nd at the Schoenbaum Center. 6:30 P.M.

Followed by Weinland Park Wednesday at the Bristol?

The meeting has been moved from its usual 4th Wednesday slot because of Thanksgiving Eve. I’d assume it’ll be back on schedule in January.

Bristol Bar

Heck ya, specials. Aren’t we all special?

Ok, so you tell me the special. Beer? Bourbon? Mixed drink?

coolbuckeye
    Participant

woohoo! yay alcohol! Im not picky.

beersie1
    Participant

I’m a sucker for a good beer special..

Bristol Bar

Ok, how about a beer and a shot for $5?

Trust me, you’ll love them both.

beersie1
    Participant

Sounds good to me- I’ll be there!

goldenidea
    Participant

This is a great thread. I’ve owned and operated investment property in WP for almost 8 years, and I used to be active in the civic association. I don’t live there, but I live close by and have spent many, many days and invested many dollars up there.

I need to read all of the posts but I’ll be back to give my perspective. Not all of the landlords are bad up there, but it’s extremely difficult to operate normal market rate apartments up there w/o getting skinned alive and ripped off by dishonest or disfuncational tenants.

DCist

I understand the sentiment about WP and Godman Guild. I am a little surprised that the earlier posts seemed to lump together organizations with GG and assume they feed on the poverty they are supposed to help. There are organizations that do their best to place people in jobs, get rent assistance, etc especially now, and they are overwhelmed with calls.

Also, I understand the sentiment that mandating the status quo number of subsidized units remain so, however, if all of the housing in all of Columbus was unsubsidized and closed to Section 8 these people wouldnt have anywhere to go. Not all S8 tennants are bad, but a lot are and I understand that. Maybe integrating them into your neighborhood and holding them to the same standards is a way to help them become good renters?

Also, just to note the Stable Families program (which is one of the good aforementioned orgs) was allocated funds specifically for a caseworker to work in WP exclusively. The goal is to keep their kids stable by stabilizing the families. Most of the people who call are genuinely trying to improve their situation and just cannot pull themselves out.

berdawn

The idea of mandating a certain percentage be maintained was so that affordable housing remained available in a gentrified neighborhood. WP is NOT a mixed income neighborhood. it is an extremely poor area and a commitment to keeping at minimum, a third of this “pretty good” housing stock based on income is much needed (see also victorian village, italian village and harrison west (and not those three buildings do not 1/3 of your neighborhood make). a clear standard would prevent housing from being so speculative in this area and once prices are stable (I’m looking at you, mortgage scarmmers who left all these forclosed houses) owners who want to live in a mixed income neighborhood rather than “the next cool thing” can stay.

berdawn

jimbach wrote >>

beersie1 wrote >>
    Do any of you regularly attend?

Berdawn was on the University Area Commission for several years. I’m sure if one of you bought her a few cocktails she could tell you some horror stories about microlocal politics.

It was only two years (maybe) and, yes, truly politics is like making sausage. I know there is a lot more resident involvement in the civic association than during the time the WP plan was being written and that is a very good thing.

Ta-Dow!

To The Bristol Bar…

First let me say that I’m a firm believer in supporting our local business’.

However, as a resident of W.P. (I’m just north of 5th on Summit), Bristol has added to some of the aggravation of the neighborhood. I can always tell when its a Thursday night, especially at 2:00 am.

Furthermore, being in such close proximity to the Bristol, I have stopped in for a night cap only to be snubbed by almost every bartender, and after finally placing an order, the bartender didn’t know how to make a Manhattan. Very disappointing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION