Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 579 total)
  • Author

When a child attacks an adult – the adult has every right to defend themself. There is no excuse for this and just allowing a child to hit the adult is enabling the behavior. The child should be pushed away and physically hurt as necessary in order to get them to stop – a taser might be extreme, but when a “gang” of youths attacks pepper spray would be a good defense including a 6 year old for that matter. These children have no respect and are acting like animals…this is the sad truth

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast said:
    When a child attacks an adult – the adult has every right to defend themself. There is no excuse for this and just allowing a child to hit the adult is enabling the behavior. The child should be pushed away and physically hurt as necessary in order to get them to stop – a taser might be extreme, but when a “gang” of youths attacks pepper spray would be a good defense including a 6 year old for that matter. These children have no respect and are acting like animals…this is the sad truth

If I saw you use pepper spray or a taser on a 6 year old, you better hope its in great working condition for a second round of use.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I think this is a good time to get your CPD liaison officer involved. Escalating is only going to further imprint in that child’s mind that violence is a OK response. In this very specific, non-hypothetical case, the kid was 6.

Now if we’re talking a child/adolescent or group that has age, strength and numbers to cause real, physical harm then mace away.

Here’s the deal, the kid was 6 but acting like 16. This is previously the strategy – they know that you would be reluctant to fight back, which is exactly why the do it! Regardless, defending your self in order to get them to stop is not a crime last I heard… A child attacking, unprovoked a women and punching her is despicable! My father would have used his belt – we need more belts and less rationalizing why they did it. The act happened and the child should be punished or hit as consequences for their behavior!

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

What in the hell are you talking about now? you honestly think it’s ok to mace a 6 yo? Get a grip!

bman
    Participant

I gotta agree with King … that little 6 year old thug needs to be taught a lesson at an early age or when he is 10 he is be raping or killing someone.

Mace’em King!

the_linotypist
    Participant

Here’s the deal, the kid was 6 but acting like 16. This is previously the strategy – they know that you would be reluctant to fight back, which is exactly why the do it! Regardless, defending your self in order to get them to stop is not a crime last I heard… A child attacking, unprovoked a women and punching her is despicable! My father would have used his belt – we need more belts and less rationalizing why they did it. The act happened and the child should be punished or hit as consequences for their behavior!

I guess I didn’t identify my gender one way or the other, but I am male.

And belts would only intensify the kid’s anger and resentment, no matter what the reason, and that would lead to more striking out in the community, at school, and everywhere else.

Durkeim wrote that in order for punishment to be effective “it needs to be swift, certain and severe” This is the opposite of our current legal and criminal justice system that has been perverted by unethical lawyers, lazy judges and a prevailing conventional wisdom that its “not their fault.” Well who in the hell’s fault is it mine or the man in the moon.

BS…if this kid continues to be enabled to repeat this behavior then he is headed for prison and a early death…they should take the kid and spank his behind until it is raw and if he does it again then do it again, then confine him in a time out…this is crap and not doing anything is not helping the child’s behavior! Maybe a bar of ivory soap in his mouth would be a good thing as well… If he was my kid he would be dead meat – many parents are too lazy to make the effort to reprimand as well which is the other part of the problem…

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

they should take the kid and spank his behind until it is raw

You’re a strange dude.

Twixlen
    Participant

Durkeim wrote that in order for punishment to be effective “it needs to be swift, certain and severe” This is the opposite of our current legal and criminal justice system that has been perverted by unethical lawyers, lazy judges and a prevailing conventional wisdom that its “not their fault.” Well who in the hell’s fault is it mine or the man in the moon.

BS…if this kid continues to be enabled to repeat this behavior then he is headed for prison and a early death…they should take the kid and spank his behind until it is raw and if he does it again then do it again, then confine him in a time out…this is crap and not doing anything is not helping the child’s behavior! Maybe a bar of ivory soap in his mouth would be a good thing as well… If he was my kid he would be dead meat – many parents are too lazy to make the effort to reprimand as well which is the other part of the problem…

I find your global assumptions about his child based on a single post, and the vehemence and over-stated violence of your response to be disturbing. The beatings come before time out? A bar of soap in the mouth for a punch, likely because of a dare amongst kids? Sure, kids behaving that way out in the world isn’t a good thing, but their parents aren’t around, and I’m going to make the grandiose assumption that it’s just as likely that kid experiences *plenty* of violence in his life. His lack of respect isn’t a sign that he needs to be beaten, it’s a sign that no one in his life has been deserving of respect. Violence doesn’t breed respect.

+1

DavidF
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:
    +1

Proof positive Kinglincoln is totally wrong.

Believe I’m totally right, but everyone has a right to their opinions. God Bless America LOL

Why don’t we also blame the victim? Maybe it was the color shirt that he was wearing that provoked the child and you know he should not have been on the street at that time… I stand by my thoughts if the the kid were mine – he would have been spanked and reprimanded severely…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Believe I’m totally right, but everyone has a right to their opinions. God Bless America LOL

Why don’t we also blame the victim? Maybe it was the color shirt that he was wearing that provoked the child and you know he should not have been on the street at that time… I stand by my thoughts if the the kid were mine – he would have been spanked and reprimanded severely…

No, your original thoughts were to encourage a stranger to grab a can of mace and give the kid what you felt he deserved.

I think there are many here that would agree with a parent disciplining the kid in a manner that was appropriate to age and severity of offense.

the_linotypist
    Participant

Before my wife and I split, and when our daughter was aged 5-11, the three of us lived in Franklinton. One fundamental difference between Frankinton and Weinland Park was that there was a genuine network, and kids and adults knew who cared about them, and was looking out for them, professionally or not.

Our household became, without intending to, a location like that, especially among my daughter’s friends. Her friends knew that if your parents had been gone for hours and you were hungry, come see us. If your folks went out to buy cigarettes and had not returned, come see us. If your stepfather (or your mom’s new boyfriend) has been paying a little too much attention to you since you started wearing a bra, my ex-wife would put a stop to it.

What I found truly sad was when my daughter would bring home friends, and they would stand, jaws dropping open, at the sight of books crowding every room except the kitchen and bathroom. It was a 100% alien concept that there could be that many books anywhere but in a school or library.

Weinland Park seems to have none of that. What collaborative effort there is seems to be for crime. I see kids running around unsupervised at all hours. The kids see me as some kind of evil troll because I won’t let them gallop back and forth across my yard and porch.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: