Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 579 total)
  • Author

As a foot note alot of the section 8 that was in Olde Towne East (most has moved out and much) is now in Weinland Park. Having spent time in Weinland Park, King Lincoln and Olde Towne can tell you that while Weinland Park’s location seems so appealing – just north of IV and S of OSU – the entrenched concentration of poverty and crime and plethora of multifamily subsidized housing (more than 4 units everywhere) that are rentals presents the number one challenge to transformation and positive change. Fortunately, this is no longer an issue in OTE and KL. Also after coming from WP after visiting friends on N 5th to KL a few weeks ago it felt like coming to Dublin (coming home), because of the quiet nature over here (not always but most of the time). My concern is that unlike VV and IV not sure yuppies will ever want to live so close to campus in WP with the transient population. Also if they could dry up WP like they have done and continue to do in OTE (no carryout booze corner vendors) it might have a better chance – these carryouts (99%) are magnets for drug dealing, black gangs, fencing stolen goods and prostitution (TRUE). You don’t find them in the heart of GV, VV and IV (anymore) and they are steadily being banished from OTE, which is why these neighborhoods have transformed from hoods into desirable places to live…IMHO

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

(LOL)

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    (LOL)

LOL (TRUE)…IMHO

Summer Teen Employment Program (STEP) is kicking off! Teens 14-18 from qualifying households (receive OWF cash assistance) are eligible for an eight-week paid internship experience. For more info, please see our site:

http://www.godmanguild.org/youth-family-services/summer-teen-employment-program-s-t-e-p-2011/

berdawn

Reminder for WP residents: this Wednesday at 6:30 is the monthly Civic Assn meeting.

Schoenbaum Family Center (aka Weinland Park Elementary School)
    hope to see you there!

the_linotypist
    Participant

I am the single parent of a 13-year-old daughter, and I have fallen way out of love with Weinland Park.

We moved there in October, and I was determined to see past the crime and the bad reputation and accentuate the positive–near bus lines (I do not drive), close to OSU, short commute to my job downtown, etc. Plus, it is close to the Sporeprint Infoshop, which is an invaluable resource for community-based activities such as the Really, Really Free Market, its lending library, and Food Not Bombs’ free vegan meals.

All that came crashing down when I was mugged on July 14 by two kids. I was walking from the Summit Ave. bus stop. I passed by the D & J Carryout, and, as I was walking east on E. 8th Ave., two kids jumped me, threw me to the pavement, and began punching and kicking me, demanding money. A low-flying plane scared them off–these morons must have thought it was a police helicopter. I’m just thankful my daughter was not with me.

Why do the leaders and residents of Weinland Park have a shrugging “oh, well” attitude about the drug activity and crime centered around the D & J? Can’t the so-called “community leaders” grow a pair and take action to close the place down? Residents are becoming equally complacent about the string of arsons on N. 5th St. I am seen as a freak at the D & J (which I will patronize no more) because–horror of horrors–I go in there to buy soda pop.

berdawn

I hope you are doing OK after being assaulted. There is little that can be done about the D&J (or Kelly’s). the owners do not want additional police intervention and attempts to revoke their liquor license have been unsuccessful.

jimbach
    Participant

the_linotypist, check your message box.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Really sorry to hear about the mugging, but glad that you weren’t hurt further. :(

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

There has been a string of muggings recently, much as you have described. These have been closer to high street and in the IV area mostly. I know the CPD is very aware of it and will hopefully get those who are commiting these crimes. It is terrible that a few people can create such havoc for an entire area. I heard it has been groups of teens (2-5 people) who are targeting people who are by themselves or in couples.

labi
    Participant

I wish I could think of something constructive to say. There have been a number of things done to help make that corner safer, with more in the works. I live around the corner from the D&J and have seen the loitering and threatening sidewalk behavior right around the store decrease significantly over the past 9 months. Not that that would make you feel any better right now, but perhaps less powerless if you knew. If you’d like to talk more, please pm me. I’d be happy to tell you what I know.

the_linotypist
    Participant

About a month before my mugging, I had another experience that made me want to leave Weinland Park forever.

Late one Sunday afternoon, I was walking home from Kroger to the half-double on N. 6th St. where my daughter and I live. On the street corner were five or six kids, ranging in age from four to about 11. I was walking up the street when one little boy, six at the very most, ran up to me and hit me with his fist, and then ran away giggling. It didn’t hurt, of course, but in what other neighborhood would a kid even consider doing that? I’m sure his friends dared him to, but all he had to say was “No”.

The children who dared him also don’t realize how lucky the boy was. The next person he does that to could easily beat him to a pulp or pull a weapon on him. What is it about the neighborhood that breeds such disrespect at such a young age? (I don’t mean “respect for elders” necessarily, but the simple respect that people should have for one another.

Why are you surprised this happens when you move into the ghetto? Sure it is getting a whole lot better, but it is still the ghetto.

Get yourself some mace, pepperspray and a taser! That’s the only thing that might teach these brazen kids a lesson…ain’t happening at home!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast said:
    Get yourself some mace, pepperspray and a taser! That’s the only thing that might teach these brazen kids a lesson…ain’t happening at home!

Thinking that macing and/or tazing a 6 year old may not be the best idea in any circumstance.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION