Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 579 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Weinland Park has some great assets, location, location, location ( promximity to OSU, VV and and IV (good housing stock). The problem is the density, black gangs, black mothers on Medicaid…

KLUE, I respect your strong feelings on these issues, but WP is 25% vacant and only 50% African-American, so I don’t think it’s accurate to say the neighborhood’s defining problems are density and black gangsta/poverty culture.

It’s not that those problems don’t exist, but in some ways I think a bigger problem is that not enough people (inside and outside WP) realize our neighborhood is not what it was 10 or 15 years ago.

yaysockpuppet
    Participant

Hey, just want to chime in to say that I LOVE Weinland Park and all of the quirkyness and close-to-everythingness that it has. And if you want a pretty good deal on a house in the ‘hood, I’m moving at the end of the month and just happen to have one for sale that I put on Craig’s List yesterday. It’s at http://columbus.craigslist.org/reo/2058994129.html (Walker, am I allowed to do this? You can totally virtually bitch-slap me if I’m breaking a CU rule).

Here’s a quote about WP that that came out of my boyfriend that I think is the funniest thing ever…
    “Where else can you see a man wearing JUST a robe, a kid playing “toro” with oncoming traffic, and two raccoons fist fighting all before you get to fifth street?”

yaysockpuppet
    Participant

Hey, just want to chime in to say that I LOVE Weinland Park and all of the quirkyness and close-to-everythingness that it has. And if you want a pretty good deal on a house in the ‘hood, I’m moving at the end of the month and just happen to have one for sale that I put on Craig’s List yesterday. It’s at http://columbus.craigslist.org/reo/2058994129.html (Walker, am I allowed to do this? You can totally virtually bitch-slap me if I’m breaking a CU rule).

Here’s a quote about WP that that came out of my boyfriend that I think is the funniest thing ever…
    “Where else can you see a man wearing JUST a robe, a kid playing “toro” with oncoming traffic, and two raccoons fist fighting all before you get to fifth street?”

yaysockpuppet
    Participant

Sorry for the double post. I’m not too forum savvy, and I have no idea how to remove the extra.

rory
    Participant

yaysockpuppet wrote >>

I just hope you’re going to move to one of the soon-to-be renovated and available for pennies-on-the-dollar houses on Hamlet, Fifth and Sixth.

yaysockpuppet
    Participant

While I love the neighborhood, I will be temporarily defecting to Old Towne East. I know, BLASPHEMY! It will be a while before I’m ready to be a homeowner again. I’m sad I never got to meet you guys at one of the meetups, Rory. My neighbors say such nice things about you and your wife.

berdawn

cbus11 wrote >>
    At one point Harrison West* was full of section 8 housing. I would like to think that there is a lot of income diversity there, but it seems to have become fairly homogenous. I think rising property values and taxes did that. Granted – Harrison West is now a more desirable nieghborhood to live in for everyone.
    *similar in a lot of ways to WP in Godman Guild and Wagenbrenner involvement

I think the fact that the Wagenbrenner project in HW was market rate owners rather than subsidized low income renters may change the outcome.

cbus11

@Berdawn

Wondering what will qualify the low income renters at the Wagenbrenner Columbus Coated developement? Will they take section 8 vouchers?

I am also wondering what will be the be the qualifications for the houses they are rehabing? I had thought they were being fairly liberal (ie a middle class person or family could buy them).

thanks

berdawn

cbus11 wrote >>

@Berdawn

Wondering what will qualify the low income renters at the Wagenbrenner Columbus Coated developement? Will they take section 8 vouchers?
    I am also wondering what will be the be the qualifications for the houses they are rehabing? I had thought they were being fairly liberal (ie a middle class person or family could buy them).
    thanks

None of the homes will be sold for 15 years (similar to the Windsor Terrrace/Rosewind units).

Rents are based on Columbus’ median income so anyone who wants to rent would be able to do so. Section 8 vouchers are accepted at the discretion of the property owner, so it is possible the new development will take them but I don’t know if they have stated one way or the other. Anyone else more familiar with what they’ve stated?

SusanB
    Participant

Yeah, it sounds like these are tax credit funded. Our experience with that has been with CHP and it is almost always section 8 voucher and frankly the tenants have been terrible.

rory
    Participant

As I understand it the rehab houses will go to people at 120 percent of AMI, which isn’t bad. The tax credit ones go to a range of incomes and are fairly low. I don’t know about the Section 8 vouchers. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and at least it’s in East Weinland Park.

rory
    Participant

Who knows maybe 40 artists will move into the tax credit houses. It’s a hop and skip from Wonderland.

cbus11

@Labi

Here is some data on the nieghborhood, other hoods can be searched also:

Weinland Park:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Weinland-Park-Columbus-OH.html

Harrison West (post gentrification):

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Harrison-West-Columbus-OH.html

labi
    Participant

cbus11 wrote >>

@Labi

Here is some data on the nieghborhood, other hoods can be searched also:
    Weinland Park:
    http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Weinland-Park-Columbus-OH.html
    Harrison West (post gentrification):
    http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Harrison-West-Columbus-OH.html

Whew, that’s a LOT of data! Thanks, cbus11.

labi
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

cbus11 wrote >>

@Berdawn

Wondering what will qualify the low income renters at the Wagenbrenner Columbus Coated developement?
    thanks

Anyone else more familiar with what they’ve stated?

The rehab houses will be 120% AMI (as Rory said above), which is $65,880/yr for a family of two and $82,320/yr for a family of four. These are the ones that are scattered pretty much throughout the neighborhood, including a couple on Hamlet.

The 40 lease-purchase houses will be 35-60% area median income (according to last housing committee report), which in 2010 is $19,215-$32,940 for a family of 2 and $24,010-$41,160 for a family of 4. The manager will be NRP, a company out of Cleveland (not CHP). I believe NRP has another development like this in Franklinton? (Not sure.)

And just to clarify for those who don’t follow every twist and turn of WP real estate developments – these lease-purchase houses will be developed adjacent to the main Columbus Coated Fabrics site, but are not part of the main Wagenbrenner development, which will be a regular old privately funded development, as far as I know. The full site is way, way bigger than the adjacent lease-purchase section.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: