Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 579 total)
  • Author

berdawn

laChewla wrote >>
    As Berdawn mentioned, The Guild has moved twice already. It was founded in “Flytown” in the 1910s. Moved to a Harrison West location shortly after, then moved to its current location in the early 1980s after identifying the area east of High Street as an emerging area of social and economic distress.
    Do you really think they would be unwilling to move again if their ultimate goal is to improve the neighborhood? Furthermore, they not only service Weinland Park, but also Milo-Grogan, Italian Village and Linden. I can understand that they aren’t directly helping YOU. But there’s a lot more to the neighborhood than your personal needs…clearly you have it together. These people don’t.
    Next summer, go enjoy some vegetables from the free portion of their community garden, or go volunteer your services instead of bashing them.

I have not bashed their services nor any of the staff. I very clearly stated they provide much needed services to many of the residents. Their refusal to see that mandating all current subsidized housing remain so that they can maintain their client base (obviously, they are familiar with this scenario) only condemns their clients to live in a neighborhood with very significant problems. Godman Guild is only one of many social service organizations that feed on the poverty of WP.

berdawn

beersie1 wrote >>

Do you know who owns the rowhouses between 6th and 7th? I heard OSU.
    Hopefully the Wagenbrenner development / new Kroger, etc. will jump start some activity and get some of these slum lords to cash out. There are a lot of beautiful houses sitting vacant that just need some love.

Not sure which one’s you mean. do you have an address?

beersie1
    Participant

They are right across from the school on Summit. Address’s are in the 1300’s I believe. Was just curious as to whether or not they are section 8, or what the deal is with them.
    Hey Rory- where abouts in WP are you? On Summit?

berdawn

beersie1 wrote >>
    They are right across from the school on Summit. Address’s are in the 1300’s I believe. Was just curious as to whether or not they are section 8, or what the deal is with them.
    Hey Rory- where abouts in WP are you? On Summit?

If they’re the ones that face summit, they are owned by OCCH (Ohio Capital Corporation for Housing). They are site specific subsidized units. OCCH owns all the site specific subsidized units (all the similar buildings through out the neighborhood, a huge chunk of the housing). Private landlords can choose to accept section 8 vouchers and additionally, their are several buildings that are rented on a master lease to a mental health org who in turn pays the rent for those coming out of rehab.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

It is so interesting to hear the challenges you guys face in this neighborhood. I have been thinking about buying my first home in this area (hamlet?). I would move into a home on 4th or summit but the traffic volume is so high on those streets. If we had some traffic calming in that area I think it would greatly improve the neighborhood. Its really good to go into this with eyes wide open. When is the next civic association meeting beersie?

lifeliberty
    Participant

actually, 4th and summit are great for what they are. you don’t have to live right on 4th or summit, live on a sidestreet if traffic scares you. I lived on Summit for 4-5 years. the ease of getting around the city using those 2 streets is one of the biggest plusses to living in that area.

beersie1
    Participant

Meetings are held the third Monday of every month from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM . At least that’s what it used to be. Rory do you know for sure?
    I haven’t been in awhile but would like to start attending again. Would be fun to plan a little “after meeting” drinks or something with you CU Weinland Park folk. Just a thought.
    Do any of you regularly attend?

rory
    Participant

I attend fairly regularly. The meetings are on the fourth Wednesday of every month at the Schoenbaum Center (better known as the OSU daycare center) at 7th & Summit at 6:30 P.M. upstairs. You’ll be buzzed in at the door.

I’m not sure if it’s been moved this month because that falls on Thanksgiving Eve. When I find out I’ll post it.

After meeting cocktails with fellow CU’ers would be fun. I’m in for that.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys and gals. Any other truths I should know before making the leap? Given all the challenges, I am still undeterred. Am I crazy?

theyellowdog

mrsgeedeck wrote >>
    and having your neighborhood treated like a garbage dump/parking lot by alumni and random asshole suburbanites on OSU football Saturdays.

I think these idiots are worse on Saturdays then the students.

jimbach
    Participant

beersie1 wrote >>
    Do any of you regularly attend?

Our neighbor Ahmed regularly harangues me that I should attend, but my past attempts at involvement have not been met with success. My experience is that the people who run the meetings don’t welcome the involvement of people who own property and live in Weinland Park; they prefer a more patron-client arrangement.

Berdawn was on the University Area Commission for several years. I’m sure if one of you bought her a few cocktails she could tell you some horror stories about microlocal politics.

Bristol Bar

Why not go to the meeting and them come on down to Bristol afterwards…I’d love to hear and meet others in the neighborhood.

jimbach
    Participant

Bristol Bar wrote >>
    Why not go to the meeting and them come on down to Bristol afterwards…I’d love to hear and meet others in the neighborhood.

I think that’s a great idea. I haven’t been to Bristol since right after you opened (although a friend of mine mentioned that he and I should attend ‘Manchester Mondays’ or whatever its called.)

rory
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>

Bristol Bar wrote >>

I think that’s a great idea. I haven’t been to Bristol since right after you opened (although a friend of mine mentioned that he and I should attend ‘Manchester Mondays’ or whatever its called.)

That is a good idea. Community togetherness.

rory
    Participant

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    Thanks for the info guys and gals. Any other truths I should know before making the leap? Given all the challenges, I am still undeterred. Am I crazy?

Hamlet is nice but I might be biased ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION