Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 579 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

Yes, that WAS a fun rally. I was there for awhile. It would be neat to have a DJ or band play on that patio sometime. It’s big enough for a good-sized party or gathering.

Angel was cool, but her business dried up when the new barbershop opened up by Kelly’s. If not a coffee shop, an art studio/gallery is very possible.

Daz wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    my posse’s on broadway.

:( I Miss Broadway.
    Dicks is the place where the cool hang out.
    my input:
    Most people don’t snitch because they don’t trust cops. All it takes is one excessive force scenario.
    It’s tough to gentrify where the section 8 resides.
    I’m pretty sure everyone, including the corner kids, would like to see less bullets flying. It’s bad for families. It’s bad for everything.
    I used to love picking up singles. It was great when you only had 50 cents.
    Want to see some turn around in your neighborhood? Have some cops walk a beat and talk to the old ladies. Like north4thlikeme says, those ladies will snitch all day, and it keeps an eye on the traps.

good point, and I have something to add to that. I remember maybe 5 years ago sitting on the stoop on summit and 7th in the Broad street cribs aka CPO joints. Me and my boy are sittin on the stoop drinkin a beer, smokin a square. Police roll up, and hop out the car, we like wtf, we aint doin shit. they askin us if we live there, and we like yea (both of us stayed there off and on, but technically because of restrictions on cpo cribs, neither of us lived there really”. asks for our id’s blah blah blah, then we like nah we dont live here, but his sister stays here. police like where she at? we like upstairs in the crib puttin the baby to sleep. blah blah blah we gettin into it with them, they run 50’s on us. they tellin us in order for us to sit on the stoop, his sister, the person on the lease has to be outside. she hears the comotion pokes her head out the upstairs window like wtf goin on. she tellin them wtf we are, and they like nope you have to be sitting with them, in order for them to sit on your stoop. she like yo im puttin the baby to bed. we all yellin now, im like yo look, thats why motherfuckers shoot yall in the head, cause you come around just to fuck with people for nothing. back in the 50s yall would walk the beat, talk to the residents get to know them whatever. yall pulled up for no reason, just to fuck with us. they said soemthing about CPO contacting them to check on the residences, and woo woo woo. thats the point man police just fuck with folks, then wonder why the same folks dont wanna snitch to them, and wonder why they get shot.

BigJuice

Again man. I don’t come here for this.
    But, validating cops getting killed? B/C they ran your digits to check for warrants?
    This Us vs. the Cops thing doesn’t work. This ain’t Serpico. For all they knew you were trespassing. CPO’s contract mandates they keep non-tenants off the premises, and the cops are more than happy to oblige. You’d rather have your sister living in a Broad St. Mgmt. place (the previous owners)??–those places were absolute crapholes; not saying CPO’s perfect, but at least they’re trying.

north4thlikeme wrote >> we all yellin now, im like yo look, thats why motherfuckers shoot yall in the head, cause you come around just to fuck with people for nothing. back in the 50s yall would walk the beat, talk to the residents get to know them whatever. yall pulled up for no reason, just to fuck with us. they said soemthing about CPO contacting them to check on the residences, and woo woo woo. thats the point man police just fuck with folks, then wonder why the same folks dont wanna snitch to them, and wonder why they get shot.

goldenidea
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, CPO’s leases, or whatever document that defines the terms of residency for their tax-payer-subsided tenants, forbid consumption of any kind of alcohol on the exterior of their premises. Imagine the encroahment on personal freedom that is! So you can’t post up with an open 40 or a pint of wine on any CPO porch, even if you’re the tenant. When you do, you’ll likely get harrassed by the cops. If you owned property there you’d know why they want it that way.

If you object to these terms and this kind of treatment, get straight, get educated, get a job, and get housing that you pay for yourself in a part of town with less subsidized housing.

If the police don’t continually harrass and run 50s on people that are partying, loitering, hanging out, or even walking the streets of WP, pretty soon there’s a critical mass of unlawful s**t going on, and someone eventually gets victimized in much worse ways, like getting shot. So as unfair as it may sound, it’s really for the better of those that are profiled. It comes with the territory of being a low-life, looking like a low-life, and/or hanging with low-lives, and an area teeming with low-lives. (Low-lives = people who aren’t supporting themselves (legally) and conseqently are on the take, living the thug life, and living in denial/justifying it all by claiming they are oppressed.)

When the cops pull up, if you not holding anything illegal, are not doing anything unlawful, and don’t have warrant, there’s nothing to worry about, right? It’s just a friendly chat with the babysitter, I mean the law.

Wow, wow, wow, I dont know what to say.

1. CPO is better than Broad St.
    2. No one was advocating cops getting shot, but they have to understand you that you harass people, people get mad, and do things out of anger.
    3. that is fine they were checking who we were, but after we told them who we were, that should of been it, and they should of left. But no them boys, wanna harass people and sit there, and talk shit for 30 minutes. no reason for that, its retarded. There is a difference in doing your job, and being a dickhead. As for the rest of your post, I just cant say shit, but I wish you would say that to people in the short, and tell them they are low lives. You wont though, we all know that. you would rather bitch on the internet bout it.

Also, not to drag her or him into the shit, but berdawn was talkin bout how they walk down the street with an open bottle of wine. Are they a low life as well? I mean that is openly breaking the law right? While sitting on a stoop drinkin a heini is not breaking the law.

goldenidea
    Participant

Driking a heini outdoors is breaking lease terms if you’re on CPO property. Indirectly, the cops have an interest in making sure CPO terms are enforced.

As for the rest of your post, I just cant say shit, but I wish you would say that to people in the short, and tell them they are low lives. You wont though, we all know that. you would rather bitch on the internet bout it.

Who’s “we all” and what do you “know”?

Actually I’ve accused quite a few people in WP of being low-lives, deadbeat, crack-heads, and worse, often before I evict them.

ok folk. you tell that to single mothers, and actual crackheads, not to anyone that would do you harm.. you are the loser folk. Taking advantage of the down trodden.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Alright, everyone. Keep it civil. There’s no need for personal insults here. Take it somewhere else if you can’t behave like adults.

labi
    Participant

<<(both of us stayed there off and on, but technically because of restrictions on cpo cribs, neither of us lived there really>>
    You knew you weren’t really supposed to be there. So first you lied about it to the cop, then changed your story. How was the cop supposed to feel about that?

<<they tellin us in order for us to sit on the stoop, his sister, the person on the lease has to be outside. she hears the comotion pokes her head out the upstairs window like wtf goin on. she tellin them wtf we are, and they like nope you have to be sitting with them, in order for them to sit on your stoop. she like yo im puttin the baby to bed.>>
    Simple response: You just go inside, and the cop leaves. End of confrontation. But you escalated. This was your move, not the cop’s.

<<im like yo look, thats why motherfuckers shoot yall in the head>>
    What on earth would cause you to say something like that? Major escalation, again by you, not by the cop. It would take a superhuman to remain civil after someone just told them that they deserved to get shot in the head.

<<they said soemthing about CPO contacting them to check on the residences, and woo woo woo. thats the point man police just fuck with folks>>
    They weren’t just fucking with you. There were there because the landlord asked them to help enforce the terms of the lease, which your friend’s sister agreed to honor when she signed it.

From my side of the cultural divide, it just looks like two guys picking a fight with a cop for no reason and then blaming it all on the cop. It would look just as senseless to me if two college kids did it.

TaraK
    Participant

goldenidea wrote >>
    From what I’ve heard, CPO’s leases, or whatever document that defines the terms of residency for their tax-payer-subsided tenants, forbid consumption of any kind of alcohol on the exterior of their premises. Imagine the encroahment on personal freedom that is! So you can’t post up with an open 40 or a pint of wine on any CPO porch, even if you’re the tenant. When you do, you’ll likely get harrassed by the cops. If you owned property there you’d know why they want it that way.
    If you object to these terms and this kind of treatment, get straight, get educated, get a job, and get housing that you pay for yourself in a part of town with less subsidized housing.
    If the police don’t continually harrass and run 50s on people that are partying, loitering, hanging out, or even walking the streets of WP, pretty soon there’s a critical mass of unlawful s**t going on, and someone eventually gets victimized in much worse ways, like getting shot. So as unfair as it may sound, it’s really for the better of those that are profiled. It comes with the territory of being a low-life, looking like a low-life, and/or hanging with low-lives, and an area teeming with low-lives. (Low-lives = people who aren’t supporting themselves (legally) and conseqently are on the take, living the thug life, and living in denial/justifying it all by claiming they are oppressed.)
    When the cops pull up, if you not holding anything illegal, are not doing anything unlawful, and don’t have warrant, there’s nothing to worry about, right? It’s just a friendly chat with the babysitter, I mean the law.

People experience police differently. Being able to assume that police will believe treat you fairly and aim to protect you isn’t the experience that all people have and is primarily a middle-class white privilege in many parts of America. People shouldn’t have to feel that they’re going to be intimidated or bullied by police (whose salaries are paid by their taxes) for hanging out on a family member’s porch.

When I moved here, I had some incredibly positive experiences with Columbus police. I was impressed. More recently, I’ve watched them interact with youth in the area around 6th (I never know where the neighborhood delineations are) and I’ve seen some unfortunate situations. I don’t think demonizing police ever serves a purpose, just as demonizing anyone is silly. Just saying.

labi wrote >>
    <<(both of us stayed there off and on, but technically because of restrictions on cpo cribs, neither of us lived there really>>
    You knew you weren’t really supposed to be there. So first you lied about it to the cop, then changed your story. How was the cop supposed to feel about that?
    <<they tellin us in order for us to sit on the stoop, his sister, the person on the lease has to be outside. she hears the comotion pokes her head out the upstairs window like wtf goin on. she tellin them wtf we are, and they like nope you have to be sitting with them, in order for them to sit on your stoop. she like yo im puttin the baby to bed.>>
    Simple response: You just go inside, and the cop leaves. End of confrontation. But you escalated. This was your move, not the cop’s.
    <<im like yo look, thats why motherfuckers shoot yall in the head>>
    What on earth would cause you to say something like that? Major escalation, again by you, not by the cop. It would take a superhuman to remain civil after someone just told them that they deserved to get shot in the head.
    <<they said soemthing about CPO contacting them to check on the residences, and woo woo woo. thats the point man police just fuck with folks>>
    They weren’t just fucking with you. There were there because the landlord asked them to help enforce the terms of the lease, which your friend’s sister agreed to honor when she signed it.
    From my side of the cultural divide, it just looks like two guys picking a fight with a cop for no reason and then blaming it all on the cop. It would look just as senseless to me if two college kids did it.

pickin a fight wit a cop? How? When we did nothing, absolutely nothing illegal. why were we being run for warrants, when doing nothing at all?

i dont pick no fights wit the police im smarter than that because you cant win. You either end up A) getting arrested then spending time, and money proving you were innocent, but you still went to jail, and had to throw money to a lawyer. or B) you get the shit beat out of you.

you cant win fighting wit them.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Really? That family member lives in housing that has rules. My apartment complex has strict rules about dog poop. If my cousin came to stay with me and let her dog poop all over the place, I would expect to have some sort of repercussions. Rules are rules. The inability to follow those rules results in less than desirable conversations with those enforcing the rules. In the case referred to above, the cops are enforcing the rules. Coddling anyone in to thinking that is not the way it should be (“People shouldn’t have to feel that they’re going to be intimidated or bullied by police (whose salaries are paid by their taxes) for hanging out on a family member’s porch.”) only furthers the problem.

If you want your family members to be able to hang out on your porch and drink, live in a house or apt where that kind of behavior is permitted. Otherwise, I’d be making sure anyone I had over was following the rules so that I didn’t get kicked to the curb!!

goldenidea
    Participant

north4thlikeme: Based on your mentality and the fact you don’t live in WP anymote, I have to say that WP IS getting better. With you gone, there’s one less of the kind of people we don’t need living here. If ya wanna be a ‘banger or a thug, or spend your days posted up waiting for your check to arrive, you can do that in any other hell-hole corner of the city you want to. Leave a place like WP to people who want to improve themselves and/or the neighborhood. That’s WP’s future. It’s too well located, too close to OSU and the rest of the (functional) SN to house the number of lost people is has in the recent past. So roll on, and hey, hit that stem for me will ya?

berdawn

north4thlikeme wrote >>
    Also, not to drag her or him into the shit, but berdawn was talkin bout how they walk down the street with an open bottle of wine. Are they a low life as well? I mean that is openly breaking the law right? While sitting on a stoop drinkin a heini is not breaking the law.

well, it’s a her…and let me share with you some magic words–I’m sorry officer. If an officer should approach me while I’m drinking a glass of wine or a beer while walking down the street, I would start there. Then I’d offer my ID and point to my house and wave to my neighbor on her porch where I’m heading, perhaps comment on not drinking alone. I’d compliment her on what a great job the police are doing and how much I appreciated their quick response time to whoever complained.

I can drink whatever I want on MY porch. I can be polite to the police who do their jobs if I’m walking down summit with a champagne glass in one hand and an open bottle in the other.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: