Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Weinland Park Neighbors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Weinland Park Neighbors

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 579 total)
  • Author

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I’m planning on going to the Civic Assn and Bristol. It should be interesting.

berdawn

I would love to be there (really)…but I have to go out of town for a couple of days and need to pack, etc tonight. If anyone still has an OSU ID, please vote for my neighbors though at 1481 Summit:
    http://offcampus.osu.edu/lights/

beersie1
    Participant

coolbuckeye- I’ll be the guy in the denim-like shirt ordering a beer and a shot for $5 (not sure how many others are showing up..) Fill me in on the civic assn meeting!

BigJuice

Thx Rory for putting this up. I (obviously) can’t make it tonight. Where is the schedule posted? Is it just the 1st Tues. of every Month? I can’t find a website, etc. for the Assoc…

labi
    Participant

There’s a website in progress for the civic association, but until then there’s no place where meetings are posted as far as I know. Usually they’re on the 4th Wed of each month, but Dec is being skipped, so the next one is going to be Wed Jan 27 – 6:30 at the Schoenbaum Center (OSU daycare).

goldenidea wrote >>
    Sam’s Carryout at Summit and E6th Ave may be hard to lose. This property’s owners (ie. “Sam” and his wife(?)) also operate the carryout. So it’s value to them as their source of livlihood probably exceeds any price anyone could/would/should offer them for the real estate. I know of at least one relative newcomer to the immediate area, someone who has done considerable renovating, who did extend what was likely a very generous offer to Sam. That offer was not accepted. So I don’t believe that Sam is really interested in selling, as least not yet. Perhaps the day will come when he’ll convert it to a coffee shop or something, but selling beer, wine, cigs, groceries, and lottery tickets continues to be a profitable business in this kind of setting.

I don’t think he has to move, but how about just cleaning up the shitty, rundown exterior of his building? That would never fly in the Short North or German Village, so why is it OK here?

rory
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>

goldenidea wrote >>
    Sam’s Carryout at Summit and E6th Ave may be hard to lose. This property’s owners (ie. “Sam” and his wife(?)) also operate the carryout. So it’s value to them as their source of livlihood probably exceeds any price anyone could/would/should offer them for the real estate. I know of at least one relative newcomer to the immediate area, someone who has done considerable renovating, who did extend what was likely a very generous offer to Sam. That offer was not accepted. So I don’t believe that Sam is really interested in selling, as least not yet. Perhaps the day will come when he’ll convert it to a coffee shop or something, but selling beer, wine, cigs, groceries, and lottery tickets continues to be a profitable business in this kind of setting.

I don’t think he has to move, but how about just cleaning up the shitty, rundown exterior of his building? That would never fly in the Short North or German Village, so why is it OK here?

I bring up that same question just as often as I can although I’m reserving my ire for the D & J Carryout. It seems to have more gunfire. It’s true though that if those stores were plopped in the middle of any where else they’d be shut down in 10 minutes.

I’m with you Rory on the D&J Carryout. It doesn’t take much thought to realize this is a key hangout place for the bad activity of the neighborhood.

The only way I’ve thought of trying to go after them legally, is how they sell single smokes, aka “squares” from the individual packs. Highly illegal as it shorts tax revenue, and you know how this state/city is about getting it’s tax!

Just planting a seed, that’s all.

Hope you had fun at Bristol last night.

labi
    Participant

Three of us did go to the Bristol Bar after the civic assoc mtg. It was about 8:50 when we got there. The front door was open but when we went inside, the staff said “we’re not open” and turned their backs on us. So back out into the pouring rain we went. Not the kind of experience that would make me return…

goldenidea
    Participant

It WOULD be nice if Sam made some improvments to the exterior of his building, but it’s now the wrong time of year to ask for that. I know people who have done a few repairs and maintenance tasks for him. He has a reputation of being “tight” in compensating for work performed… if you know what I mean. Code enforcement probably isn’t easy to keep up with in this area.

The problem with these carryout operators is that they are driven pretty much by profit and profit alone. They don’t care that much about the neighborhood or general welfare. I have some measure of respect for them because they are risk takers; they are willing to operate in a dangerous environment and serve a market that few others would risk serving. There are a lot of gun-toting customers and robbers. For example, back in ’95, the former owner of D&J was shot dead in his store AFTER he gave up the cash in his drawer. More recently, a carryout guy at 3rd and Summit was also shot dead.

I not trying to defend them, but I think it would be hard to get the police or city to come down on D&J for selling squares. I think it’s pretty common knowledge that goes on. The police and city probably have bigger crime issues to deal with when they are motivated to deal with anything in Weinland Park. While it’s probably fair to view D&J and Sam as detremental to an improving neighborhood, they do serve the majority of the populace in ways that no one else is willing to. They make good money doing it, but they do it. I suspect the city and police see it that way too or they’d move against them. A lot of these people don’t have cars and can’t get around very easily (i.e. truge over to Kroger), so if you close the carryouts how and where do they shop?

misskitty
    Participant

I use to live in the Dead end of 6th near the carry out. It was a shit hole flat out punks living a crossed the court and it was a mess.
    One night I was chilling up stairs and I thought I heard odd noises like shopping carts. I proceeded to look out the window and see about 20 people that lived around there hiding in bushes and on corners keeping a look out as five of them UN-loaded cart after cart of merchandise from that corner store. I called the police they never came.

goldenidea
    Participant

The segment of Summit from Sam’s down to 5th Ave has gone through a lot of changes over the past 5 years or so. The housing on the east side of Summit was first kind of a normal “hood” scene. Not too bad, but not great. Then about 4 years ago it went really downhill. There were lots of dope boys posted up and some big set-outs. I remember one property owner tried to fence off his front yard and people came and tore the fence out!

The three houses directly south of Sam’s, on the west side of Summit, used to be owned by “the judge”. He didn’t seem to do a real good job of keeping a lid on them. That’s the area you’re referring to. There appeared to be a lot of dealing and bad activities taking place. But more recently, this area has really improved. The east side of Summit seems to have much more civilized residents. On the west side, the judge sold his houses and the new owners did a ton of improvments. They are now owner occupied. And it appears that Bob Shilling has converted most of his housing south of that out of mental health, and in to market rete and even to condos.

Many areas of Summit, north of 7th, also seem to be improving. I think most of the vacant houses directly north of Sam’s have recently changed hands. It shouldn’t be too long before they improve too. Now, if N4th Street could make the same progress…

rory
    Participant

The D & J and the other stores just signed a “Good Neighbor Agreement” with the University Area Commission where they promised not to sell single cigarettes or liquor to the kids. The almighty profit motive does seem pretty strong. Occasionally there’s talk of making the precinct dry. I wouldn’t feel bad for owners. Most of them live in Hillard or Dublin. They can reopen there as far as I’m concerned. The only one that told them to get stuffed was the liquor store on 4th and 5th. I also thought there was a no loitering zone around the D & J and if you called the police would go and shoo everybody away, although the police haven’t been on it lately. So if you’re driving back to Clintonville on N. 4th help us all out by making the call. Otherwise we’re going to make it two-way with a ten minute stop light there and some soccer mom from Worthington can deal with it.

As for the guy that got shot at the store on Summit and 3rd. I’d always heard that was a family blood feud thing they hired some chump to commit.

goldenidea
    Participant

That Good Neighbor Agreement sounds like a step in the right direction. I’ve always been surprised how much loitering goes on in front of D&J, but I don’t think the owners can do much about it. Kelly’s used to be the same way, but not some much anymore. I never heard what the circumstances of the Summit & 3rd shooting were. Now I do. Thanks!

A lot of you may live in the neighborhood, but I can obviously tell you don’t really know what was going on. I stayed on summit and 7th some years back, right after they remodeled the cribs there. Sam always been a bitch and always will be. Sam the only corner store owner that tries to charge you tax on a 99 cent beer, every other store will charge you the buck and that it, thats just how it always been wit a hood store. Second of all he will bitch if you got jus tthe dollar and not the 6 extra cents, and will expect it next time you come in, and he real stingy giving out credit even to those that shop in his store 4 times a day. Most every other store I know of gives credit if you broke that day, if you shop there all the time. I remember when they broke in his store, and took all the t shirts, and mad boxes of newports and mad blunts, and wraps and shit.

Second those cribs cloes down to bristol on the east side, when they got a lil grimey it wasnt “dope boys”. it was a few young ignorant kid that might sell some crack here and there, and they smoked weed, but hardly “dope boys”. the crib that got shot the fuck up there and was boarded up was shot up by that nigga corey, courtney’s brother who is sommers baby dad. Corey hardly a dope boy just a young ignorant kid, well not a kid now, but he was like 21 back then. Him and this other boy Mario, and coreys and courtneys other brother craig was the ones causin a lot of the shit there. Few otehr kids too, but mostly them. The crib belonged to a girl and her kids and they used to all kick it there. Them bum niggas are not dope boys in the least, young kids who get money sellin a dime ehre and there, and breakin in stores and shit, robbin here and there, but mostly bums that bum around smokin dimes of weed, and shit, tryin to hollar at hood rats all the time. Neither are even from the short, or weiland park as yall call it. Corey from linden, and mario from the east side i think, not sure. They was just stayin over there, last time i heard, they was trying to claim crip. Not dope boys and neither them nor any kid over in those cribs back then were anything to fear.

single cigarettes are not “squares” a square a cigarette period, singles are loosies or just singles. square a general term. rofl at tryin to get corner stores to stop sellin loosies, thats just bitch shit. Some times people in the hood only got a buck, and they want 3 cigarettes. i love how yall liberal whites are, yall crack me the fuck up.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 579 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: