Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Website coders... please humor me

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Website coders… please humor me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Trixie
    Participant

So, I just had a website built and they screwed it up by having ONE word on there that I specifically asked to not be there. Today is my final meeting. They are charging me an extra 500 bucks to change that one word on the site. I want to launch said site in two weeks. I do not want to fight about this. Can someone offer some insight as to how hard it is to change ONE freaking word on a website.

Daz
    Participant

It all depends on where that word is, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter. Someone should be able to change a word out on a website in a matter of minutes most every time.

Trixie
    Participant

Okay, that’s what I thought. They bought the wrong software to build my site. Don’t get me wrong, it still works and will serve my purposes but I am not too happy. I just want to be prepared when I meet with them. Danke

JonMyers
    Participant

Trixie, sounds like a big misunderstanding going on with you and your web partner. Are you able to share a link to this site?

Trixie
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Trixie, sounds like a big misunderstanding going on with you and your web partner. Are you able to share a link to this site?

I just PM’d ya!

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’ve built entire websites for $500. Of course, that was back when I was just trying to get a foothold in the business, but even so:

The company I work for now charges $89/hr for my services. Assuming the toughest situation –the word is part of a compiled file –it still wouldn’t take more than half an hour or so to decompile, change the word and recompile. Further assume a one hour minimum and you still only come out to $89.

Plus, if it was part of your original specifications then it’s their error and they should take care of it, in my opinion.

Of course we’re only hearing one side of the story here, and they may have their reasons, but it doesn’t sound like the way I like to do business.

If you have future website needs and you want to change your designer, please keep us in mind: http://www.nmpconsulting.com

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

*G* I write my HTML in Notepad http://www.sciotoriverfriends.org

groundrules
    Participant

kitoba wrote >>

Plus, if it was part of your original specifications then it’s their error and they should take care of it, in my opinion.

yeah, to me this isn’t a technical issue at all.

mikeenriquez

Unfortunately many web developers can pretty much charge whatever they want if you’re already their client. $500 for changing a single word is an extreme example.

I’ll do it for free given they didn’t do anything to obfuscate the code.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE