Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wearing a gas mask while bicycling

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Wearing a gas mask while bicycling

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Tom Over Tom Over 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Likely, many of us have noticed the bluish mist that automobile headlights illuminate. How about the soot that heavily speckles piles of snow along roads during the winter or cakes on our derailleur gears ?

Keeping my bicycle cleaner would prevent me from continuing to ‘customize’ my pants and the bright yellow cycling jacket I bought recently.

But what can we do about the particles in automobile exhaust that settle in various parts of our respiratory tracts? Has anyone who frequently is a non-motorized user of our roads thought of or actually tried using a gas mask ?

The best website I have found so far on gas masks for bicyclist is at http://totobobo.com/blog/cyclist/.

Maybe I am just reading into things—you tell me– but after bicycling vigorously in moderate to heavy traffic, I tend to get a tight and heavy sensation in my chest and upper back which I associate with some sort of cardiovascular distress (in addition to sometimes getting a raw, tickled feeling in my throat).

I read somewhere that the benzene in automobile exhaust not only is linked to an increased risk for some types of cancer, but it is also a chemical that may somehow disrupt a person’s cardiovascular system.

Some say that traveling in an automobile involves breathing as much, if not more fumes, the key difference being that a person is breathing more deeply while bicycling.

Whatever the case may be, my attempts to use my bicycle as a viable means of transportation (and not just as a work-out tool on the multi-use trails when the weather is nice), has led me to think seriously about wearing a gas mask for at least some parts of my two-wheeled trips.

Being stuck in my car in traffic can be frustrating, but I don’t get the urge to gag.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

What doesn’t kill you…

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    What doesn’t kill you…

…gives you throat cancer.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

It might be a valid concern but who wants to wear a gas mask riding your bike? I mean, you’ll look like a dam fool.

10sun

Porky wrote >>
    It might be a valid concern but who wants to wear a gas mask riding your bike? I mean, you’ll look like a dam fool.

helmets too!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Porky wrote >>
    It might be a valid concern but who wants to wear a gas mask riding your bike?

gas mask, not so much.. The OP seems to have posted something that looks more like particulate masks however.. they seem to be ok…

Loved this picture, btw:

catnfiddle
    Participant

I remember going to Outland (the original one) on a quiet night and seeing a guy there wearing a full-face gas mask, sitting and playing chess. It made me wonder what I was getting into moving here, but the lease was signed.

Stacky

Wow, I’m in awe of their endeavor to cycle around India and China for a year. While I was on a bus in New Delhi it struck a bicyclist, knocking him to the side, and just kept on navigating through traffic. Though I’m even more intimidated by the thought of riding amongst the overloaded trucks on dusty country roads.

I think you raise a good point that concern about our air quality is on the rise and there are products to accomodate the need to actively protect ourselves. We’re not only talking about huge industrialized cities in other nations if your lungs are hurting here at home. Hey – you could try using the mask for your commute, take photos of the filter color throughout the year and share your findings!

JonMyers
    Participant

Same here. In a lot of places I’ve traveled cyclists and scooter riders wear surgical masks.

I kinda like the gas mask aesthetic and the statement it makes. Go for it.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yeah, wear a mask if you want to. It’s not getting in anyone else’s way. Instead of looking at “that funny guy with the mask on”, people could look at “that funny color all the air around us has”. It’s bigger, so it should distract from your sartorial choices. Haha.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Portland? I’ve heard of some people fomenting having a naked bike ride here…. could be fun.

Tenzo
    Participant

trust me, there are plenty of places having naked bike rides.
    The hard part was finding a picture that would not get me a warning.

Riding a bike with a gas mask and certain attire makes you look like a crazy badass. That <1% of motorists who are belligerent will be much less likely to honk or say anything to you. I do know what you’re talking about, especially on some days Downtown when the daily suburban evacuation of the city can make breathing difficult. I just try to maintain a good distance behind other vehicles.

I already brought up the World Naked Bike Ride[/url] and no one was too keen on it, even if we modified it for minimal clothing.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Ehh, balance potential harm with the overall good effects of riding a bike and being physically active.

I also remember seeing something about cyclists being higher than the exhaust where as a car’s intake for your air/heat sits right at the level of the tail pipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: