Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Union County Farm Raided for Marijuana Operation

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Union County Farm Raided for Marijuana Operation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Large pot farm raided in Union County

14 August 2013

Written by MARYSVILLE JOURNAL-TRIBUNE STAFF

UNION COUNTY — An estimated $560,000 in marijuana was seized Tuesday evening in a joint investigation led by local law enforcement agencies.

Law enforcement officers reportedly executed the search warrant at 14950 Fladt Road, which matches the address of Wayward Seed Farms, a Marysville-based organic farm.

READ MORE: http://www.examiner.org/news/26740-large-pot-farm-raided-in-union-county

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Yes, quite shocking. And I hope everyone will reserve judgment until the truth is sorted out and made public. They’ve both always been totally friendly to me (have been buying from them at local farmers markets for years, and this year I signed up for their CSA. I do have to selfishly say that I’m worried about the CSA investment I made this year (no communication on that yet from either Adam or Jaime), but really, that’s the least of my worries – considering how much in lawyers fees it will cost to defend the charges, hopefully that financial burden won’t kill the farm altogether.

joev
    Participant

Wow – that’s so disappointing!

TaraK
    Participant

Whoa! That’s disappointing.

Though it didn’t take me long to think, “So was that an alternative CSA option?”

joev
    Participant

Wayward’s response.[/url]

pmgal
    pmgal
    Participant

Wayward Farm has tweeted:

A note from Wayward Seed Farm…

roy
    Participant

Why the disappointment and shock? It’s weed, it grows like crabgrass, it’s harmless and legal in some states. Cannabis isn’t a big deal, it’s like they brewed some beer during Prohibition, big freaking deal.

Another AP news story published today underscores the alarming waste of Ohio law enforcement resources, while ours are busting little growers Seattle police are handing out bags of Doritos.

Cops dealing Doritos at post-legalization Hempfest http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130815/DA8680VG0.html

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

roy said:
    Why the disappointment and shock?

Yeah, I always kind of assumed there would be a fairly large demographic crossover between CSA purchasers and marijuana advocates anyway! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

roy said:
    …it’s like they brewed some beer during Prohibition, big freaking deal.

From what I’ve read so far, it sounds like the 500+ plants were grown elsewhere and transported there. And that the value was around a half million dollars. That’s not just growing a little weed… that’s a minor logistics hub.

Anyway, I could personally care less about whether or not people want to grow/smoke weed. I think the shock and disappointment comes from the fact that this could shut down their business, which I don’t think anyone wants to see happen. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Yeah, I always kind of assumed there would be a fairly large demographic crossover between CSA purchasers and marijuana advocates anyway! ;)

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

I don’t partake and don’t know current prices, but I want to see the calculation of the half a million dollar value. In huge busts it always seems there is a desire to have a high dollar amount and round up on weights.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    I don’t partake and don’t know current prices, but I want to see the calculation of the half a million dollar value. In huge busts it always seems there is a desire to have a high dollar amount and round up on weights.

I wonder about that, too. If they find 100 knee-high plants, do they place the value at just that, or do they extrapolate to what that number of plants would be worth, if full-grown?

I would guess they go for the highest numbers they can get away with.

groundrules
    Participant

alexs said:
    I wonder about that, too. If they find 100 knee-high plants, do they place the value at just that, or do they extrapolate to what that number of plants would be worth, if full-grown?

I would guess they go for the highest numbers they can get away with.

“At maturity, the estimated value of the plants seized would be approximately $560,000,”

columbusfoodie
    Participant

roy said:
    Why the disappointment and shock? It’s weed, it grows like crabgrass, it’s harmless and legal in some states. Cannabis isn’t a big deal, it’s like they brewed some beer during Prohibition, big freaking deal.

Another AP news story published today underscores the alarming waste of Ohio law enforcement resources, while ours are busting little growers Seattle police are handing out bags of Doritos.

Cops dealing Doritos at post-legalization Hempfest http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130815/DA8680VG0.html

Shocked moreso about how it all went down, not that someone may be growing pot (FWIW, I’m extremely pro-pot, so I wouldn’t have a problem with it even if it turns out that the story is true – hell, I’d probably even join a pot CSA if they ever get around to legalizing it in this bass-ackwards state.

Their follow up post on their blog cleared up any questions I had (mainly about the CSA), and they have my support in this 100%. It totally sucks that they sprung this whole thing on her right in the middle of Dublin Farmers Market. I imagine it was a devastating blow – on top of all the personal upheaval that went on in her life in the past couple of years (per the Dispatch article), now she has this to deal with.

I, for one, will continue buying their produce and subscribe to their CSA as long as they continue to run it. I hope everyone else will do the same, considering the legal bills they likely have to look forward to, the least we could do is keep buying their great stuff.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Coremodels said:

New product line for Pattycake…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: