Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Watering hole with above-average food

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Watering hole with above-average food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author

Hael

DavidF wrote >>
    Oh, and don’t forget the Hey Hey for sauerkraut balls. ummm.

I didn’t know they served food there…its been years since I was at the Hey Hey….my one and only time there, a bonefide bar room brawl broke out, which had nothing to do with me. It sure did leave a lasting impression. (this was mid 90’s or so)

Speaking of sauerkraut balls, Barley’s is pretty good, fairly low cost bar vittles. They grill their wings and do a fine job of it.

maveric1
    Participant

Brewsky’s Pub on Kenny & Henderson. Used to be Pockets where they had the best chicken fingers. If you don’t like their food, you can walk across the street for some sliders at the Castle.

Adie

Some good options (and yes, you really can take the gyros from next door INTO Bob’s Bar which has come in handy on numerous occasions) but this one is a no brainer…the Italian Sub at the India Oak in Clintonville (Oakland Park & Indianola).

The most important part is to not be a pansy and try to order sans anything. The way it’s made is correct, whether you think you have good taste or not.

HeySquare
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

I didn’t know they served food there…its been years since I was at the Hey Hey….my one and only time there, a bonefide bar room brawl broke out, which had nothing to do with me. It sure did leave a lasting impression. (this was mid 90’s or so)

Reminds me of a story. My former next-door neighbor, Phil, had just moved in, just arrived in Columbus from NYC. He was looking for the local pub, and wandered into the Hey Hey. He ordered a beer, and put a bill down on the bar, intending to pay. The bartender brought him back change. Phil pushed the money back at the bartender, and said “I want to pay for my beer.” The bartender said, “You did.”

The beers were so inexpensive, he didn’t even realize he’d paid. He fell in love with the place from that day forward.

DavidF
    Participant

The Hey Hey is the definition of neighborhood watering hole.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

villa nova! plank’s! o’reilly’s! mojoe! blue danube!

dashinhilliard
    Participant

Brazenhead on 5th Avenue – HAPPY HOUR 4 to 7 – savory or bbq wings/50 cents each, addicting homemade potato chips with roasted garlic dip, burger specials on Wednesday, great drink prices including $1 off pints…also a nice patio. Grandview is far superior to old Dublin….yeah it’s a chain, but home grown…
    If you’re in Hilliard – Historic (for Hilliard) Otie’s – nice patio and Otie Baloney with fresh cut fries

deraj1013
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

Speaking of sauerkraut balls, Barley’s is pretty good, fairly low cost bar vittles. They grill their wings and do a fine job of it.

Technically speaking, the only item on the menu at Hey Hey is sauerkraut balls. I’ve heard they’re quite good, although I’m a vegetarian, so don’t quote me on it.

Patch
    Participant

deraj1013 wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

Technically speaking, the only item on the menu at Hey Hey is sauerkraut balls. I’ve heard they’re quite good, although I’m a vegetarian, so don’t quote me on it.

well, they do have chips and pretzels too!

but nothing else cooked.

one other spot for wings, i went to hounddogs with my sis last week, i got pizza, and she got wings.

they were fantastic, some kind of garlic spicy sauce. freaking amazing.

the high beck has great wings too, ask for them extra crispy.

i haven’t been to the low beck in awhile, i don’t really care for the guy bartender there, but they have some pretty good beef jerky!

ohiojimmie
    Participant

I also like Red Door Tavern on W 5th Ave in Grandview. They have good burgers and sandwiches. And there is usually Elevator on tap.

KSquared

KSquared wrote >>
    Hi Beck, German Village, pulled pork sandwich

For shame for misspelling High Beck! I’ve not tried their wings, Patch, but I sure will. They also have a surpisingly good hummus plate. Oh and pretezelrella sticks.

DavidF
    Participant

I’ve always liked the wings at Easy Street. And of course they have saganaki. Flaming cheese is great bar food. Opa!

Raoul Duke
    Participant

Flatiron – Pulled Pork or Szechuan Wings (also the Burger and Oyster Po-Boy)
    O’Reilleys – Pepper Burger or Scott’s Style Wings (it’s a good heat)
    Olde Mohawk – Mother Mohawk (the MoMo-chicken salad and roast beef!)
    Banana Bean – Lobster Hash or Eggplant Fries (with Ya-Ya sauce)
    G&R Tavern, Waldo, OH – Fried Balogna snadwich (but Otie’s in Hilliard aren’t bad)

I’d list the Thurman & Press Grille but I never eat there because there’s never any room.

patient_zero
    Participant

Blake @ Jeni’s Ice Cream told me that The Dube (Blue Danube) has $1 burgers Mondays and Tuesdays.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Mac’s – Short North – Scottish Eggs

Best Wings – Roosters. Get the Donkey mixed w/ Garlic if you like hot! I’d love to say there is a better wing spot, but there isn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE