Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Watering hole with above-average food

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Watering hole with above-average food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author

jennyw
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>
    I can’t take the O’Reilly’s bashing. For the past 10 years, Tom the bartender has been, hands down, the best bartender I’ve encountered. The burgers, the wings, the true alcoholics!

Ha! I think most of it was in the spirit of “tell meatheads Larry’s is a gay bar, so they stay away,” not actual dislike of the place. (Uh, not that folks here are meatheads, but you know what I’m sayin’.)

hivner1

jennyw wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>
    I can’t take the O’Reilly’s bashing. For the past 10 years, Tom the bartender has been, hands down, the best bartender I’ve encountered. The burgers, the wings, the true alcoholics!

Ha! I think most of it was in the spirit of “tell meatheads Larry’s is a gay bar, so they stay away,” not actual dislike of the place. (Uh, not that folks here are meatheads, but you know what I’m sayin’.)

Got it. Yeah, i’d prefer not to see 300 fancy bikes out front- not ’cause imma hater- but they have an ability to unearth a secret dig faster than lightning. BUT, these places need their props and I wanna wander over yonder, across the tracks to try something new.

patient_zero
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>
    Well that reminds me:
    St. James Tavern, order in Adriatico’s to go with your $3.50 pints of good beer.

Hey!

That’s what I said. :)
    I need to see you out and about. We should do this pizzabeer thing sometime. Wooooooo.

Studio 35 has a similar symbiotic relationship with Clintonville Pizza. Easy on the taste buds, if I recall.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>
    Well that reminds me:
    St. James Tavern, order in Adriatico’s to go with your $3.50 pints of good beer.

Hey!
    I need to see you out and about. We should do this pizzabeer thing sometime. Wooooooo.

I need to read more carefully! :)
    I know, I am such a hermit, it’s terrible. Pizzabeer sounds like an awesome idea.

You aren’t a hermit, we’re just rarely in the same place at the same time. We shall organize a pizzabeering. I’m all over it.

DavidF
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>
    If I could start this thread over I would have also excluded short north establishments in general, not because I am against them (I frequent some), but because they are overrepresented. I’m looking for the less known, local yokel type places.
    My next stop- Jonnie’s Tavern.

Umm, you did know that was tongue in cheek right? I love that place.

KSquared

osulew wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>
    Well that reminds me:

Hey!

I need to read more carefully! :)
    I know, I am such a hermit, it’s terrible. Pizzabeer sounds like an awesome idea.

You aren’t a hermit, we’re just rarely in the same place at the same time. We shall organize a pizzabeering. I’m all over it.

Woohoo for Pizzabeer!

somertimeoh
    Participant

For Johnnie’s get there early. I think the kitchen closes at like 8 or something like that. We almost missed it one night and it wasn’t that late.

They’ll pop fresh popcorn for you at Bob’s Bar. Just ask.

And if that’s not above-average-y enough for ya, try the pizza at T.T. Murph’s on East Livingston.

Pizzabeer!

pez
    Participant

I’m on a quest to find the best (in my opinion) turkey rueben sandwich. I’ve got a few under my belt, but will withhold judgement until I’ve tried a few more. I’ll take suggestions and report back at some point. Oddly, I never had one until a waiter at Max and Erma’s suggested it to me. Then they pulled it off the menu, but they will still make it for you if you ask.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

pez wrote >>
    I’m on a quest to find the best (in my opinion) turkey rueben sandwich. I’ve got a few under my belt, but will withhold judgement until I’ve tried a few more. I’ll take suggestions and report back at some point. Oddly, I never had one until a waiter at Max and Erma’s suggested it to me. Then they pulled it off the menu, but they will still make it for you if you ask.

Have you tried the one at Milo’s Deli yet?

Mercurius
    Participant

I don’t know about turkey, but Danny’s has hands down the best rueben.

cowtownposse
    Participant

Re: Bob’s Bar, right next door to Pita Hut, for some of the best Middle Eastern in the city.

I like Cafe Bourbon St for Extreme Weiners inside the bar.

And the India Oak Pub is becoming one of my favourite watering holes near my house as of late. $3 Shiner Bock drafts and real dartboards have something to do with that. Haven’t tried their food yet though.

SusanB wrote >>
    Club 185- The mushroom soup has sherry in it, amazing.

I usually put Linda in mine

Valerie C.
    Participant

I like Harrisons on Third…good wings, pizza, apps. Gallos has great sandwiches with a really good beer selection. Speaking of beer, Bodega has an amazing brie platter. I also love Barley’s wings–they aren’t fried, so they aren’t as greasy.

DavidF
    Participant

Oh, and don’t forget the Hey Hey for sauerkraut balls. ummm.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION