Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Washington DC Recommendations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Washington DC Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

get a subway pass. Super easy to use and takes you all over.

We hit up the Eastern market when we were there last summer http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/

very north market feeling. The area around it is pretty cool also.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

0Angle said:
    My boys are 6 & 11 and the neighbor’s daughter is 12. There is some kinda pop culture Smithsonian that should provide some common ground for them, but I’m unable to googlize it.

Oh, I should have said that we’re not taking our kids. Though a pop culture museum is right up my alley too. ;)

vestanpance said:
    get a subway pass. Super easy to use and takes you all over.

Yes! We did the 3-day pass thing in SF a few years back and it works well.

We’re staying in Foggy Bottom, so I think we’ll be pretty centralized for walking to a lot of places, but transit will most certainly be utilized as well. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

I was just there this past weekend for a conference. Couldn’t go out to much to explore because of the conference schedule, but if you want Korean food, Mandu has some pretty decent grub. Also Urban Thai has some really tasty curry dishes. Avoid Chinatown by the Verizon Center, it’s become a small, Americanized shell of itself. If you want a late night kabob joint, Kabob Palace over by 23rd and Eads st. hits the spot. It gets really busy there, even at 3 am.

Museum wise, I went to both the Spy Museum (not part of the Smithsonian family, so there’s a fee) and Hirshhorn Museum (contemporary art). Great stuff in both!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

For food, I would strongly recommend Founding Farmers near GW’s campus. Order the fried green tomatoes and use the dipping sauces liberally. You’ll want to make your reservations on OpenTable soon, particularly if you go for brunch (which I’d recommend just as strongly).

For museums: the Newseum might be of particular interest to you, and I’ve never heard of anyone having anything but a wonderful experience there.

If you’re able to get in by Friday early evening, I would recommend visiting the National Gallery’s (I think) sculpture garden, where you’ll be entertained by jazz and sangria. One of the things I miss most about Washington.

Lastly, head to the Georgetown area (by cab or by walking, no train heads that way) and venture for a cupcake at Baked & Wired. You’ll have no choice but to avoid the better-known Georgetown Cupcake, which is not as good and is always more crowded.

sirlancelot
    Participant

Update: There will be no more tours of the White House (budget/sequestration) after this weekend. If the situation continues, we might see other D.C. attractions with reduced hours or closings.

If one has the time, I recommend a trip out to Annapolis for tours of downtown and Naval Academy. Weekdays, time it after 9:am or before 3:pm because rush hour is horrendous!

AmyArt21
    Participant

I was in DC last summer for a friend’s wedding and stayed in the Woodley Park/Zoo area. Lots of cute shops & restaurants, the zoo (obviously) within walking distance. Close to Rock Creek Park and not too far of a Metro ride to the Mall and whatnot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think our last trip to DC was in 96. The guvmint was shut down then too, but we still managed to see the Vermeer retrospective.
    I’m guessing that it’s causal.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Our DC basecamp is Bethesda. Tons of great restaurants, right on the metro red line and you can get cheap weekend hotel rates at hotels only a few blocks walk to the downtown Bethesda metro stop. Park your car the whole weekend.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

One of my favorite things in DC is Panas Gourmet Empanadas. There’s one on P, right near Dupont Circle. Really really really good empanadas. (Do not be confused or distracted by Julia’s empanadas elsewhere–not even in the same ball park.)

Right next door is Pizzeria Paradiso, also thumbs up.

U Street has a lot going for it these days. And I second the H Street Granville Moore’s suggestion. While there, check out The Gibson, a speakeasy style bar located just off of U on 14th. To help you find it, it’s next door to a restaurant called Marvin. They have great cocktails.

As far as sights to see, if you have access to a car, it’s really worth going to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum annex out by Dulles. For other museums, the American Art museum is in Gallery Place/Chinatown, so it’s often overlooked by people just headed down toward the Mall.

I could go on and on, but if you take only one thing from these suggestions of mine it’s that you should visit Panas. I wish they’d franchise…and then that someone would open one in Columbus. Panas is probably the thing I miss most about not living there anymore.

AMEEKER
    Participant

Last time we were in DC, we stayed at this place from AirBnB. It was fantastic, and in a great location. Really great if you have kids.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11785

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walker’s photo of the Dupont Circle Metro escalator reminded me that I hadn’t chimed in since our trip. It was even more fun than I expected. The Cherry Blossom festival was going on Easter Weekend, but the blossoms weren’t open yet. The Mall was still elbow to elbow because the Kite festival portion of the C.B.F. was a big draw. Upon arrival our Friday night dining plans were dashed by a 90 minute wait because we missed our target time of 6:00 because it proved difficult wrangling two families out of the hotel (Hilton; recommended, but I’m blissfully ignorant of the price) to Pizza Paradiso. Ironically, when I asked the hostess where we could get seated without a long wait, she suggested anyplace that doesn’t have craft beer. We caught the tail end of the Craft Brewers Conference and everyplace was packed because of tap takeovers.

We all loved both restaurants Alana recommended to me. Bistrot Du Coin[/url] on Easter Sunday and Zaytinya[/url] for lunch on Monday after the Spy Museum. Enjoyed all the museums but I don’t think that they could have been more crowded.
    Looking forward to returning now that I know how easy it is to get there (but watch out for the speeding cameras in Chevy Chase, they clocked ThaMissus at 43 in a 30 mph zone, dang it).

pecuniadea

if you like indian food, rasika is an absolutely incredible dining experience. i went in january during the inaugural, and it was fantastic, probably the best indian food i’ve had outside of india. i ate at the location in penn quarter, and it was incredible. http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/

another great place to eat is the pearl dive in logan circle. gets pretty busy at brunch time, but worth the wait: http://www.pearldivedc.com/

+1 to zaytinya — great $30 tasting menu with appetizer, entree, and dessert.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

0Angle said:
    Walker’s photo of the Dupont Circle Metro escalator reminded me that I hadn’t chimed in since our trip.

Heh. I’m still working on my five-page travel writeup since we went. Maybe it’ll go up in a day or two. ;) Sounds like we were there around the same time!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The lunchtime tasting menu was $25.00 for four wonderful courses. My six year old loves avegolemeno, and their version was a bowl of shredded white meat, edible flowers and greens, and a poached egg. They poured the lemony broth over top table side. Divine.
    AND THE BREAD WAS INFLATED LIKE A BATURA.

pez
    Participant

Postal Museum, no kidding. It’s free, right next to Union Station, really neat and has big wall mural of Columbus (High and Rich looking north?) from the early 1900s.

Walker, where did you stay?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: